a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
fabiostar

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by fabiostar »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:43 pm
fabiostar wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:29 pm
iv went from happy to. wtf am i doing lol...
:lol: :thumbup:

Take care mate,

Chris.
cheers. strange, after all these years of riding bikes on tracks and roads this one i think would teach me manners if i got a bit careless with..and i cant afford to throw it at a hedge...... careful it is for me :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well another week spent in the cave :evil: . long story short. dymag tried to kill me so storm wheels it is for me.. spondon swinger had to come out but refused.. aaaahhhhhhh. after thinking about it a lot and the thought of cutting that swingarm in half to get it out i spent a day carefully cutting the bushes from the inside so swinger saved and unmarked..

plan B.... for now at least fit the braced arm i got with the race bike.. i actually like it, it has a kinda industrial look about it and allows the storm rear wheel to be used..

two things iv noticed its about 30 mm shorter than the spondon arm and it makes the rear of the bike sit 20mm higher at the rear end...this could be fun in the lower gears :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just have to fit the Roger D forks now and shes good to go, again.

this could be a case of, im sorry officer i didnt realise my front wheel was doing that :clap:
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

What happened with the Dymags?

Sounds like the Spondon swingarm link mount is in a different place.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

freeridenick wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 am What happened with the Dymags?

i was so lucky i didnt end up in a hedge. one of those times when you get it stopped you feel like throwing up in your helmet with nerves and thinking,Robert youv kids at home. :sad2 . il be keeping the dymags and getting a new sprocket carrier made up but they are for show and cleaning purposes from now on.

yes they are amazing looking wheels and it may never happen again but with my butt on the bike im just not prepared to risk it. i dont crash as good as i used to lol..first time in a long time iv spoken to myself and said wind your neck in fella lol
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Bloody hell.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

fabiostar wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:31 am well another week spent in the cave :evil: . long story short. dymag tried to kill me so storm wheels it is for me.. spondon swinger had to come out but refused.. aaaahhhhhhh. after thinking about it a lot and the thought of cutting that swingarm in half to get it out i spent a day carefully cutting the bushes from the inside so swinger saved and unmarked..

plan B.... for now at least fit the braced arm i got with the race bike.. i actually like it, it has a kinda industrial look about it and allows the storm rear wheel to be used..

two things iv noticed its about 30 mm shorter than the spondon arm and it makes the rear of the bike sit 20mm higher at the rear end...this could be fun in the lower gears :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: just have to fit the Roger D forks now and shes good to go, again.

this could be a case of, im sorry officer i didnt realise my front wheel was doing that :clap:
Thank feck you didn't destroy the swingarm Rob. Glad you managed to cut the bushes which would have been a big struggle and a lot of sweat I'm sure :)

Very interesting the Spondon swingarm is approx. 30mm longer than standard arm.

I can't see anything wrong with the braced arm you're putting in.
fabiostar wrote:
freeridenick wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:37 am What happened with the Dymags?

i was so lucky i didnt end up in a hedge. one of those times when you get it stopped you feel like throwing up in your helmet with nerves and thinking,Robert youv kids at home. :sad2 . il be keeping the dymags and getting a new sprocket carrier made up but they are for show and cleaning purposes from now on.

yes they are amazing looking wheels and it may never happen again but with my butt on the bike im just not prepared to risk it. i dont crash as good as i used to lol..first time in a long time iv spoken to myself and said wind your neck in fella lol
Kinell that looks really bad, the more I think about it you were one lucky boy there. Are there no cush-drive rubbers in the dymags :?:

On the plus side, if it's going to make you "wind your neck in fella" as you put it, perhaps that is not a bad thing,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

the dymag runs a kinda cush drive using nylon inserts...
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Looks like the pins in the nylon inserts sheared. Are they pins? Or are they part of the fixings for the sprocket?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

that's a serious failure rob, it looks to me like all aftermarket/special wheel maker uses a similar type of sprocket carrier. I made sure I renewed my cush drive rubbers, £90 instead of the Honda £20ish, but I wouldn't take a chance on the old ones that came with the wheels, I also fitted new ceramic bearings. never cheap, but fingers crossed trouble free.
I just think you've been very unlucky mate. try contacting dymag, maybe they'll have some advice.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

IMO the braced swinger looks better anyway.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Certainly a very nice alternative :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

@ ian. they locate into the carrier using the bolt heads that hold the sprocket. they are all ok strangly. id really like to know what happened. the bearing has collapsed aswell and its only new a few weeks ago?..

anyhow im liking how its going with the braced one after a wee test spin....

lets say it makes 2nd and 3rd gear interesting :wink: :wink:
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

That makes sense now. The bearing collapsed allowing the sprocket carrier to move laterally, partially disengaging the bolt heads which then pulled out of the nylon sleeves. Not a dymag problem but a bearing problem. Bummer!
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Bloody hell that wheel is a mess. Very lucky indeed you where. I agree it was the bearing failure which then extended forces to the cush and destroyed it. Did the bearing not give you any warning. Surly you must have felt a wobble.

I will never forget the day when despatch riding I had to borrow my bosses CG125 as mine was off the road. I was over the other side of London and lent into a corner and one spoke when PING, I thought wombles it and continued riding. A bit further up the road and still riding liking a loon, another spoke went PING :lol: I ended up loosing about 40% of spokes and had a massive rear wheel wobble trying to get back to the courier office. I made it back and ended up having to buy the boss a new wheel. It was a case of the one spoke going which then put strain on the others causing further failure.

I'm glad you took the time to rethink about the Mori swingarm and saved it. 30mm longer is interesting. I guess they done that to keep the high powered bike on the ground and not so light on the front end.
==============================Enter the Darkside
popkat

Post by popkat »

Send the picture to dymag, see what they say about it..

I don't se a problem with the wheel though, I think you said you had it crack tested. the sprocket carrier has failed and the wheel is still ok, that says it's strong.
New carrier and cush rubbers with new inserts will sort it..

Loads of wheels use the same system, from expensive lightweight to Aprilia

I much prefer the Spondon arm to the braced one. it's not uncommon for race bikes with big power to have a slightly longer arm for stability.

Anyway, glad you didn't come off the bike or damage anything irreparable.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s