Project Blue MK2

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
StormyRob

Re: Third time the charm?

Post by StormyRob »

Managed to make the forks look better and now on the bike along with the little fork brace.

ImageImageImage
ImageImage

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
Last edited by StormyRob on Thu Jan 26, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Nice...Good work Rob... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Thanks Mac. Had some issues with pics there so the post has changed a few times!

StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Today I ventured out of my comfort zone. I decided to rebuild the calipers. Picked up a seal kit for 45 from wemoto down the road and had to get myself a piston puller.

As you can see the caliper is quite manky and looks like there is a seized piston.

I actually don't think they've ever been opened up. Could be wrong.

Gave the outside a clean too.

Fitted the new stainless bolts. Appreciate there could be discussion over this but others have used them for some time with no issues.

And back on the bike.

Other one for comparison

Now unfortunately the piston puller broke (threads went wrong) so I only managed to open the other one. Still need to replace the seals in it.
Gave it a little clean anyway

Should have the other one done tomorrow hopefully, time permitting.

Hopefully they still work!!!

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Some difference Rob :thumbup: a messy job but worth doing.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Got my six spoke wheels back from the powder coater. Hadn't masked off what needed to be masked off so brought them back and he used some chemical to make them better.

Unfortunately the front had some hidden pitting but I'm happy enough with them.

A big fan of the right angle valves even if they did cost a fortune

Waiting on some sprocket nuts coming.

Also still considering some new discs but so unaffordable!

I got some new disc bolts. Appreciate the standard ones are best but I'm giving them a go. Just a loose fitting at the moment to see what they're like

KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Where did you get the right angle valves? All the ones I've seen are rubbish.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Got them in Alfs motorcycles in Worthing. Not sure where the supplier is
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

StormyRob wrote:Got them in Alfs motorcycles in Worthing. Not sure where the supplier is
Excellent. I've ordered 4. Get them next week.

Cheers for that.

ps. They remembered you. Were you "the stroppy bloke with a big nose and sticky out ears"?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

That sounds about right! Hope you're happy with them. The close up of them on the wheel made me think they look quite smart.
StormyRob

Re: Project Blue MK2

Post by StormyRob »

Had the bike for a while now. To be honest it's not really been used by me as it was quite tatty and I didn't feel comfortable riding it until it was better. Also the rear tyre was squared off which isn't nice. Not to mention the rest of it.

Anyway it seemed to be running a bit funny. Paul (vtrphoenix) was happy to give me a hand with it which has been absolutely appreciated. The man knows his stuff.
Was a bit wary of the chance of rain when he came down so bought a gazebo!

It ended up not raining but a handy thing to have when bike returns to my house.

When it came to doing the ccts it seemed as though the bike was running on one cylinder.
Compression test was done and registered a big fat zero.

The first issue was those ridiculous exhaust studs. One came off fine but the other was solid.
Spent quite some time with a nut splitter and a dremel and eventually it came off like this

She was opened up and the front head was taken out. It became clear immediately the front has gone in the past as there was basically a brand new (auto) cct in there with the gasket.

On further examination these were found.

Two bent valves!!! They weren't as bad as I have seen from others but bent nonetheless.

Unfortunately they're 50 quid a go for exhaust ones. No one ever sells a front head for obvious reasons but had a look for a rear head and managed to get one nearby.

We headed to Surrey and picked up the head before removing the two nice valves from it.

They were placed into my front head and it was all put back together with new manual ccts.
Compression test now shows 152 on front and rear with engine stone cold. At the minute the bike is running a little rough (hunting) but hopefully a Carb balance should sort that.

I have to really give a huge thanks to Paul. He gave up a lot of his own time for no reason other than to help someone out. Fantastic fella who also managed to teach me a fair bit. Never thought I'd be removing valves from a head and I think if I had a front cylinder issue now I could make a go at fixing it.

Since then I've polished up the cans. I am deciding if I should actually just keep them. I really like how they sound. I just want that bit of damage fixed.

I also put the new six spoke wheels on as well as the renthal sprockets and DID chain. New cush drive rubbers. New bearings. I didn't have a chain breaker so resorted to this....

Trusty hacksaw!! It worked and that's what matters.

Avert your eyes for these ones.....

Rotten eh?!?!

Used a chain tool Paul gave me which did the trick...

Got them on.

Quite happy with the chain and the wheels. Getting entire bike resprayed so they should contrast better.

Having it resprayed is why I wasn't too unhappy when this happened...

He got in around my feet when I was moving it and in no effort to avoid standing on him it went over. Only light damage and nothing broken.

Yesterday I put the bike into a warmer temporary home. Other bike is a project fireblade. Image

Today I took off the rest of her clothes and front fairing stay. Leaving into spray shop tomorrow for a colour change. Got myself another set of front fairings so I can have better condition ones at the front. My left one has been repaired but was damaged in the past.

Courtesy of Paul and his excellent use of a drill we manage to swap the top yoke over to a black one with no annoying holes in it. Also put in new all balls bearings at the same time.

I also put one half of some danmoto rearsets on.

Front calipers have new seals all round. Also have new stainless bolts in there.

And that's it for now. There are a few things I've forgotten but will add in when I get a chance.

I've bought quite a few items and will update shortly.

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

busy man indeed :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Mav617

Post by Mav617 »

Fancy swapping for teal bodywork Rob?
I'm so unlucky that if there is such a thing as re-incarnation I'll come back as me!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Mav617 wrote:Fancy swapping for teal bodywork Rob?

Thanks Mav but I'll pass. I have more fairings and they're being painted candy blue. Or perhaps a slightly darker version.
The fairings you see on the bike at the front will be for sale once I get the headlight out. Right one is pretty good. Left one has had damage repaired and the centre isn't too bad. Has a lug missing a bit. All repairable but I've take the easy option as a cheap set of fairings came up.

Rob
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Left the bodywork, tank, cam covers, rear pegs, front fairing stay and Subframe in to be sprayed and powder coated today. Will be a couple of weeks but £200 cost makes it worth the longer turnaround.