Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by fabiostar »

bloody love this bike :D . id also vote for 17" wheels running the likes of Dunlop mutant tyres for the flat track look.

ps. did we ever find out what bike the petrol tank came from???????????
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Yes I love the bike too and still wonder where the tank came from!
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:56 pm bloody love this bike :D . id also vote for 17" wheels running the likes of Dunlop mutant tyres for the flat track look.

ps. did we ever find out what bike the petrol tank came from???????????
kenmoore wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:43 am Yes I love the bike too and still wonder where the tank came from!
Cheers guys, I need another one & they are rare. As soon as I get one I'll tell all :thumbup:

Thanks for the tyre tip Fabio :thumbup:

Right then, yesterday I was busy. I finally de-trombone'd the front pipe.

I feel it was a bit of a cut'n shut job, but here's the pictures.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I feel good that I sorted the exhaust yesterday but today it was all change again & I'm back on track building the bike that I want.

Today I've measured up & decided to chop the rear frame lower supports. It might not be to everyone's taste but I'm hunting for that old fashioned Harley flat track look & feel that this is the only way to go.

It's a biggie, as I know the exhaust won't fit anymore & it'll require more cuttin'n & shutti'n to fit it again.. if it'll fit at all.

I worked it out this morning & decided that 2" needed to be removed from the rear lowers to enable the rear of the tank to be lowered ½" so it's just above the rear rocker breather (as low as possible).

This would make the lower tank edge line & seat base line up horizontally & hopefully give the seat/ass the old fashioned low twin shock look.

It was a super bright low sun so I used a piece of exhaust tube as a lens shade :lol:

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

This is an old picture, one I keep referring to & what I was attempting to achieve with the bike.

This is what I've achieved today. A little bit of persuasion was needed with the exhaust bracket & system & bingo it still fits & I think it looks ok too.

I've welded it back up & feel a lot happier with how it sits.

Battery box fabrication coming soon :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

now thats sitting proper flat tracker stylee :eek2 :eek2 .
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Getting closer ?
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That trombone part (as you called it :wink: ) looks a lot better :clap: :thumbup:

The new tank level looks better as well :D

Chris.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:28 pm Image

That trombone part (as you called it :wink: ) looks a lot better :clap: :thumbup:

Chris.
I like the look of the clean steel exhaust tubing, I really do...... but that section that would be under my leg and the other one in front of my knee.... Id have to wrap it.

Many are familiar with resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap.... and most that have used it hate it at least a little....
Good news, I have a new source Im using for wiring sheathing.. They supply the little guy to Aerospace, Military Air Forces and race car teams with unlimited budgets .
Company is called TechFlex https://www.techflex.com/ and they have a product called Volcano Wrap> https://www.techflex.com/high-temperature/volcano-wrap
VOLCANO WRAP (VW) is made from continuous filament basalt fiber and is engineered for protection from temperatures 1,500°F. When wrapped around exhaust pipes, the unique construction creates attractive and durable finished product.

Volcano Wrap is 25% stronger and provides a 300°F increase in temperature protection over fiberglass wrap. The product is very rugged, and will not exhibit any vibration damage over long periods of use.

The volcanic rock fiber wrap is easy to install and will provide years of protection and good looks.
volcano  wrap.jpg
volcano wrap.jpg (71.71 KiB) Viewed 2892 times
I have ordered some and some stainless steel bands to install and see if I like it.

I'm sure the "It will rot your pipes" comments will crop up. a response in advance.
I used standard resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap for 4 years on my first VTR, I had those headers ceramic coated later so unwrapped to send in..after unwrapping them, they had no observable damage, corrosion issues at all. Now that's here in the US, in a state that does not treat streets with chemicals except for a few days in the winter months when we might have black ice..Im not riding those few days.
And I ride in a US state that likely sees less raining weather days then many in the UK..So that might make a difference in my results vs yours.

That said, I'll let you know how the volcano wrap works out, so if you later feel (pun intended) the heat from your pipe is too much, maybe you'll have an option that is better then standard fiberglass header wrap.

Cheers

Erik
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

My pipes were rusty under wrap, but I still see the benefits from wrapping the rear pipe. So last time I did, I just put protective coat paint under it. It is not visible when wrapped ...
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Chris.
Thanks Chris, only small changes but I feel they're in the right direction :thumbup:
E.Marquez wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:24 pm

Chris.
I like the look of the clean steel exhaust tubing, I really do...... but that section that would be under my leg and the other one in front of my knee.... Id have to wrap it.

Many are familiar with resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap.... and most that have used it hate it at least a little....
Good news, I have a new source Im using for wiring sheathing.. They supply the little guy to Aerospace, Military Air Forces and race car teams with unlimited budgets .
Company is called TechFlex https://www.techflex.com/ and they have a product called Volcano Wrap> https://www.techflex.com/high-temperature/volcano-wrap
VOLCANO WRAP (VW) is made from continuous filament basalt fiber and is engineered for protection from temperatures 1,500°F. When wrapped around exhaust pipes, the unique construction creates attractive and durable finished product.

Volcano Wrap is 25% stronger and provides a 300°F increase in temperature protection over fiberglass wrap. The product is very rugged, and will not exhibit any vibration damage over long periods of use.

The volcanic rock fiber wrap is easy to install and will provide years of protection and good looks.
volcano wrap.jpg

I have ordered some and some stainless steel bands to install and see if I like it.

I'm sure the "It will rot your pipes" comments will crop up. a response in advance.
I used standard resin impregnated fiberglass header wrap for 4 years on my first VTR, I had those headers ceramic coated later so unwrapped to send in..after unwrapping them, they had no observable damage, corrosion issues at all. Now that's here in the US, in a state that does not treat streets with chemicals except for a few days in the winter months when we might have black ice..Im not riding those few days.
And I ride in a US state that likely sees less raining weather days then many in the UK..So that might make a difference in my results vs yours.

That said, I'll let you know how the volcano wrap works out, so if you later feel (pun intended) the heat from your pipe is too much, maybe you'll have an option that is better then standard fiberglass header wrap.

Cheers

Erik
Cheers Erik :thumbup: Thanks.

I will be looking into this Volcano wrap stuff when I get to firing it up, if I ever get there :roll: :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I’ve started on the electrics & the battery box. I’m trying to think ahead & make bits that will/might do other jobs later on.

The initial idea was to make an aluminium box that would be able to be slid in'n out. Welded together out of the frame & slide it in when complete & be able to be removed if required.

My second idea was to make the box out of the rear subframe. I was just going to cut & fit 1mm steel plate in the subframe floor & sides & weld them in. Then I thought it would look a bit heavy duty/armoured car’ish.

Both the ideas were flawed because of the holes that were needed to be cut to enable the large electrical plugs

My next idea was to make an aluminium box that would be held together by various lugs & webs welded to the subframe. By doing it this way I would accomplish three things.

1. Increase the room inside the box.
2. Allow me to weld in heavy duty lugs that could hold exhausts either side & I’m still thinking of maybe a twin shock conversion as well.
3. Looks similar to a Harley XR under seat oil tank.

Here are some pictures.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Another issue is where to put the clocks, or clock.

I will be using the original unit to make sure all is behaving & once it’s all reliable it’ll be replaced with an all in one Chinese unit.

To me, the number board is effectively the front fairing & the fitting of the clocks must either be behind it, handlebar mounted; or low, in front of the carb.

This is an idea I quite like, not sure if the cables will like the constant left/right bending though.

This is my first attempt.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Here are a few pictures of the loom placed in, on & through the frame.

What a faf, the Varadero loom used to run along the left side of the frame. The exhaust runs way too close now, so I’ve attempted to run it on the central spine. The loom’s way too long, so I’ve doubled it back on itself as well. It’s not pretty, but I’d like to keep the loom as standard as possible in case of any issues. Then I can just swap in another.

By routing it this way, it looks as if the only wires that need to be extended are the temperature/thermostat wires.

The loom that I’m using for electrical placement looks well knackered but it’ll do for finding out what’s what.

Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I’ve been busy making some heavy duty webs for the rear subframe, these were made using the tail end of the templates that were also used to make the aluminium side plates.

The idea is to weld these 3mm inboard of the subframe outer edge. So when the aluminium sides are bolted to them they will be flush to the frame.

They are made from heavy 5mm plate & will be drilled & tapped were required. For now, the left side will be supporting the exhaust but if it’s too uncomfortable to ride due to heat from the pipes they’ll have to go & a standard’ish setup will be able to be fitted using these plates to hang the silencers.

Also, they could be used to hold the shocks if & do go short swingarm & twin shock.

Well, that’s the idea anyway.