Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Wicky

Re: Project Varatrackerstorm or Firetrackerdero.

Post by Wicky »

Varastorm wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 12:40 pm
fabiostar wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:56 pm i work on the theory its always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission :eek2 :eek2 plus i sneek bits in after dark lol

or, no no thats not mine im minding it for(pick a person she will never meet) :clap:
That's a good idea, never thought of that :clap:

I was thinking of you dressing a lathe in one of those 2 man pantomime donkey outfits.

Hey love meet Colchester, found him roaming in the street :angel:

Poor sod, in ye come lad (que violin music) :lol: :beer:
Somebody mentioned Colchester

Yes Colchester Lathes was 5 mins down the road where I grew up, and just over the road could be heard the tooting horn of Paxman's Diesels denoting lunch breaks for their Pavlovian trained staff.

Sadly the Colchester Lathes site now is a Tesco - what was left of the firm moved t'up North. Though local ol' boys who used to work there squirrelled away mega industrial lathes in their man sheds fabio style.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Colchester lathes was what i started on as a fresh faced yoof waaay back in 1980 :eek2 :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Yep, they had a few in college when I started as an engineering apprentice.
I blew a hole in the back shield of one with a match head bolt bomb one lunchtime....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 9:55 pm Yep, they had a few in college when I started as an engineering apprentice.
I blew a hole in the back shield of one with a match head bolt bomb one lunchtime....
lol i rem making them as a kid and chucking them up in the air :clap: :clap:
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

A friend of mind (and early motorcyling fixit/bodgit mentor to me before the internet and this forum :-) ) did his apprenticeship at Colchester Lathes which led to his first job there before it closed. He earnt enough at 19 to buy a brand new Duke 900SS, equip it with polished endurance alloy tank and ride it all the way to Turkey before breaking down. He never sold on any of his bikes so he had multiple lock ups with hoarded bikes from YASSies, 35OLCs etc all over town, even when his house had no downstairs floor, just a 4 foot drop when going in through the front door there were bikes and bike bits stashed around instead of furniture and household ornaments. He had to have therapy and get a girlfriend to disavow him of his collecting hobby. Though his heaving to the rafters sail-loft man shed where he lives now is less nautical and more a stockpile of cream from the remanents of his collection :eek2 .
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I remember as a kid goofing around with potassium sulphate & sulphur :eek2 Mixed together then placed the mix in a very large 2" dia nut & a smaller bolt that could slide through was carefully placed on top of the powder.

Drop a boulder on the bolt & hay presto :evil: 8) :wtf: deaf as a post & picking stone shrapnel from yourself for an hour 8O
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I've been doing some homework on these weber dcoe carbs & tbh I'm still not 100% sure it's going to work on this project at all really. It's a bit late now, but I'm still going to run with it. It's only money :roll:

So, what I do know is that the twin 40 dcoe's did work well on the 2ltr fiat engine. Therefore, one single 40 dcoe carb should work ok on the 1ltr Vtr engine, but the Vtr engine rev's higher. A hell of a lot higher.

This is my problem, the chart shows that I'm gona need a huge dcoe to accommodate the choke that's needed to feed the engine correctly at 10'000 rpm.

The 40 dcoe will/should feed it correctly up until 5000rpm (34 chokes "I think") It then runs out of puff. Ideal for getting it running & testing but..

Knowing this I was looking for a bigger dcoe, a 42,45,48,50 even 55's weren't out of the question. I then found the RX7 jetted 45 dcoe & was made up. It would fuel it correctly to around 6500rpm which I was happier with.

I'm still looking :roll: for a bigger carb & missed out on a pair of 48 dcoe carbs last night. I messaged the seller about what jets & chokes were fitted but no answer so no bidding. Over £400 they went for :eek2

I've since read that the older Italian cast weber 48 dcoe's only accept 42mm chokes max. The newer Spanish dco/sp are capable of running up to 46mm. Maybe a blessing in disguise, £400 for an extra 2mm in diameter. (The RX7 45 dcoe I have has 40mm chokes fitted).

Phew, close shave in my book.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

The plan for running a 19" rear.

I've been thinking of how to accomplish this for ages but there's a limited choice of 19" wheels from Honda.

I'm thinking of using a Varadero 19" front on the rear :eek2 but I've no lathe. Hint hint Fabio :wink:

Harley have been doing this for years so it's doable, but I'm not keen on 3 spoke wheels :(

Here's a good informative read if anyone's willing to help or advise :thumbup:

SXR 19" rear wheel conversion kit
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

Varastorm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:10 pm The plan for running a 19" rear.

I've been thinking of how to accomplish this for ages but there's a limited choice of 19" wheels from Honda.

I'm thinking of using a Varadero 19" front on the rear :eek2 but I've no lathe. Hint hint Fabio :wink:

Harley have been doing this for years so it's doable, but I'm not keen on 3 spoke wheels :(

thats an awful skinny hub(vara front) to be bolting a sprocket onto? what about a set of hubs from one of the new breed of big super trail style bikes? and bu all means if i can help out just drop me a line :thumbup: :thumbup:
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:22 pm
Varastorm wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:10 pm The plan for running a 19" rear.

thats an awful skinny hub(vara front) to be bolting a sprocket onto? what about a set of hubs from one of the new breed of big super trail style bikes? and bu all means if i can help out just drop me a line :thumbup: :thumbup:
Thanks Fabio :thumbup: it's just an idea atm.

Maybe after it's running I'll look into it deeper :thumbup:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

or if you want the spoked wheel look. a rear hub outa something like a KTM 620/640, they are pretty wide and get it laced upto a 19" rear motox cross rim?. those older KTM hubs will more than take the abuse.plus im near sure a lot of them run the same size rear axle as a storm.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

fabiostar wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:49 pm or if you want the spoked wheel look. a rear hub outa something like a KTM 620/640, they are pretty wide and get it laced upto a 19" rear motox cross rim?. those older KTM hubs will more than take the abuse.plus im near sure a lot of them run the same size rear axle as a storm.
I did a bit of homework on spoked wheels years ago & conversions are available, but very expensive.

Maybe once its up & running :roll: if it ever does :eek2 :lol:

Anyway, I'm in trouble yet again..

I didn't remove the Weber search off ebay :oops:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 3:56 pm

Anyway, I'm in trouble yet again..

I didn't remove the Weber search off ebay :oops:
TMFS strikes again :?: :lol:

Chris.
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

I'm currently using a heat gun to remove old paint from the attic door/hatch, feck me I'm fed up & my arms are killing me.

So I pop onto the computer to see what's what. Then I see Chris's comment

(TMFS ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :lol:

Lifted my heart no end :lol: :clap: :clap:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Varastorm wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:24 pm I'm currently using a heat gun to remove old paint from the attic door/hatch, feck me I'm fed up & my arms are killing me.

So I pop onto the computer to see what's what. Then I see Chris's comment

(TMFS ) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :lol:

Lifted my heart no end :lol: :clap: :clap:
:thumbup: :lol:

At least when your wife sees what you've been spending money on you can tell her you have a Syndrome of some sort :wink:

Chris.