Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

I’ve been thinking of this project since coming across a picture of a VTR engined tracker years ago.

To me it looks spot on, everything fits just right.

I’ve been studying the picture/screen background :oops: for years on & off. This is my theory on how it was built.

To me it looks as if it’s got a Harley front end & maybe using a small section of Harley frame. Consisting of headstock & top tube? The rest of the main frame looks like tube fabricated to the engine mounts.

I am not too sure of the swing arm, but the closeness of the rear wheel to the engine leads me to believe there’s little or no suspension. Maybe it’s a twin shock?

I am in the process of gathering parts at the moment. So any ideas/help would be really appreciated.

Thanks in advance :thumbup:
Last edited by Varastorm on Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
fabiostar

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by fabiostar »

class looking. looks like a storm front caliper on the rear,,

do it,you know you should.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Yup, you can just see one of the twin shocks behind the number board. Looks like a very worthwhile project!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

love it :thumbup: :thumbup:

I agree with Kermit, its a twin shock.

not sure if its a Harley road bike front end, more likely be from a dedicated flat track setup
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Twin shocker :think: ok.

Don't laugh too loud, but here's the rough plan.

Frame wise I am going with steel (Vara) rather than aluminium (VTR).

I know it'll be heavier, but My main reason is that I have an arc welder in my shed (so I can take my time) & the Tig is in my mates garage miles away (paying for gas & rods).

Also, every picture (bar 2) I've seen of a VTR engined Bobber/Chopper/Tracker look awful with the top frame in place. The tank sits way too high over the air box & spoils the lines.

I am not going to change the important engine mounting & head stock angle. But I'm looking into removing the upper cradle & replacing it with a conventional spine running from the headstock to the rear shock mount.

This will enable the fitment of a tracker style tank similar to the above picture, but will also force the use of a Harley or DCOE side draught carb.

What do ya recon?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Do you intend to run it on the road? or on a dirt track Dirt Quake style?

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Just popped in for a break cutting down nettle b8stard bushes & watched the DirtQuake vid.

Spot on Wicky laughed my head off :lol:

Some of those quotes from the riders were hilarious 5:55 in for example, killer :clap: :lol: :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Wicky wrote:Do you intend to run it on the road? or on a dirt track Dirt Quake style?
Hopefully for the road Wicky.

I've got quite a few parts left over from playing with project Varastorm & the CBR600fy which I was going to track but is still on hold.

Wheels, forks (43mm), swingarms, rear shocks, discs, C&S, master cylinders, etc.

I've just had a Varadero frame (with log book) & yokes (triples) from the wife for Christmas :lol:

Another reason for choosing the Varadero frame was the really chunky Yokes. Which are 43mm, the same as the CBR 600 FY & CBR 1100 BB.

So I'm running with the idea that I'll fit the Varadero forks just to get a rolling chassis. Then, to get the correct ride height/chassis level I can slide the forks up through the yokes. Then persuade the wife to buy some forks for my Birthday :lol:

I've also taken a risk on buying a VTR engine, a 1999 model I think. From an ugly old street fighter from Ireland he recons. There's no way of testing it but the seller sounded legit :roll: He threw in a scruffy loom also.

So at the mo, I am looking for a engine mounting bolt/spacer set for a Varadero. I've seen one on eBay Germany but £30 seems steep for 4 bolts.

Usually I don't write about projects till they are 3/4 finished. Just in case it's a total failure.

If it is, it's going to be an expensive failure. I just hope it doesn't look like this.

Last edited by Varastorm on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Been busy looking for major bit's for the tracker project.

I am struggling getting Varadero engine mounting bolts from breakers. I've had a few bits, bolts & spacers castle lock nuts etc. It seems that most are destroyed when the engine gets removed..

I priced up from David Silver & it soon gets close to £100 just for a handful of bolts :eek2 Not happening.

Anyway, after trawling through hundreds & hundreds of pictures of petrol tanks over the last few weeks.
I have finally made a tank purchase, the tank is similar in shape, rot free & cheap.

I also bought a seat unit based on a Harley item that similar to the tracker picture above.

They arrived today :D

Made up with the tank packing :thumbup:

The seat was undamaged but the packing on the corners was cut & the fiberglass was exposed :thumbdown:

Here they are loosely lined up, not too bad for a total stab in the dark :D

Here is the Tracker.

Last edited by Varastorm on Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Wicky, you are a freakin STAR.

I am embarrassed to say for how long I have been hunting for pictures or any information about this bike.

Mega thanks just doesn't do it justice.

Thank you very much. :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

oooh looking good :thumbup: :thumbup: .

now get in that mancave and get working.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

It's a little too cold for me at the mo Fab, so I'm being lazy & scanning for bits on the web. I'm spent out for the month now though so just making a list of parts that the wife won't hopefully see :lol:

The past two month I've bought :-

1999 VTR engine complete with oil cooler & loom. Crossed fingers it's a good'n.
2001 Varadero frame & yokes
Suitable tank with it's fitting bits'n bobs.
Tracker seat unit
Clutch cable (complete with bracket for Varadero cable clutch conversion)
Quarter of the required engine fitting bolts.. (2 spacers, 2 45mm'ish bolts & 1 castle lock nut)

Currently I am stuck on finding a complete set of bolts, spacers & frame adjusters. So its all on hold. I'm broke now anyway, with Christmas just gone as well :roll:

Once I can bolt the engine to the frame I can make a rolling chassis & see what's what. I've already got forks, swing arm & bolt, linkage & wheels. Once rolling, the plan is to lower the bike to the height I want by sliding the forks through the yokes & correcting the rear by temporarily swapping out the shock for a drilled length of box. This will enable me to carry on with the chassis fabrication.

My main reason to use the Varadero frame is that it already has the important headstock, headstock angle (not flat track angle though) & engine mountings all ready worked out. The top tubes are to be removed & replaced with a singular spine top tube with bracing similar to the above pictures. The original frame is box section so I'll have to fabricate the rest in box also.

Trick is not to over do it so it looks like the Fourth bridge :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

You can use threaded bar for the top engine bolt...long one that goes all the way through, buy a bit, cut to length, jobs a good 'un...
See T.Mons engineering Co. for more details... :lol:

I may have some castleated engine nuts in stock but will have to have a rake to find them don't think I have the adjuster bits tho...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Good call on the thread bar Mac, should do until I get some oem ones.

Thing is though it needs number 13 "adjusting bolt 20x48" to hold the bolt in the correct place.

I just never thought about the bolts, adjusters & spacers when I was asking about the frame :oops: pissed off to say the least.

I've crossed referenced the parts on https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces ... ADERO.html & no other bikes shares, the castle nuts seem quite common though.

All on hold now though, the piggy banks empty & its ffffreeezzzzing out there.