Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

Here's some pictures of the exhaust welded up & polished.

I have fitted it on the bike after I welded it up & low & behold it still fits 8O

Its now ready to fit it back on to the bike again & mark it up for welding on the spring hoops.

It was pitch black when I finished polishing, so I popped to the house to take a picture & show the misses.

Odd how they don't appreciate a well polished exhaust like us guys do.. :lol:

I did do one major rock up but hey ho, I doubt it'll be the last one on this project. Who can spot it :oops:

Here's the polishing death trap.

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:54 pm WELD IT UP, IT LOOKS SWEET
Agree, but if I was to start getting critical I would say to pull that front u-bend in closer to the cylinder. Oh...and your defo going to need some heat protection on the legs.
==============================Enter the Darkside
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Missed a weld ,

Looks the goods mate.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I bet your misses is more proud of you than your think. She's not letting on but you will have some polishing to do indoors now you have proved your skills. Those cannons could do with a polish :lol:

I didn't notice you had welded it up. I missed that post. Too drunk and took a small overdose to make myself pain free last night. A little cocktail of alcohol and pills to give me a break. :roll: I say last night, it was only a few hours ago but I have just woken up with a banging head.

Looks bloody awsome all polished up like that. I truly am gobsmacked by the workmanship and skills involved. I don't think we have had anyone build a custom exhaust header on here before. This build is the kind of thing that could end up in a bike mag article and well deservd too :thumbup: I can't see any major wombles up's but sometimes only a workman can see their own mistakes. My gawd that is a work of art. Could you imagine if that was all Ti :wink: Well done :clap: :clap: :clap:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks Mr Dark :wink: :thumbup:

I really appreciate the comments, like a pat on the back :thumbup:

When I started this project I didn't think I'd be still at it 12 months later & only half way through to boot.

Tbh, it's gotten a little out of hand & i'll be glad to see the back of this exhaust faf. Hopefully the frame will be sorted next.

During this exhaust faf, a few things have had to be changed. The biggie being the seat height has been raised. I tried my very best to keep it low & early Harley XR750 looking, but with the exhaust following the lines of the frame it has forced my hand.

Initially I was very disappointed, but the knock on has been that the inch or so extra seat height has made it possible to fit a CBR600 battery under there.

My reason to use a CBR battery is that when the Varadero battery packed in a few years ago, I nicked & fitted the CBR one. I've been using it ever since, it's the same size from above, it's just a little shorter.

The plan is that one battery fits them all. I am not looking forward to the wiring btw.

Hopefully I'll get these spring hoops on today :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

that is a proper home build :thumbup: :thumbup: .. as mr dark said this thing is just waiting to get into a mag :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Cheers Fabio, but I doubt it. If I started jumping buses maybe :lol:

Guy's I'm stuck. I've been staring at the exhaust on the bike all morning & can't decide where to put the springs.

Obviously on the joints, but which position. Some I have no option, but the "U" section has got me. Inline, front & back or each side :problem:

Been looking online for pictures, but nothing I like can be seen.

Anything welcomed, thanks in advance :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

like on motox bikes. use three hooks and two springs. so one end of each springs attaches to a single hook and the other ends spread out in a V to the two hooks on the other side of the joint.... if that makes sense?
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

like on motox bikes. use three hooks and two springs. so one end of each springs attaches to a single hook and the other ends spread out in a V to the two hooks on the other side of the joint.... if that makes sense?

looked at from the side the single hook is at 9 oclock the other at 12 and 6..
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Well done Vara, what an amazing job :clap: :clap: :clap: Those headers look amazing all polished up like that.

Your welding is definitely getting neater too 8)

Great work.

As for the springs, it's really what you like the look of for the positioning. If it were me it would be one spring top and one bottom,

Chris.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

+1 on the welding :thumbup:

re. springs - anyplace they don't interfer with the heatshield and the hairs on your legs if you decide to ride with shorts in summer!

Fabio is there a pattern to how your moris are pulled together and photos that give an example to follow?
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks again guys :thumbup:

I did it, what an awkward job.

I ended up starting from the rear as the silencers already had lugs on. Then carrying that same orientation theme through the whole system.

Top & bottom all the way. Copied my CBR6's Arrow system spring hoop gap of 100mm & stretched the Chinese springs to suit.

The groin section is slightly different, it has a 1 o'clock & 7 o'clock position. So that the springs are tucked away under the tank.

Didn't finish it till 1am, so no pictures till tomorrow :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I came up with this idea of a jig to set up the spring hoop location, worked ok too :thumbup:

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Fitted it on the bike this morning, not too sure what to do about the mistake yet :oops:

Apart from the mistake, I'm made up. It's only an hour job to rectify but I've had enough to be honest.

It's absolutely solid, fits like a glove & no touching of the frame or other pipes

Bit too many springs maybe..

VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Is the mistake not firing up the barbecue because of an instant barbecue warning :lol: You have a bit of a rust issue with th frame there. What's the plans with that one. Springs look good :thumbup: