Pimped

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
kenmoore

Pimped

Post by kenmoore »

Had the bike for 5 years now and always wanted to do this mod.

Part pimp with the gold and part upgrade!

05 ZX10 USD conversion.

Also fitted a quick action throttle, white tachometer face and wrapped the pipes while I was at it !

Now to ride and enjoy and set it up to suit.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Kev L

Re: Pimped

Post by Kev L »

Looking good, well done. Any clearance issues?
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

They look so nice
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

That looks the part :thumbup: . give us more details sir, what was needed,what needed changed?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

The conversion was /is not that hard.

Being the VTR forum whore that I am I did my research and procured parts from members on other sites.

After reading Mikstrs post on the superhawk site and taking his impressions as a true VTR owner on board I decided to do the 10 conversion due to the fact that I could retain the original wheel , axle and discs . That in itself is a big $ saving.

The first was to get a good set of 2005 ZX10'r forks that for some reason are much cheaper than all the other forks that I looked at.

Then I saw Mikstr advertise his already machined Yana Shinki top tripple that fits these forks so I bought it as well as his riser bars and he generously threw in the required spacers and a set of great ZCOO pads that fitted the 2009 triumph 675 Daytons calipers ( The same as what Mikstr still uses I believe.

I acquired the Triumph calipers and lines and matched radial master from a guy in Western Australia for a great price from gumtree.

The calipers took a trip to the machine shop and had 10mm machined from the mounting shoulders to accomodate the standard discs. If I go bigger on the discs all I need is some spacers. I also took Mikstrs advice on this and it worked out perfect!

The lower tripple that I used was from a 2009 CBR600rr that I got from the states.

Using these parts allows the standard VTR stem bearings to be used, of course I fitted a new set of tapered ones.

I got a new 10 fender from China via EBay and painted it black myself to match my braced swinger.

A few bolts here and there as well as a new braided line from the master and hey presto you see the end result.

Early days however my impressions are that the brakes are wicked compared to the F4i units that I had even if I did use the standard m/c while I wait for a new brake lever for the Triumph radial master and the bike tracks and rides much much better over the rough stuff.

All in all a satisfying mod with a great return at a minimal price and minimum of fuss.

I love the look, I like the ride and I would much rather throw the $ at the VTR and improve an already great bike.

There were a few small hiccups and a couple of extra things like filing the steering stops and buying a couple of fasteners but all in all a fuss free conversion.

Mikstr was an invaluable source of parts and information for me during this exercise.

I took several measurements before dismantling the standard front end so that the ergonomics of the bike would be the same as before due to the adjustability of the Apex riser bars.

Owning this bike almost makes me feel like a member of a religious order, for want of a better word "Bretheren" as there are soo many people around the world that feel and believe in the VTR like I do.

I will post my impressions as I ride the bike more and hopefully inspire someone else to do this mod !

Cheers from Down Under.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice one :thumbup: the fact you are able to retain the wheels appeals to me.. so really. 10 front end with blade bottom yoke, the rest is just playing about a bit?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Looking real nice :thumbup: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nice one......... I keep getting tempted by a USD conversion, then decide I don't have the free time and like the fight you have with the std bike flexing, it makes you work for your speed :lol:

this kit might change my mind... again
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I spy with my little eye Mikstr's steering stem top brace there. Looking good as always mate. :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Ya tart !
Looks very nice
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

USD and SSSA best mods, Bugger i sold the CB1000R, however i have seen a CBF with a SSSA !!!!
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

Sorry forgot, great looking bike. :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Hey Bigtwin,

The neighbour over the road has a sad VFR with a SSSA.

Just waiting for it to sh1t itself so I can buy the wreck from him.

Bloody Hondas, the thing just keeps going.

Oh well one day.

Thanks for all the comments everyone.

Cheers From Down Under :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Great conversion Ken, well done :clap: :clap:
Thanks for the photo's and very good informative write-up 8)

Chris.
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

kenmoore wrote:The conversion was /is not that hard.

Being the VTR forum whore that I am I did my research and procured parts from members on other sites.

After reading Mikstrs post on the superhawk site and taking his impressions as a true VTR owner on board I decided to do the 10 conversion due to the fact that I could retain the original wheel , axle and discs . That in itself is a big $ saving.

The first was to get a good set of 2005 ZX10'r forks that for some reason are much cheaper than all the other forks that I looked at.

Then I saw Mikstr advertise his already machined Yana Shinki top tripple that fits these forks so I bought it as well as his riser bars and he generously threw in the required spacers and a set of great ZCOO pads that fitted the 2009 triumph 675 Daytons calipers ( The same as what Mikstr still uses I believe.

I acquired the Triumph calipers and lines and matched radial master from a guy in Western Australia for a great price from gumtree.

The calipers took a trip to the machine shop and had 10mm machined from the mounting shoulders to accomodate the standard discs. If I go bigger on the discs all I need is some spacers. I also took Mikstrs advice on this and it worked out perfect!

The lower tripple that I used was from a 2009 CBR600rr that I got from the states.

Using these parts allows the standard VTR stem bearings to be used, of course I fitted a new set of tapered ones.

I got a new 10 fender from China via EBay and painted it black myself to match my braced swinger.

A few bolts here and there as well as a new braided line from the master and hey presto you see the end result.

Early days however my impressions are that the brakes are wicked compared to the F4i units that I had even if I did use the standard m/c while I wait for a new brake lever for the Triumph radial master and the bike tracks and rides much much better over the rough stuff.

All in all a satisfying mod with a great return at a minimal price and minimum of fuss.

I love the look, I like the ride and I would much rather throw the $ at the VTR and improve an already great bike.

There were a few small hiccups and a couple of extra things like filing the steering stops and buying a couple of fasteners but all in all a fuss free conversion.

Mikstr was an invaluable source of parts and information for me during this exercise.

I took several measurements before dismantling the standard front end so that the ergonomics of the bike would be the same as before due to the adjustability of the Apex riser bars.

Owning this bike almost makes me feel like a member of a religious order, for want of a better word "Bretheren" as there are soo many people around the world that feel and believe in the VTR like I do.

I will post my impressions as I ride the bike more and hopefully inspire someone else to do this mod !

Cheers from Down Under.
I am happy someone else can now confirm what I have been saying for some time now about Zcoo pads. Best pads I have tried, and I have tried quite a few of the highly rated ones (Vesrah RJL and SRJL, HRC hard bite, Carbone Lorraine CL60), in addition to some others and Zcoo are tops (I would still be using them if I wasn't running Braketech CMC rotors - considering how expensive and rare these rotors are, I am using the mfr's recommended pads, Ferodo XRACs). Maybe others supposedly looking for top pads will now pay attention.
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express