Project Blue MK2

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
StormyRob

Project Blue MK2

Post by StormyRob »

So.

My first storm was silver. 40k miles or so and a bit of cheap tat. I got rid and got the blue storm.

Well that was nicer and had about 25k. That ended in absolute disaster.

Just a few hours ago I picked up my third storm. It's a 1998 with 11k on it. I got it cheap. It has a hidden past I think as the left fairing is a different shade to the rest.
Anyway mechanically it's fantastic. So far I am happy with it. Obviously it's dark as I'm typing so I can't clean it up or take photos just yet. It's basically standard aside from a rear hugger, aftermarket screen and some Harris cans :)

Oh, also aftermarket indicators ( have a full set of standards if anyone is interested).

I do hope the third attempt works out for me. I won't be doing too much to it. However I think I'll be respraying it unless I fall in love with yellow! And I am a bit OCD so that different shade will frustrate me if I don't.

Needs manual ccts but that will be sorted soon enough. I won't be riding until March. Bike has only done 3k or so in ten years. Shameful. I hope to increase that a bit this year.

Will update with pics soon enough.
Last edited by StormyRob on Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
BigVeeGrin

Re: Third time the charm?

Post by BigVeeGrin »

Fingers crossed - to be fair after a silver and blue experience life is bound to look brighter ......
StormyRob wrote: However I think I'll be respraying it unless I fall in love with yellow!
on second thoughts only if you reach for the black paint :wink:

:thumbup: be good to see the pics
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good luck with it and glad you stuck to a Vtr
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

I think I am going candy blue! It'll remind me of the last one!!!

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Having looked quite closely I am pretty sure it's been down on the left side so someone has resprayed the fairings after some light repair. I'll have a better look over the next few days. mechanically seems fantastic.

Engine is very clean aside from usual muck at the front but I think that'll just clean off which is nice as I won't have to paint the engine!

Obligatory bins included obviously.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Stickers on the tank and tail could be covering up scuffs from the off. And fairing VTR decals look home made. Did it come with the plastic seat cover?

What's the black strip immediately above the headlight? tape?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

As long as all the mechanical bits are making the right noises,the rest is just cosmetics and will surely get done over time.Good luck with it anyway. :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Wicky wrote:Stickers on the tank and tail could be covering up scuffs from the off. And fairing VTR decals look home made. Did it come with the plastic seat cover?

What's the black strip immediately above the headlight? tape?
Yea I think the stickers probably are but not too fussed about that as I'm 90 percent sure I'm changing the colour.

Re the headlight....it's actually a bit of rubber...as if someone decided to seal the little gap up. I've played around with it. It isn't covering anything or holding anything in place so I'm really not sure
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

When you get it apart check all the fairing (& hidden inner panels) fasteners and headlight fastening screws are all accounted for. As it might cover a bodge that led to a loose vibrating headlight stopped by that strip of rubber.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
TheGingerBeardMan

Post by TheGingerBeardMan »

I don't think the eyeball stickers are to hide a scrape - they are too symmetrical on placement. I just think they are there for a pillion leg / paint protection, hence no seat cowl.

The same applies I think for the decals on the tank - it's a strange placement, and where they are (right on the sticking out corner lump of the tank), if you have a pillion, the rider would be further on to the tank with their knees - right where those decals are.... So, who knows, it might be someones cheap way of protecting the paint!

Let me know how that oil temperature gauge in the casing performs, as I was gonna get one but couldn't justify the price for the size of it (ok it 's only about 20 quid).

If you don't like it, then can I ask for first offer if you want to sell it! (assuming it's the right one for the strom, with the very short ''internal dipstick'')

A set of handlebar weights is a must, to cut down on the wrists going dead with the vibration.

All in all, it looks a tidy bike, decent rubber, cans not dinged, and fork paint in good nick too. :thumbup:

As said above, the mechanicals and how it runs n' sounds is the main thing. Cosmetics can be tackled later.....although I'd be keeping it in the yellow if it were mine.

If you are gonna remove the stickers, take a hair dryer and warm them up first - that way you are not peeling the decal off cold and leaving half of it behind. More importantly if the rear section has been resprayed over another colour - you don't want the decal taking off the top paint!
Last edited by TheGingerBeardMan on Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it ain't broken...f*ck about with it until it is.

TAX: 1st March 2017
MOT: 16th March 2017
INS: 14th March 2017
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

There are no inner fairing panels.

I am one hundred percent it's gone down at some point but it's still a straight bike. I'm definitely not too worried about that. I'll get the inner fairings and other bits once o write down my list of bits.

I am really hoping I do not become obsessed again......

Thanks for the input fellas.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

StormyRob wrote:There are no inner fairing panels.

I am one hundred percent it's gone down at some point but it's still a straight bike. I'm definitely not too worried about that. I'll get the inner fairings and other bits once o write down my list of bits.

I have some of those innner fairing pannels IIRC for some reason I have two left hand ones & no right one...Have to check on that but let me know if any good to you...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
StormyRob

Re: RE: Re: Third time the charm?

Post by StormyRob »

MacV2 wrote:

I have some of those innner fairing pannels IIRC for some reason I have two left hand ones & no right one...Have to check on that but let me know if any good to you...
Thanks Mac. I'll have a decent look at the bike once the weather clears up. At the minute she's nicely covered up until I get my cheap shelter!!!

Ant

Post by Ant »

Hello Rob,

Glad to you see you're back on a bike I'll keep and eye out for you round brighton!

Ant
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
MacV2

Re: RE: Re: Third time the charm?

Post by MacV2 »

StormyRob wrote:
MacV2 wrote:

Thanks Mac. I'll have a decent look at the bike once the weather clears up. At the minute she's nicely covered up until I get my cheap shelter!!!

Hahahaha Yeah ya tight butt... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...