Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

They haven't arrived yet Fab, not sure what to expect tbh.

I saw them with a "buy it now", got excited & sent a few questions. Gave it all of 30 minutes for an answer.. Feck, blood pressure started building. Then started to think how I'd feel if someone else got them & the chances of finding a pair of right hand pipes.. Boom, mine, Just had to get them.

I'm sourcing electrics tbh, looking into Lookwell dashes. Looks like I'm going to have to keep looking this month :lol:

The original tracker picture has megaphones on & though I'm not too keen on them, I would of liked a set.

Plan is to use a Std setup for now & eventually make a set of header pipes with routing similar to the original picture from similar stainless pipe that was used for the inlet manifold.

The headers will be built similar to the pic below but separate with the cans mounted shotgun similar in angle to the original picture :thumbup:

Last edited by Varastorm on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The Wirral 100 club are racing at Anglesey this weekend so I popped there to see who's racing.

Whilst on walk about, I bumped into The dyno man Paul Bland, who supplies & fits tyres there for track days & race meets. I mentioned the tracker project & asked how familiar he was tuning dcoe's, Hummm he replied. I've not done many of those & when I did, it were a while back..

I'll just have to see what the air/fuel graph says & take it from there.

Also been looking into exhaust ideas,

I'm thinking of purchasing two used rear oem exhaust headers, cut them down (2"-3" long) to a straight stubby header outlet, this would still use the oem flange to fasten to the head.

The outer of the oem header pipe measures 42mm. The same guy who I bought the Chinese "sanitary" bends for the inlet manifold also sells 45mm outer diameter pipe which have a wall thickness of 1.5mm. Meaning the "Sanitary" pipe should have an internal diameter of 42mm & should fit snugly over the 42mm outer oem header pipe.

This is all theory atm, but it does seem that it could work & if it did, it would save a lot of fabrication work mounting the headers to the heads & it would be 100% right. All that would be left to do is set up the silencers shotgun style & work out what pipe pieces are required to link them together. Order the pipe bits along with some 45mm Mikalor clamps & wait a month for delivery.

That's the plan, but there's lots to do before this happens.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Btw, if any one is interested in building their own inlet or exhaust, I searched high & low on eBay for (cheap) tight 90 stainless mandrel bends.

They were around £11.99 a bend & I needed lots.. anyhoo, one advert stated that theirs were superior to Chinese ones !

So now knowing they were out there, I searched again & finally found them, under the title of

"Sanitary Weld Elbow"

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/51MM-2-OD-San ... 1438.l2649

I ordered a load of 90's two 45's & a 300mm length. They took a month to arrive & they look spot on.

Also the Mikalors are W2's & they are from here, 5 x 51mm for £10.54p free .p&p

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-51mm-55mm ... 1438.l2649
Good find with your eagle eye there on the Sanitary Weld Elbows :thumbup:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote:Good find with your eagle eye there on the Sanitary Weld Elbows
It took a while to find them Chris, Sanitary.. :eek2

Right then guys, Hopefully someone can help me out.

Electrics, not my favourite tbh, I used to build things & hand them over to my old man to wire up back in the day. A major stroke put an end to that a while back & now he's worse than me :roll:

The bike will hopefully be getting a day time mot, so no front lights are needed & I am going to leave out indicators too. Am I right in thinking if it has an indicator switch on the handlebars it should have indicators?

Does anyone know if the bike run without the left hand handlebar electrics?

Also, I am looking to fit either retro clocks or a small digital unit, has anyone ever fitted an old rev counter off an old twin?

I am buying everything off eBay & I am trying to avoid buying things that I might not need.

Any advice would be really appreciated :thumbup:

This thing is costing too much as it is & it's getting difficult to hide it from the misses.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been reading about removing the left bar wiring & read this on a SV650 forum. I appreciate the wires will be different colours, but would I be right in thinking it would work the same?

Thinking about it, I'd also have to extend the horn wires to a stand alone button.
Step 6: Remove the left handlebar switch pod. Trace the electrics to its connector (yellow) mounted inside the frame up against the steering head. This is a major bitch to disconnect. Once the connector has been separated and the switch pod removed the clutch cutout will need to be jumped so the bike can start. These are the two black and white or grey striped wires on the middle pair of poles inside the 10 pin connector. The best way to jump these wires is to cut them free of the connector and solder them together.
From here https://www.sv650.org/articles/converti ... nto_a_.htm
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been thinking, here's a picture of the wiring of the left hand switch.

Copying the idea from above(Sv wiring mod) if I was to solder & shrink wrap the "Green & red" to "Green & white" then the engine would start & run :thumbup: But also start in gear :eek2

Also, if I extend the "White & green" & the solid "Green" to the handlebar grip to a simple horn button that would work also?
Last edited by Varastorm on Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Here's a link for Storm wiring diagrams.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24036

Indicators should be pretty straight forward the rev counter I'm not sure about. It picks the signal up from the ICM which shows the output on the rev counter. Now where I think things may differ is with the positioning and range of numbers on another rev counter a different size so therefore accuracy may not be had.
==============================Enter the Darkside
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote:I've been thinking, here's a picture of the wiring of the left hand switch.

Copying the idea from above(Sv wiring mod) if I was to solder & shrink wrap the "Green & red" to "Green & white" then the engine would start & run :thumbup: But also start in gear :eek2

Also, if I extend the "White & green" & the solid "Green" to the handlebar grip to a simple horn button that would work also?
That appears to be correct to me on both of those wiring changes,

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

VTRDark wrote:Here's a link for Storm wiring diagrams.
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=24036

Indicators should be pretty straight forward the rev counter I'm not sure about. It picks the signal up from the ICM which shows the output on the rev counter. Now where I think things may differ is with the positioning and range of numbers on another rev counter a different size so therefore accuracy may not be had.
Those links to the wiring diagrams won't work for me. I looked them up before, no workey, so I copied/photo'd from my Haynes.

I seem to remember that rev counters are cylinder critical. A twin rev counter will work on any twin, but a 4 cylinder rev counter for example will read half due to half the electrical pulses from the cdi ?

I could be wrong though :think:

I've been looking at these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/motorcycle-ad ... 1438.l2649
sirch345 wrote:
Varastorm wrote:I've been thinking, here's a picture of the wiring of the left hand switch.

That appears to be correct to me on both of those wiring changes,

Chris.
Thanks Chris, that should save me buying a left hand switch unit :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Goodies arrived today, Two braided black 90cm front brake pipes from China £10.18 delivered.

I tut tutted also, stainless pipe mild steel banjos..

But for a tenner I took a look see, I have to say they look ok.

Will do a fit & bleed update when when the weather get's a grip, it's like winter here.

Last edited by Varastorm on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eezee29

Post by eezee29 »

i think photobucket sux cos the pics not working for me..anyone else too?
trying very hard to get over the 50 posts hurdle :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

eezee29 wrote:i think photobucket sux cos the pics not working for me..anyone else too?
Unfortunately it's the same for everyone, not just you,

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I'm so annoyed with PB they have not only screwed us over but most of the images on forums and other sites across the internet. Absolutely no consideration for those viewing them and the importance of some images. What would have been kinder is if they said..right we are going to limit things from here onwards keeping what's already up but future images will require payment. In return we would appreciate it if users would go through their images removing any unnecessary or no longer used ones to help keep our server space available.
==============================Enter the Darkside
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

builds of all sorts on all types of forums have been destroyed :redface .

any updates on the tracker?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

its feckin blackmail .... like the cyber attacks where they take over your NHS computer and demand money so you can get your data back ... is is the same mentality .... they want £300 or your whole life on social media will be erased!

I don't even understand what their business model is for this, is anybody going to pay 300? if they were going to charge £10 or £20 or even £30 to allow the sharing, then they would likely get a good number of people who would think it was worth that to save the hassle, but £300! they clearly want to kill it not make money
AMcQ