Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by fabiostar »

bloody epic :D :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks guys, slow progress lately as I feel it's getting difficult now.

Done a little bit over the last few days, I finally fitted the pingel fuel tap to the plate & the plate to the tank. Only took two goes & two gaskets to stop it from leaking.

I've also removed the 40 dcoe & replaced it with the newley cleaned 45 dcoe. I had to modify the linkage again & move the idle screw to the original place on the carb. What a ball ache, but I think It'll work without any issues now.

This tank/seat mount has got me thinking too hard & it's getting to me tbh. I welded a tail section onto the main spine & ran out of argon again :eek2

All on hold :roll: :thumbup:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

thats a feck off big carb when you look down its throat ... looks like it means business :D
AMcQ
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Hang in there Varastorm. It looks like you're getting close to, if not past breaking the back of this build. It's looking bloody marvellous to me. :thumbup: :thumbup:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Fascinating to watch this come together. Kudos!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

its been better than watching a good film seeing this come together. :thumbup: serious work involved.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Those carb trumpets do look mean, small children and dogs better stand well clear :wink: :)

Give yourself a break Vara, you've done so well, a breather space might be just what you need right now.
Plus that will give you time to save up for the next bottle of gas :wink:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Totally agree with taking a breather. You really are going through the Argon...what are you doing with, using it to heat your body :biggrin That's what tech divers use it for :wink: The bike looks awsome mate. The way this is going it will be a good contender for a bike mag article. I think I may have to send you a bit of luxurious carnuba wax when it's finished as long as all the paintwork has fully gassed out. I'm using a breathable silicone based glaze (called glase) and polish system on my fresh paint after the 3M polish.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks for the nice positive comments :thumbup:

I don't mean to whinge guys, it's just that I feel I'm stuck on this tank/seat support. Crazy really, after all the other bits I've sorted with minimal worries.

What I try to do is be clever & make a part that's capable of another job also. So I'm attempting to add structural rigidity to the rear of the frame as well as a seat/tank mount. At the same time trying to make it look minimal, tidy & professional also. What a faf.

Since I'm whinging, another issue that I have is that I'm not keen on how high the tail is. I do feel it's fashionable now, but I would of preferred a lower seat tbh, like in some of the early pictures. I've been forced to do it because of the exhaust & feel I've had to follow the lines of the frame also, but still it niggles me. I feel I can get away with it on the exhaust side but it might be an ugly issue on the carb side.

Another thing I want to do is to replicate the exhaust hanger plate on the rear subframe. So there's one either side, then weld a piece of rectangular box around the plates to make a tidy strong web effort. Then I could if required mount some conventional exhausts on, or mount a number board on it.

I've also been reading about these Weber carbs, I think it's going to be a compromise tbh. The whole jetting theory is based on what the engine is capable of reving to & the cc of the cylinder.

So ideally, for a 500cc cylinder capable of reving to 9000+rpm the choke required is a 50ish mm item. That's big & it'll require a really expensive Weber 55dco or bigger. What I've also read is that the draw back of doing this is that the lower rev range will suffer due to the venturi struggling to atomise the fuel at low engine speeds. The weber 45 I currently have has 40mm chokes in it & I'll jet it safely to suit, but it'll only be jetted correctly for 6500rpm. A dyno run will be interesting to see what's what.

I was going to stretch & get a 50dcoe, but the largest choke I can find for them is only a 44mm item. This would only improve the issue a little, say up to 7500rph. I would imagine the 45 will be ok for now tbh.

Hopefully nice clean low speed around town carburation that'll accelerate hard all the way up to 6500rpm.

Just a thought, I've seen FCR set ups for sale on jauce & they are only 42mm iirc, anyone know if they run out of puff at a certain rev range?

Sorry for banging on, & thanks again for the helpful comments :thumbup:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

That was an interesting read, it sort of fits in with the standard Storm carbs having 48mm throats per 500cc. If it were me I'd get the bike running with the 45 carb for now as you're thinking, and see how it goes. That'll give you more time to concentrate on other jobs that need finishing.

An interesting though on the FCR carbs only having 42mm throats if that's what they are :eh:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

sirch345 wrote: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:55 pm If it were me I'd get the bike running with the 45 carb for now as you're thinking, and see how it goes.
That's the plan Chris :thumbup:

The carb sizing issue is just me thinking out loud & since I've no argon & busy with work, it's just way too easy to sit & look/persuade myself to buy things on ebay. Things like a BiG Weber :)

I do wonder how/if this carb/manifold & exhaust combo will work. I'm really looking forward to get it running tbh & tuning the unit. I'm averaging an hour every night reading about tuning these carbs. Very interesting too.

This conundrum with the frame will get sorted, it's just that my brain stops being creative every now & then.
What I'll do I'm not too sure but I'll build it in my head first then live into it again :lol: :thumbup:

I'll get an idea in a day or two & I'll go again :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

When you do get to that stage of firing the bike up, that should give you a boost to hear it running................................................................................... well it used to work for me :lol:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I think this is worth mentioning as I feel I've been ripped off.. again..

It might also serve as a warning or highlight the options out there for anyone looking into setting up a small tig welding setup.

When I finally got hold of a tig welder next on the list was to purchase argon. No issues. I popped to my local fabrication suppliers & had a chat about the best argon deal that would suit my needs. To be fair it was a guess & the chap highly recommended purchasing an Albee bottle.

The price was £100 quid for the bottle that I would then own & if returned would get my money back. Plus £65 for the gas. So I parted with £165 quids & walked out a happy chappie even though it cost more than the welder..

2 bottles later I get the feeling this Albee argon deal is not that cheap, as it's costing £65 quid a pop. I feel that I haven't done a huge amount of welding, only what you see on the build & am starting to question if the bottles are filled properly or there's a leak.

Years ago, I used to tig weld constantly in the local boatyard & only once did I remember running out & emptying bottle. They were big though.

So, With another Albee purchase required an alternate deal was hunted for. Armed with the Albee bottle in the boot I popped to the local BOC dealer in Gaerwen, I didn't know it existed when I was first looking for gas.

What they offered was a contract, I loan the bottle for £55 quid a year & £55 for the argon. Difference is the bottle is huge, It's a size "Y". It's around 3-4 times bigger than the Albee bottle & it's heavy, really heavy. I was persuaded, one hour later & £112'ish quid lighter we were on our way to the Albee dealer.

I walked in to the fab supplier/Albee dealer & nicely told him that it was costing too much & was returning the bottle. No problem he said, do you have the bottle & the paperwork that I was given when I first purchased the bottle? I said no to the paper work as it was long gone to which he quickly told me, no paperwork, no money for returning it. Pissed was an understatement, lying b8stard I thought.

I then spotted the guy who sold me the Albee deal & shouted him over. I was finally given £38 quid for returning it.

Ripped off.

Live & learn, I'll never use Albee or the local suppliers again..

BOC for gas & eBay for consumables every time.

Rant over..
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Varastorm wrote: Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:18 pm ...
So, With another Albee purchase required an alternate deal was hunted for. Armed with the Albee bottle in the boot I popped to the local BOC dealer in Gaerwen, I didn't know it existed when I was first looking for gas.

What they offered was a contract, I loan the bottle for £55 quid a year & £55 for the argon. Difference is the bottle is huge, It's a size "Y". It's around 3-4 times bigger than the Albee bottle & it's heavy, really heavy. I was persuaded, one hour later & £112'ish quid lighter we were on our way to the Albee dealer.

I then spotted the guy who sold me the Albee deal & shouted him over. I was finally given £38 quid for returning it.

Ripped off.

Live & learn, I'll never use Albee or the local suppliers again..

BOC for gas & eBay for consumables every time.

Rant over..
Cheers for the BOC info. I'm looking at a basic MIG setup so will investigate that.

The refund issue with Albee seems completely out of order. Regardless of your paperwork not being present they should have had records of the sale and it wouldn't take much for you to prove you were the same person. Crap service doesn't get close.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I wonder whether a phone call from trading standards would get you anywhere or at least find out what your rights are. These companies shouldn't be allowed to get away with it.
==============================Enter the Darkside