Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Duffy1964

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Duffy1964 »

Coming along nicely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Looks cracking mate, top work :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:11 am I’ve started on the electrics & the battery box. I’m trying to think ahead & make bits that will/might do other jobs later on.

The initial idea was to make an aluminium box that would be able to be slid in'n out. Welded together out of the frame & slide it in when complete & be able to be removed if required.

My second idea was to make the box out of the rear subframe. I was just going to cut & fit 1mm steel plate in the subframe floor & sides & weld them in. Then I thought it would look a bit heavy duty/armoured car’ish.

Both the ideas were flawed because of the holes that were needed to be cut to enable the large electrical plugs

My next idea was to make an aluminium box that would be held together by various lugs & webs welded to the subframe. By doing it this way I would accomplish three things.

1. Increase the room inside the box.
2. Allow me to weld in heavy duty lugs that could hold exhausts either side & I’m still thinking of maybe a twin shock conversion as well.
3. Looks similar to a Harley XR under seat oil tank.

Here are some pictures.

Blimey Vara there's no stopping you once you get going :wink: :lol:
You've been really busy, looking great, nice work with the fabricating and welding :clap: 8)

I like the clock mount too :thumbup:

Chris.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

I love this bike and especially the tank ( Still don't know where it's from) and the exhaust .

I have a shotgun exhaust on my VTR . It is a different set up completely with the classic dual mufflers one above the other.

I didn't like the look of it when I first fitted it but it came to bear that punters couldn't work out what the bike was. Confused The wombles out of em and it came to grow on me.

Here is another interpretation of a shotgun exhaust.

Hope you don't mind me posting this , I wish I had your skills .

This exhaust was a major project for me .

Rear header is wrapped to keep the heat away from the back shock.

Now get on with it and when it's done tell me what the tank is from ! :beer: :beer: :beer:
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Thats some serious fabbing work going on :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Guys, tbh I don't think anyone in their right mind is going to do what I am putting myself through concerning this build, so the secret of the tank is... It's a cheap Sinnis/Jianshe 125 effort. I personally think it's fab, but would love an undented one.

The plan, the big plan was to make a v twin bike/chassis that anyone could make into anything they wanted. I'm trying to make it a one brand effort by sourcing all the bestest/affordable (Honda) retroey bits to make a bike that would be available or adaptable to anyone with enough enthusiasm to build a bike around the stonking Honda V twin thousand.

Like I've previously mentioned, I love the XR750 Flat trackers, but would I ever buy one if I had the money? Sorry but no, way too expensive. So I'm trying my best to see if I can replicate it in front of you guys. I've built bikes before, but never in front of a .org crowd & I really appreciate your comments. Good or bad.

Atm, I'm struggling with the wiring. I've said it was the battery box, but I was lying. it's the fecking wiring that I've been dreading. I've avoided doing it so much that I've bought everything I'll ever need to fabricate anything I'll ever want & this last week I've Chain sawed/chopped my pallet bench in half & paved the entrance to the shed. I even built pillars with slate seating slabs to look at the bike whilst it's outside ffs..

So, with all the parts I've sourced over the years, I've practically enough for another build. I was going to build another Flat tracker, but I've no need for two. So whilst looking at retro Harley racers for ideas I spotted a few other models that might be nice replicate. My first was the Team Obsolete 750cc XRTT but before I dragged myself out of bed this morning I stumbled across & fell in love with the "Turnip Eater".

It's an old Harley dragster & I've spotted a fuel tank that looks very similar to the original bikes. Have a look, it's a Sinnis Hoodlum effort.

Too many ideas & not enough electrical skills.. :roll: :thumbup:
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

==============================Enter the Darkside
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Ah Ha,

We don't get Sinnis motorcycles in Australia :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Thanks for putting me out of my misery.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

god dam petrol tank beat us all :clap: :clap: .

this build has kept a lot of people entertained i have to say and it looks bloody great..

i also hate wiring but have you thought of going down the route i did, with the new regs on daytime MOT all you need is a horn, end off, makes things a lot simpler :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:06 pm god dam petrol tank beat us all :clap: :clap: .
You and the others who didn't know should have paid closer attention to the photo's on page 32 :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40362&start=465#p471369

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

I wasn’t far off with this though!-

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40362&start=240#p456931
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Kev L wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:18 pm I wasn’t far off with this though!-

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=40362&start=240#p456931
Wow you had the right make Kev, well done :clap:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I gotta give top marks to Kev :clap: :clap: he was pretty dam close :thumbup:

I saw that too Chris, it was when I was rebuilding the thread after photobucket screwed everyone over. I missed one :lol:

I've just had a chat with my old man about the wiring & he's agreed to come'n have a look at the wiring tomorrow. We'll see how things unfold :thumbup:
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Varastorm wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:04 am Atm, I'm struggling with the wiring. I've said it was the battery box, but I was lying. it's the fecking wiring that I've been dreading.
It fecking interesting to me the things one builder dreads is one of the things I look forward to.
Envisioning a layout, planning a run, looking at it a a mechanic will in 5 years, where should there be a connector, should that wire run go there,,,,no here, oh wait that wont work, then the bars turn it will not have room.

There are metric sh1t ton of tools to do it right...and that actually appeals to me..as I like buying tools.
This old roll cab and top box is filled JUST with wiring tools and supplies
electrical.jpg
The supplies are low cost compared to other supplies and parts I buy daily. And I find it interesting and fun to solve a problem be it how to install something or diag and fix something else.

That all said... I know how Varastorm feels about wiring, I get it, Im the same way...but with painting.

I can make a thing a color, I can make it smooth and last, I can paint without runs or crap in the paint....But I NEVER seem to be able to do all of that at the same time on the same item. 5 things right but color is off, 4 things right but the 5th coat reacted and rippled, all things right........BUT WHAT THE FECK ..how did 12 gnats all attack the same painted part last night while it was drying....

I HATE painting and will gladly pay others to do it even though I can, mostly in the end after a lot of teeth gnashing get it close... but NEVER right
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Painting, don't get me started. One story & there were many.. I used to work in a small operation boatyard & I did most of the welding, fibre glassing & helped out with paint prepping.

One day we bring a 40 Foot yacht into the paint shed for painting. We/3 of us, start by filling various dings & cracks then we da the whole hull down to super smooth then mask it up. We all go home & let the loon paint it with 2k & no mask.

In we come in the morning to lots of tutting & chin rubbing in the paint shed. In I go, feck me what a mess. The whole hull had fish eyes all over, lots of finger pointing & anger but the boss says do it all again.

Da's out again & same again, sand, mask & let the paint loon go at it again with 2k. Remember this thing is 40' long.

Following day it's the same, fish eyes every ware & tempers are flaring big time. Its getting edgy now. The boss has already been on the phone to International paints & they've agreed to come & see what's going on.

So the da's are out again & the thing is sanded down yet again. Third time now, this thing is fecking 40' long.

So the following day the boat is all prepped & we're all waiting for the International paints guy to arrive & watch the loon paint guy (with his new air fed mask :roll:) do his stuff.

What none of us had seen or new was that the boss kindly mixed the 2k paint for the loon painter & what the International guy saw nearly caused a stroke. The boss was using medical syringes to measure out the hardener for the 2k paint. Those medical fecking syringes are lubed with medical fecking silicon fecking grease :lol:

Anyhoo, I fitted the loom today, I can't believe it tbh. Photo's soon :thumbup: