Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Varastorm

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Varastorm »

Slow progress I'm afraid, but here's where I am.

I've been busy tweaking the rear subframe so that the tank fits nicely with the seat.

It sounds easy, but the problem was that the front of the fibreglass seat unit had been sitting on the tail of the tank for setting things up purposes.

When it came to setting things up properly, nothing fitted.

Important issues to solve were,

1. Distance from tank to headstock kept to a minimum when at full lock.

2. Under side of tank needed to be horizontal & as low as possible. (The rear rocker cover breather tube dictated this).

3. The transition from the tank to the seat needed to be clean & tidy. (My plan is to have race seat foam fastened to the fibreglass seat but instead of finishing at the front of the seat unit, extending it beyond to hide the rear tank mount.)

4. keep the seat/tank line as straight as possible but taking into consideration the seat is curved.

Originally I was looking at having the rear quite low, similar to a vintage Harley flat tracker. When I set it up for that look, I found I had to lift the front of the tank to get the seat to the required height & it looked crap.

Like I mentioned above, the rear rocker breather had influence on all this. Think of it like a kids seesaw & the breather is the pivot.

So in the end I had to lift the rear of the seat slightly more than I wanted.

So, I've ended up with.

1. Tank to headstock minimal.

2. The tank horizontal (same as the K&N).

3. Tidy & inline transition from tank to seat. So hopefully the seat foam will hide the transition.

4. Now the rear has been lifted, it hides the fact there's a curve in the seat base & it still looks relatively flat.

Here are some pictures of the finished setup.

Please bear in mind structural braces have yet to be fitted & there will be lot's of them

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

that sir is bloody lovely looking :thumbup: :thumbup: .... i only wish i had your skills....

keep it going..its so nice to see something different being done with a storm.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

You have nailed the flat tracker body lines there, looks the dogs
AMcQ
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Looks amazing especially that tank with the carbs and airbox. :clap: :clap: :clap:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks guys :thumbup:

I can't sleep, so here's another issue I've been thinking about, the exhaust.

The original flat tracker bike picture that inspired me has a pair of shotgun megaphones which I think look great.

One thing I've noticed is that they tilt up very early after the clutch cover, if I find a pair of 45mm megaphones I'd love to fabricate a similar setup but until I find some I'll have to make do with a singular 50mm inlet item.

When placed on the bike it looks wrong, the main issue is because of the placement of the riders right peg. It's too far back & because of this it forces the upswept link pipe section to be too far back also, which in turn pushes the exhaust father back.

So I've been thinking, what about copying an original flat tracker footpeg setup? Low & foreword right peg with a high rear biased left peg.

I could accomplish this by By fitting a Varadero right side hanger, peg & master cylinder & a VTR left hanger, peg & gear shifter.

The Varadero peg is designed to accommodate a pipe in-between it & the engine, so it should enable me to start the upward tilt of the link early. Similar to the original bike.

It would seriously compromise me turning right (proper dangerous), but left handers would be great. Best of all though, it would enable me to fit a great looking exhaust.

Here's a picture of why I'm thinking about this.

tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Would adjustable (height and forward/back) reassess give you enough clearance?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Could you try some aftermarket adjustable rear sets that are mounted in the most forward position.

Have a look at my post about SP1/2 headers and you might see what I meen. :thumbup:

Love the bike, is the fuel tank a secret or could I ask what it is from?

Cheers
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Thanks for the ideas guys :thumbup:

I've been thinking about rearsets, they'd be great for the track but it's not the look I'm after. Thanks though & please don't give up on ideas, they all help :thumbup:

Looking at lots of other tracker builds & I feel it's a very thin line the flat track "look". But you don't have to stray too far from it for it to become a street fighter.

I've been following your header thread Kenmoore, impressive & looks good :thumbup:

We really need a youtube clip though :thumbup:

The tanks a secret at the mo, I need a dink less one. Once I find one I'll reveal all :beer:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Fantastic work Phil :clap: 8)
You've certainly captured the look you were after.

This person managed to get the shotgun style here using after market re-sets as have already been suggested:-

Chris.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Lookin' sweet. Dare I say the swingarm is now looking a bit poor second cousin? Any plans for trying it into the rest of the build?
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

what about bringing the headers and link pipes higher so they go above the clutch and foot peg -- then run the megaphone horizontally?
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

freeridenick wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 9:26 pm Lookin' sweet. Dare I say the swingarm is now looking a bit poor second cousin? Any plans for trying it into the rest of the build?
Your right Nick, the swing arm does look tatty, but it has had a lot of unseen grinding work done to it for the CBR929 shocker to fit. I need a AC tig machine to weld it up & it'll be good to go :thumbup:
AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:21 pm what about bringing the headers and link pipes higher so they go above the clutch and foot peg -- then run the megaphone horizontally?
I've been looking at pictures of bikes with this setup also AMCQ, not keen on fitting a single megaphone though. Maybe small diameter twins? They really do look smart :thumbup:

I am reluctant to stray from the original picture/plan, but if I did go down this road of exhaust rerouting. For the rear header I'd have to look into cutting at least a 50mm hole into the rear right frame pressing for the rear header pipe to exit :eek2

The fabrication of the pipe doesn't bother me & I'd look foreword to it tbh. Cutting a big hole in the frame is a bit scary. If I did though, I think I'd make the hole around 60mm & slide in a short section of 5mm walled 50mm tube then weld it in both sides of the frame so it regains it's strength. Then the header would slide through it.

All this is based on there being enough room in front of the shocker for the header pipe :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I'm starting to romance the idea of the Harley exhaust above. I doubt I'll get my hands on a set of Vance & Hines like those, so..

Just an idea, but I've seen these for 43 notes each on ebay.

Together with some 45mm sanitary flow bends similar to the inlet tubes I bought, maybe I could knock something up that looks similar?

I've just seen that they also sell 3" diameter one's also, which I think would look less bulky :)

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

you sir are bonkers :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: please do carry on..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

If you go for the Vance and Hines look, just remember to build in some heat protetction for your right leg :)

Chris.