Project Blue MK2

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
StormyRob

Re: Third time the charm?

Post by StormyRob »

And on that note......

Bought one in black. Obviously new. Comes pre drilled with all brackets etc. Can't be bother fixing one up. I had seen that one mate buy decided against it after some words of encouragement from a very tall man.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

When I got this bike I couldn't test ride it as I wasn't insured to. ( my luck would have meant I'd be caught had I tried and I hate people riding or driving with no insurance)

Anyway I checked it out as best as I could and was pretty happy with it for the money.

Just now I've come back in from a 10-12 mile ride. I just wanted to make sure she moved as she should and stopped as she should. I have to say I absolutely loved it!

It was obviously wet so was not ragging it but f#@# me are those cans loud. They sound absolutely amazing to my ears! The only slight issue I had was the levers. They point downwards from the bars more than I'd like which is an easy fix obviously.

Very happy with the purchase and am more sure than ever the third time will be the charm. Won't be on it again until I ride up to Slough where Paul (vtrphoenix) is going to give me a hand sorting out a few bits. (what a fantastic offer that was).
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Well after Mac (max) sorted me out with my final bits I feel like I am done for now. Gonna be a busy month or two and over the last few days I have become just a tad obsessed. Many bits have already arrived and the rest is ordered or waiting for collection.
Have felt the need to sort the following;

Six spoke rear
Six spoke front
Ccts
Aftermarket bellypan
Replacement seat cowl (twice! Thanks Kev)
New dark screen
New indicators for the rear
Dropped wheels off to be powder coated
New bearings for wheels, sprocket, shock and steering.
New black levers
Replacement cush drive
New cush drive rubbers
New ignition security bolts
New BT016 tyres ( although may end up with BT023)
Rear renthal sprocket
Front renthal sprocket
New DID gold heavy duty chain
New motobatt battery
Replacement side light
Replacement mirrors
Braided lines
Replacement mudguard
Replacement oil cooler
Replacement top yoke
Changing reg rec to finned.
And finally the respray to candy Tahitian blue.
I'll also be painting fork lowers black as well as painting the engine casings. Quite unsure if what to do with swingarm as it's a tad rough. Polish maybe along with headers but I'll need tips on the swingarm.

Basically sorting everything I'm not entirely happy with for one reason or another. Costing a small fortune doing it all at once but I am hoping I'll be happy with it! Obviously no blingy bits in there but that'll come with some time. Gonna have it sorted soon. Stick it through MOT in March and hopefully have a great summer as I missed out last year entirely. Will be ready by the time Grainstorm goes ahead. Looking forward to that!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

nice one :thumbup: :thumbup: ... so only a small list of to do things then lol.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Have to thank the people in this forum for their knowledge. I'd never have been able to have my bike's rear off the ground safely if it wasn't for it.

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
StormyRob

Almost murdered my storm

Post by StormyRob »

Ok. Firstly it is important to note I worked a nightshift last night. I have three days off now and I usually try to push through the first without sleep so my sleeping pattern gets back in track quickly. This morning I left the Mrs to work and returnee home. I thought tinkering with the bike would be a good way to get myself through the day.....

Bad idea!

I got myself a new motobatt battery recently as I thought it would be a decent upgrade. I took the old one out, screwed the little fittings onto the new battery and then pushed the battery into the tray. Easy job. Turned on the ignition and I heard the slightest noise, like a crack.

No lights on the dash :/

Realised immediately what a tw@ I had been as I'd put the battery in the wrong way round!!! Could not believe it!

The main fuse had blown. There was a spare in the back of the solenoid o. Put it in, hoping for the best. NOOOOO.
Another fuse blown. Went to Halfords. Picked up another couple of fuses and they both blew the second I connected the battery (which was now the right way around)

So I was pretty annoyed at this stage. I thought I could replace with a brand new relay as wemoto is only a few miles from me. 30 minutes later I had a new solenoid for £20.
Plugged it in and connected the battery. Guess what.....Yes the dam fuse blew again.

I then realised I still had not fitted the finned reg/rec I got grok Mac last week. The rectifier looked absolutely fine and I could not see anything burnt.

I changed the rectifier. Had to go to Halfords again to get more fuses. Plugged everything in and when I connected the battery I didn't hear the little cracking noise. I turned the key in the ignition and hey presto! Lights in the dash!

The bike started in a heartbeat. The battery is definitely a help. Learned a lesson today. Lost more money today. But rescued my storm today so I actually feel happy.

Have to say thanks to ConTRo13R and Fabiostar who gave me some ideas and pointers. Glad to have it sorted!
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

just seeing this now. sorry my dam fone died on me earlier but happy days you got it sorted :clap: :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

fabiostar wrote:just seeing this now. sorry my dam fone died on me earlier but happy days you got it sorted :clap: :clap: :clap:
No problem mate. Thanks for your initial thoughts! Very pleased now. Nearly cried earlier!
j4weeson

Post by j4weeson »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Vfr400- ... Sw5cNYG4Yl

Would this fit the front of my storm? It looks like the same rim on the previous page

Thanks
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

j4weeson wrote:http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Honda-Vfr400- ... Sw5cNYG4Yl

Would this fit the front of my storm? It looks like the same rim on the previous page

Thanks
Yes that fits but that's dam expensive!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Oh hang on. That is MY wheel. I bought it outside of eBay so he has put the price up to stop people buying it.
However if you would like to pay me 300 plus postage I'd be happy to sell it!!!! :D
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

I think I did something similar regarding the motobatt battery, the way they have the terminals set out, means its easily done, just be careful not to chew the brass terminals up, they're made of cheese on those batteries.
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

agentpineapple wrote:I think I did something similar regarding the motobatt battery, the way they have the terminals set out, means its easily done, just be careful not to chew the brass terminals up, they're made of cheese on those batteries.
The terminals are a tad different. Two on each side. I'll use that as my excuse!
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StormyRob wrote:
agentpineapple wrote:I think I did something similar regarding the motobatt battery, the way they have the terminals set out, means its easily done, just be careful not to chew the brass terminals up, they're made of cheese on those batteries.
The terminals are a tad different. Two on each side. I'll use that as my excuse!
Excuse...? Nowt to do with not seeing the + & - marks then ? Should have gone to Specsavers... :lol:

TBH I put one in the wrong way round once, didn't get as far as conecting it up wrong as I realised something was wrong when the +ive cable didn't reach the terminal & I had the :Wall: moment after trying to stretch it to fit for 10mins...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I'm just glad it didn't do more damage! Little bit of trial and error solved it.