Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
sirch345
Site Admin

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by sirch345 »

I like the sound of all the extras that are coming your way with the lathe, I hope your wife understands :wink:

Love the bit about you getting cramp in the legs by spending too long sat down :lol:

So does this mean you need to build another Man-shed for the lathe :eh: I think Fabio had the same problem :lol: although his latest lathe is a BIG UN :D

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:54 pm I hope your wife understands
Do they ever Chris :lol:
sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:54 pm So does this mean you need to build another Man-shed for the lathe I think Fabio had the same problem although his latest lathe is a BIG UN
I've been looking at Fabio's old posts for pictures of his lathes, as I'm sure he did have a few pickies but I can't find them :confused

In the leg numbingly good lathe book "The Amateur's Lathe" one of the first things he tries to get across is get the biggest lathe you can accommodate.

To quote Mr Sparey,

With confidence it may be said that fully 50 per cent of the work done on the amateur's lathe is really too big for the machine. This, as will be seen later, has a profound influence on amateur technique; at the moment it is important as emphasising two points of lathe selection. In the first place, it is desirable to buy as large a machine as the pocket or the accommodation will allow. Very few amateurs will be able to afford or house anything bigger than a lathe of 5" centre height; in fact, one of 3½" centre height will be the uttermost limit for the vast majority.

That's me, 3½" from centre of the chuck to the bed :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:34 pm
Do they ever Chris :lol:
sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:54 pm So does this mean you need to build another Man-shed for the lathe I think Fabio had the same problem although his latest lathe is a BIG UN
I've been looking at Fabio's old posts for pictures of his lathes, as I'm sure he did have a few pickies but I can't find them :confused

In the leg numbingly good lathe book "The Amateur's Lathe" one of the first things he tries to get across is get the biggest lathe you can accommodate.

To quote Mr Sparey,

With confidence it may be said that fully 50 per cent of the work done on the amateur's lathe is really too big for the machine. This, as will be seen later, has a profound influence on amateur technique; at the moment it is important as emphasising two points of lathe selection. In the first place, it is desirable to buy as large a machine as the pocket or the accommodation will allow. Very few amateurs will be able to afford or house anything bigger than a lathe of 5" centre height; in fact, one of 3½" centre height will be the uttermost limit for the vast majority.

That's me, 3½" from centre of the chuck to the bed :thumbup:
Here's a few links with pic's of Fabio's machine :D

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40272&start=720#p469414

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40272&start=735#p469433

Chris.

**EDIT** 3rd FEB 2019
This is the link you want:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42804&hilit=man+cave
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

as an old boy once told me with lathes. you can make small things on a big lathe, but you cant make big things on a small one lol :clap: :clap:

so i ripped the butt out of it lol
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:46 am What lathes have you guys got then? Any top tips about tools or methods etc?

Those pictures of the lathe are from the sellers shed, you'd give me a right talking to if you saw it in mine :lol:

He also chucked in a load of "handy :roll: " stuff with it too. Things like a 4 jaw chuck, centres for the tailstock, dti gauge, whole set of new carbide tipped tools, the old motor & cast iron wheel/tensioner stuff & many more bits.

He also gave me a book called "The Amateur's Lathe" by Lawrence H. Sparey" cracking read" so much so that I get cramp in my legs after a good ole crap :lol:

I've just received a cheap magnetic dti gauge from ebay & a more expensive American item is on the way.

I initially bought just the lathe with the old electrics, but when I went to see it & saw it in action hooked up to the modern motor & inverter gizmo that I just had to have it. In his shed I came to the conclusion that he knew a lot more about lathes & electrics than me. He'd also put a lot of thought & work into this upgrade & it must of been for a reason.

The long (30 paces) to the car was difficult, in the car the conversation went a little like this..

Hi love, sorry, I didn't realise I'd been there over an hour..... Really nice guy, yeah.... he's also got some other bits for sale........ I was thinking....... if I/we don't get it all as a unit I'll/we'll regret it later..... how lucky I/we were going be to own such a fantastic life changing machine.... :lol:

I also had to promise a heap of other things, but hay ho, I/we got ourselves a lathe :beer:
single best thing you will spend money on is a self centering 4 jaw chuck. bloody great things for odd ball jobs and saves so much time faffing about getting stuff clocked in..
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:01 pm
Varastorm wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 3:34 pm
Here's a few links with pic's of Fabio's machine :D

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40272&start=720#p469414

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40272&start=735#p469433

Chris.

**EDIT** 3rd FEB 2019
This is the link you want:- viewtopic.php?f=18&t=42804&hilit=man+cave
Those are the ones Chris, Thanks.

That is a monster, too big for me. I'd of loved to of seen Fabio's wife's face when that arrived :lol: :lol:

If I'd of arrived home with that on a lorry I'm sure my wife would look like she had bell's palsy :eek2
fabiostar wrote: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:38 pm single best thing you will spend money on is a self centering 4 jaw chuck. bloody great things for odd ball jobs and saves so much time faffing about getting stuff clocked in..
Cheers Fabio, but alas, I'm like you now. Spent out :(

It's on the list though :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

they can become a drain on the wallet very easy 8O . but im making mine work for its living and it feeds my addiction to bike parts or id never have got my bike finished,except its not finished lol

dam that plan went wrong lol

as for the wife, i think her only words were, oh jesus wept.. :eek2 :eek2
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The last proper work done on the build was done last July... I'd lost heart. The reason being was I felt I'd made a huge error. The error was that I'd made the tail section too high & the transition from tank to tail was more "High" street fighter than "low" vintage Harley'esk.

I felt that I'd been forced into lifting/raising the rear subframe/seat unit because of the route of the exhaust. Which itself was dictated by the main frame tubes & now that I'd practically finished the exhaust I wasn't going back. I like the exhaust, but I wasn't happy with the tail height. So I walked away.

Well, last weekend I attacked the shed to make room for the lathe. Once that was sorted & a load of crap/handy stuff was thrown I've eventually got my shed back.

So, now there's room, I've had a long sit in the shed & even longer stare at the bike & an even longer chat with my mate & we've come up with a plan.

The plan is to chop at least an inch from the rear subframe lower (vertical) supports. This will enable the rear (horizontal) subframe seat support to be lowered & the seat unit will be lowered also. The big risk was the amount of upright to remove, as the lower the seat goes the closer the exhaust comes to your leg.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Here are some pictures of the frame lowering modification.

I used a 1mm cutting disc & slowly managed to lower the seat height by 1½" not much, but enough to inject some enthusiasm back into me.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Here's a picture of the lowered bike outside. I also made a quick foam seat from an old kneeling pad & temporarily taped it down.

We then had a chat about the Indian FTR flat tracker. I mentioned that I'd read that when they were replicating the racer to make a road bike they originally tried to make it work with 17" wheel's but they couldn't get it to look right. So in the end they fitted a 19" front with a 17" rear.

So with rain clouds looming we quickly fitted the old Varadero wheels to see what was what. I forgot to take a picture off the sump box though :roll:

I couldn't fit the vtr rear caliper & carrier as they fit the smaller 220mm rear disc. The Varadero rear disc is 256mm.

I've had a quick look into this issue & I think a Cbr1100 Blackbird rear caliper & carrier might fit the Vtr1000 swingarm.

Here's a picture of a Vtr carrier.

Here's a picture of a Cbr 1100 carrier.

I don't know if it'll work yet but will update soon :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

good to see the project back in progress again, and glad you are motivated to get round the problem the put you off.

looking at the first picture, with the 6 spokes, I started to think it would help to get the stance where you want it if you shortened the rear shock to bring the tail down. Is that an option?

to my eye, the 19" wheel looks a bit skinny, I like the fatter tyre of the firestorm wheel
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:50 am good to see the project back in progress again, and glad you are motivated to get round the problem the put you off.

looking at the first picture, with the 6 spokes, I started to think it would help to get the stance where you want it if you shortened the rear shock to bring the tail down. Is that an option?

to my eye, the 19" wheel looks a bit skinny, I like the fatter tyre of the firestorm wheel
Thanks AMCQ :thumbup: . I feel it's ass is still a little too high, but it's going to have to do & hopefully the battery box issue can now be sorted.

I did think of shortening the shock or modifying the linkage for it to sit lower, but when I sit on the bike it does sag quite a bit & I might run the risk of clouting the sump.

Like you mention the tyres on the Varadero wheels are a lot narrower. If I do stick with this idea I will go up a width size or two. I do think it's balanced it's looks though.

Here's some pictures without the sump box :thumbup:

Here's some pictures with card simulating number boards, just to see what's what.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

In your second picture, there doesn't look to be much clearance between the front tyre and the front downpipe, will it clear at full suspension compression?
The stance looks good, though.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

tony.mon wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:00 pm In your second picture, there doesn't look to be much clearance between the front tyre and the front downpipe, will it clear at full suspension compression?
The stance looks good, though.
Cheers Tony :thumbup: your right, the tyre is too close now. When making the exhaust that "trombone" section is the only bit I've never liked. It did fit nicely around the frame & enabled me to carry on making the rest of the exhaust & was forgotten about. Now there's a good chance that the 19" wheel is there for good a change is needed.

I'm currently looking for matching 19"/17" tyres for the flattrack look, the front will be easy as it's a 19" so a flat track tyre will go straight on. The rear 17" is causing issues as there aren't any to match, I might have to go supermotard rear for a similar tread pattern.

When funds allow & if I do get a flattrack front tyre hopefully it'll accomplish a couple of things. A, it will beef up the front end giving it that fat chunky old fashioned tracker look which I'd imagine will bring the tyre even closer to the exhaust & B, force the exhaust mod.

I did buy another "2D" bend to modify/change the trombone at a later stage, but catastrophe struck.

It was only when I was making the bracket to hold the silencers parallel that I realised I'd made the huge mistake on the height of the seat frame.

I tried to carry on & make the battery box but I felt that if I did, that I'd go too far & I couldn't/wouldn't go back. So I was essentially making a bike that I never wanted.

I had a deep gut feeling that there was a solution, but I just couldn't think through it.

Now that I chopped it & then changed the wheels, I feel a little better about the project :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Good to see you're fired up again to get back onto this project :D

Looking at the photo's of the different size wheels, I think I prefer the look of the 17" wheels same as Al, although that is probably a personal choice for the look you are going for. Changing that trombone part of the exhaust coming off the front cylinder should make it look almost perfect.

Chris.