a bit of spondoness.

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
StormyRob

Re: a bit of spondoness.

Post by StormyRob »

Well it's official. This man has lost it. Engine outta bike the lot 😑
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Wee Robert , putting the mental into temprimental since 1965 :lol:

What the feck are we to do with him?
AMcQ
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

AMCQ46 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:12 pm Wee Robert , putting the mental into temprimental since 1965 :lol:

What the feck are we to do with him?
I'm not really sure a slap will sort it mate.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

Sad to hear.....have the cam sprockets been checked at anytime during all this?
As I assume the cams have been degreed, just wondering if maybe a couple bolts have backed off allowing a cam(s) to "wander" slightly.

Its a stretch but at this point there isn't much left...and if the engine is already out is should be easy to check :angel:
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

8541Hawk wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:46 pm Sad to hear.....have the cam sprockets been checked at anytime during all this?
As I assume the cams have been degreed, just wondering if maybe a couple bolts have backed off allowing a cam(s) to "wander" slightly.

Its a stretch but at this point there isn't much left...and if the engine is already out is should be easy to check :angel:
thats a new one in this saga :thumbup: . not something iv checked but , il get around to it when i set the large hammer im carrying about with me down....

but yes the motors tore out of it and its now a collection of parts.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

well as the motor is out i checked the cam timing and alls good.. but the running problems it appears has been the front pot, the plug on it came out white, and even looking into the exhaust port i can see even the valve stems are pure white, thats what i call a proper lean running engine, whats caused it? god knows maybe somewhere down the line i will find out :eek2 . you could pour buckets of petrol into the front pot and it would still be lean... all the normal airleak stuff was chacked many times and lines and rubbers replaced many times but i never got to the bottom of it..
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am well as the motor is out i checked the cam timing and alls good.. but the running problems it appears has been the front pot, the plug on it came out white, and even looking into the exhaust port i can see even the valve stems are pure white, thats what i call a proper lean running engine, whats caused it? god knows maybe somewhere down the line i will find out :eek2 . you could pour buckets of petrol into the front pot and it would still be lean... all the normal airleak stuff was chacked many times and lines and rubbers replaced many times but i never got to the bottom of it..
very odd...
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

mik_str wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:46 pm
fabiostar wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:54 am well as the motor is out i checked the cam timing and alls good.. but the running problems it appears has been the front pot, the plug on it came out white, and even looking into the exhaust port i can see even the valve stems are pure white, thats what i call a proper lean running engine, whats caused it? god knows maybe somewhere down the line i will find out :eek2 . you could pour buckets of petrol into the front pot and it would still be lean... all the normal airleak stuff was chacked many times and lines and rubbers replaced many times but i never got to the bottom of it..
very odd...
you can even see the top of the front piston is white through the plug hole. who knows.. :eek2
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Sounds like you’ve had some crap floating around in the carb or fuel supply line to the front one.
I’ve seen that before in a friends bike. It was a bugger to track down. It looked like some milky gue stuck on a hair which moved back and forth depending on the flow when we did.
I know you swapped the carbs and jets but what about the fuel
Pipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I know you swapped the carbs and jets but what about the fuel
Pipes?

It seems strange to me that all was good before you swapped tanks :confused
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[/quote]
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

This has to be the first time in this search for the problem that you have actually found something wrong, so well done Rob in finding that :clap:

Chris.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Fab, back in the day I used to hear of nasty bast4rds with a grudge adding sugar to petrol tanks to ruin vehicles.
Have you got a locking cap? was it left unattended anywhere? had anyone got a grudge?
Have a look on youtube, there’s some vids of the effects.
Just a (nasty!) thought mate.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Some good suggestions guy's :thumbup:

My 2p worth :wink:
Has the front carb inlet rubber gone hard or has a split in it :?: Or could it have been not seating properly or sealing on the carb or inlet manifold due to the rubber being too hard/stiff from age :?: although it felt like the clip(s) were done up tight enough.

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

My 2 penethworth... Have you checked the nut behind the bars ? :crazy:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

iv checked and changed everything.. at the last count i think it was 4 different tanks, including its old tank. 4 sets of carbs, carb rubbers changed from the yellow bike plus another set, fuel pipes x3, vac pipes x3.. the bikes never left were i cant see it.. :eek2 ..

its just one of those things....

it all started after a run on a sunday, going perfect.. i got my new tank on the monday and on tuesday went to start it and this sh1t started... so straight away tank of and old tank back on, still the same,, i think the tank change just happened at the same time it managed to sh1t itself between sunday and tuesday... the bit that baffles me is every single item iv removed has been tried on the yellow bike and it hasnt changed..

so it is what it is im afraid, i actually wouldnt mind if the engine had sh1t its pants at least i would know what to fix :sad2 ..

all very strange but its just something i can put no more energy into cause my old bones aint doing me any favors atm :clap: :clap: .