Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
AMCQ46

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by AMCQ46 »

its great when the problem can be brought back to sit at the bosses door......... despite the 3 extra loops of sanding & prep, I bet you spent all day laughing after you found out
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I was smiling while typing it, crazy days :lol:

Yesterday I managed to get my old man around & a mate popped over as well. All three of us gave the loom routing a good stare on my new seating & staring area & we came up with a new route that looks great.

I recon it was all to do with the new seating area which I did last week. Here's some pictures of before & after.

In fact the wiring is so good it looks brilliant & you can hardly see it it's that fantastic. Get the idea :wink: I'm made up :D

By routing it this way we've managed a few things. No wires need extending, no wires go near the exhaust & plenty of room under the seat with everything tidy & in it's place.

The horrific yellow birdnest wiring is only because the black tape has been removed as it was lose.

I'm in the process of making lugs to hold the aluminium box/plates together then brackets to secure the electrical gubbins :thumbup:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The dog don't look best pleased about it.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

lol dog looks proper pissed :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

The dog looks like mischief. Nice chainsaw :thumbup:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The dog, the best £38 I ever spent, was sniffin out rats.

She's old now but still as fierce as the chainsaw when pissed.

The Saw used to run a 36" bar then it looked propper badass 8)
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've started fastening the aluminium sides to the frame, but I'm not keen on the placement of the regulator.

Tbh, not much will be seen of the box as one side will be hidden by the exhaust & the other by the number board which has been made to the AMA size of 10"x12". It's quite large & will hopefully hide the regulator.

Here's some pictures.

It looks a bit WW2 tank, but the bolts will have many jobs.

Externally, they'll be holding the exhaust or exhausts if I go dual Vtr style, the regulator & carb side number board.

Internally, hopefully (not thought it through yet) the studs will be used to fasten the frame brackets that'll hold the battery, starter solenoid & cdi boxes. That's the plan anyway :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I like the curve you have put in the front of it. I'm always impressed with your welding and ingenious use of tools and bits and bobs for holding and piecing things together.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

VTRDark wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:14 pm I like the curve you have put in the front of it. I'm always impressed with your welding and ingenious use of tools and bits and bobs for holding and piecing things together.
Cheers Carl, really appreciate that :thumbup:

I've been working on the box again today, I made a load of tabs yesterday & have tacked them in place today.

I did do a mistake & drilled a hole in the base plate but the shock prevents me from bolting through..

Here's some pictures with the exhaust & seat in place. There'll be more trimming of the seat required as it touches the exhaust slightly making it look off centre.

I feel that I'm getting there now, just have to work out how to hold everything in place :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Epic amount of work going into this bike :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:20 pm Epic amount of work going into this bike :clap: :clap:
+1000!!!!!
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Wed Mar 20, 2019 12:09 am Painting, don't get me started. One story & there were many.. I used to work in a small operation boatyard & I did most of the welding, fibre glassing & helped out with paint prepping.

One day we bring a 40 Foot yacht into the paint shed for painting. We/3 of us, start by filling various dings & cracks then we da the whole hull down to super smooth then mask it up. We all go home & let the loon paint it with 2k & no mask.

In we come in the morning to lots of tutting & chin rubbing in the paint shed. In I go, feck me what a mess. The whole hull had fish eyes all over, lots of finger pointing & anger but the boss says do it all again.

Da's out again & same again, sand, mask & let the paint loon go at it again with 2k. Remember this thing is 40' long.

Following day it's the same, fish eyes every ware & tempers are flaring big time. Its getting edgy now. The boss has already been on the phone to International paints & they've agreed to come & see what's going on.

So the da's are out again & the thing is sanded down yet again. Third time now, this thing is fecking 40' long.

So the following day the boat is all prepped & we're all waiting for the International paints guy to arrive & watch the loon paint guy (with his new air fed mask :roll:) do his stuff.

What none of us had seen or new was that the boss kindly mixed the 2k paint for the loon painter & what the International guy saw nearly caused a stroke. The boss was using medical syringes to measure out the hardener for the 2k paint. Those medical fecking syringes are lubed with medical fecking silicon fecking grease :lol:

Anyhoo, I fitted the loom today, I can't believe it tbh. Photo's soon :thumbup:
:lol: Flipp''eck man that was an expensive syringe, even though he most likely didn't buy it :biggrin

All the work outside your workshop is a big improvement :thumbup: Even the dog looks impressed now with his matt on the paving bricks :wink:
Having your Dad and a mate come over to give you a hand sorting out the wiring has worked a treat 8) It's surprising what can be achieved with a little support from a few extra brains, it looks very tidy, well done :clap:

I'm amazed how much more work you have achieved on the bike, have you set yourself a firm timescale :?: :lol:

Thanks for keeping us up to date with all the photo's :thumbup:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Cheers guy, thanks for the support :thumbup:

Getting there slowly, I've had the go a head from the wife :D hence the progress :wink:

Yeah Chris, I was really grateful of the help I had with the wiring. Sometimes you just can't see the wood for the trees & this was a prime example. The wiring loom now runs down the inside of the rear cylinder & does a nice tidy loop between the cylinders where all the connections are plugged in unmodified. In fact it's such a good fit you'd swear it was a professional one off loom. Then it runs under the manifold & heads off under the right lower frame to the headstock.

I've left the wiring at the headstock for the moment & won't focus on that till I finish the box & the fitting of the electronics. Which I feel I'm getting quite close to now.

No, there's no timescale Chris, but I'm bloody dying to prod the starter button & just hear it turn over hopefully that will inject a huge dose of motivation & more progress :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That's really starting to come along now. Have you had the engine running yet. Don't put a timescale on things as that's when things get rushed and go wrong or not done to perfection. Or in my case you forget where you put things or lose the odd nut and bolt. I've got to buy some TI screen bolts because mine have disappeared in the shed somewhere :( I charged my battery up the other day and pleased to see it recovered with the Optimate. It's a new Yusa battery went on fully charged and I left it for 3 months with little juice after turning the bike over for too long. I've now got one of those Optimate solar panels on it to trickle through. Actually I might try and get out tomorrow and put the new fuel tap on and see if I can get it start. Get some motivation back in me. That's if I can wake up early enough and the weathers dry and not too cold. Turning into a bloody depressed nandy pandy I am.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

VTRDark wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 2:48 am Actually I might try and get out tomorrow and put the new fuel tap on and see if I can get it start. Get some motivation back in me. That's if I can wake up early enough and the weathers dry and not too cold. Turning into a bloody depressed nandy pandy I am.
Well, when I have a plan like that I force myself to do it. There's no choice, it will be done before the days end.
I think of it as day time compartments, to many it'll sound odd but it works for me. Before I get out of bed in the morning, I make a loose plan in my head of things that need to be done in that specific day. I then try my best to do them, I won't over load my self with jobs, but I will throw in a job that I'm not looking foreword to. Knowing that at the end of the day I'll be pleased with myself. Like the battery box & wiring, It just broke me, but the constant chipping away, advice & support from my mates & you guys I/we did it :thumbup:

Just wait till the Turnip gets started :lol: