My other bikes

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
podman

My other bikes

Post by podman »

Some pics of my pride and joys, may of may not be of interest, any current 2 stroke owners on the fourm?

I bet, like me, a few of us may have or have had these in the past...and smashed./broke /seized them shortly after!

My number one favourite bike, my 1981 350LC. Purchased in 2012 , as a runner with MOT but on closer inspection, everything was shot and well worn, its only just this year, at the level I wanted when I bought it in 2012, like many of us, I had an LC in the 80s so this bike is the nearest to my heart.

To my ears, when the Allspeeds come on pipe, its one of the best noises and feelings in motorcycling.

I do keep it immaculate but like all my bikes, its there to be used , i do around 700-1000 miles a year on it and have ridden it( after transporting it in a van) to the Isle of Man and around the N roads in the South of France, its super comfy to ride both on country lanes and when asked, down a motorway.

[url]Image

My RD500 bought around this time last year, (hard to believe these came out just 3 years after the 350LC as the tech, look and ride is so much further advanced)...have worked through most of its issues but I have a small issue with the carbs on this which hopefully will be resolved soon(like next month) when its rolling roaded.

Love the look,ride and sound of this as well, its not quite as exciting as the 350 to ride believe it or not but I was 16 when these came out and the longing to own one never passed, in fact, when I got it home, I managed to find some old brochures and magazines i collected on the back from 1984.

Its a proper ass warmer on a Summers day..

[url]Image

My 1989 Kawasaki KR1, I bought this bike fully restored and utterly, utterly immaculate(I found in the end, thats the cheapest way to get hold of a fully functional running bike, my 350 taught me a project way is a cheap way to start but an expensive way to finish)

Chap obtained parts from all around the world to get it to this level, including new fairings, new shock, new OE brake hoses with all the wire guides etc etc ...he then left it in his front room for 2 years until his Mrs cried enough , took some very poor quality pictures of it and stuck it on the MCN website !

After being sat idle for so long, the carbs needed some attention and I had it set up on a rolling road with a change of pipes& cans (stock items hanging up in the garage) to get the best out of it, ive taken it to a couple of shows and back in August , took it for a few (moderate but fun) laps of Donnington.

The only problem is it makes you ride like a total idiot, its a real adrenaline pumper , handles brilliantly and for the cc, its still a fast bike on smaller A and B roads, its around same weight as a lightweight 125cc bike but with circa 50BHP at the tyre.

[url]Image
popkat

Re: My other bikes

Post by popkat »

Lovely bikes :thumbup: The only 2 strokes I had were a couple of RD250E's an AP50 and a CZ125 8O my biking path took me up the 4 stroke route but always I liked the classic 2 strokes

I did have a race TZR250 for a short while, raced it once but wasn't able to commit to a season on it so sold it.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The only two stroke i had was in 1963 and was a bsa bantam super.Passed my test on that and went straight out after my test and bought a bsa lightening 650. No helmet was required back then.Four strokes ever since.Nice collection of bikes by the way. :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

Really nice collection Podman!

I have a feeling the next addition to my fleet ought to be an 80's stroker. I have fond memories of riding a mate's 350LC, and enjoyed a brief ride on an NS400 once upon a time.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

wow great great bikes, i was a 2 stroke buff, I've had an RD200 ( electric start), YDS7 250 RD250 coffin tank, RD400 Coffin Tank, RD500 same as yours, an Kwak 750 Triple that blew centre rod at about 95mph and blew the engine apart and a few Scramblers over the years, maico,Ossa,Honda Red Rocket and just sold a Husky in the summer. Miss the smell of them and the tinny rattle.
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!
-Floris-

Post by -Floris- »

Very nice bikes! Since I'm a bit too young to have lived the 2-stroke glory days, I have never owned one like these (Just an Aprilia RS50 when I was young) but I'm just as fascinated by them!
Cadbury64 wrote:Really nice collection Podman!

I have a feeling the next addition to my fleet ought to be an 80's stroker.
:Mexican Wave: :stupid:
It's sad that, in our blindness we gather thorns for flowers
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

love the bike you have there........ very jealous that you have them in your garage.

we must be a similar age, as I grew up with 2 strokes ... dirt, road and race bikes of all flavours. ... they still hold a big place in my heart and out of my 4 current bikes, only the Storm is not a smoker.

from your collection I only had the 350LC [mine was white and blue] and my mate had the RD500 at the same time and we would race anybody 8O .
AMcQ
pstormer

Post by pstormer »

Omg your bikes nearly made me have a trouser moment. I've had a host of 2strokes over the years, spanning back to when I started riding bikes at 16. My list goes like this honda mb50, yam rd80lc x2 first one got knicked, yam dt50, yam tzr125, suzuki rg250 gamma (after passing bike test), honda nsr250 mc18 jap import, yam tzr250 vtwin jap import, honda cr125 motocross bike and gas gas txt250 trials bike. Two of your bike I had a finger tip on almost owning them but just missed out (dam you ex wife) The rd and the kr1. I'd happily give my left testicle to be able to afford any of the bike you own or some of the ones ive let go for that matter. That smell and the noise gives me goose bumps. I get off now by firing up my mate 2stroke chainsaw and revving the knackers off it. The craziest thing I ever rode was a suzuki x7 with allspeeds, led air kit and kn filters. It was like a light switch, full power on or full power off. Thanks for sharing them with us. Im off now to fire up the chainsaw, mmmmmmm 2stroke.
Paul
podman

Post by podman »

alanfjones1411 wrote:The only two stroke i had was in 1963 and was a bsa bantam super.Passed my test on that and went straight out after my test and bought a bsa lightening 650. No helmet was required back then.Four strokes ever since.Nice collection of bikes by the way. :thumbup:
Thanks mate.

Funny you should mention the Bantam, my Dad bought one a few months back, a very nice 1967 D7....and he bloody loves it..I quite like it myself TBH, itll punt along at around 50 making putt putt noises and smoking like a steam train , it has a charm to it .

For a vintage Brit bike, they are still relatively cheap as well really.

[url]Image
podman

Post by podman »

Cadbury64 wrote:Really nice collection Podman!

I have a feeling the next addition to my fleet ought to be an 80's stroker. I have fond memories of riding a mate's 350LC, and enjoyed a brief ride on an NS400 once upon a time.
Now thats one bike I would like to own again, I had 2 x NS400s back in the 80s, my friend also now owns one and whilst they dont have the engine of the 500s ( I also had an RG back in 1990..wish I had kept that as well) , after riding his again recently, the NS deserved its reputation as a better handling motorcycle.

[url]Image

Bit off topic but here is Randy Mamola on one of my older NSs back in 1991 or 92...Was a riders for health gig at Santa Pod, in the afternoon both Mamola nd Kevin Schwantz led a ride out over the Northamptonshire countryside which was rather spirited to say the least, great memories..

According to the DVLA records, this bike is still on the road now but ive no idea where or who has it, I would have to have it if it did come up for sale again.

[url]Image
podman

Post by podman »

pstormer wrote:Omg your bikes nearly made me have a trouser moment. I've had a host of 2strokes over the years, spanning back to when I started riding bikes at 16. My list goes like this honda mb50, yam rd80lc x2 first one got knicked, yam dt50, yam tzr125, suzuki rg250 gamma (after passing bike test), honda nsr250 mc18 jap import, yam tzr250 vtwin jap import, honda cr125 motocross bike and gas gas txt250 trials bike. Two of your bike I had a finger tip on almost owning them but just missed out (dam you ex wife) The rd and the kr1. I'd happily give my left testicle to be able to afford any of the bike you own or some of the ones ive let go for that matter. That smell and the noise gives me goose bumps. I get off now by firing up my mate 2stroke chainsaw and revving the knackers off it. The craziest thing I ever rode was a suzuki x7 with allspeeds, led air kit and kn filters. It was like a light switch, full power on or full power off. Thanks for sharing them with us. Im off now to fire up the chainsaw, mmmmmmm 2stroke.
Some great bikes in your list there mate, many I recognise and either wanted or owned, also missed out on a few due to a lady of the moment dictate direction of bike funds!

Sadly I had to let a TZR(2MA) and real street racer of the 80s , a rather stealthy MK1 YamaGamma go to fund the RD500.

The YamaGamma was a strange one as I went down to the local BMW dealer with a mate and the salesman recognised the numberplate, I thought he was talking rubbish but later that evening, he emailed me some pictures of him riding it in the mid 80s with the number plate clear to see!

The bike was believed to be one of the first YamaGammas built...I couldnt deny selling it back to him as he was keen to own iot again but not before the bugger seized on me big time , it almost fittingly finished its last journey with me like this...

[url]Image

Another good friend of mine has owned this Marlboro flavoured Suzuki X7 since he was 17 (he painted it in these colours in 1982! , luckily for him , he had the sense to keep it but this is him and the bike a few months ago..

[url]Image

You cant miss it out on the road!

Thanks for all the nice comments guys.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Very nice indeed.

I'd love a 2-stroke but have even less knowledge of keeping them running than I do a 4-stoke.
lumpyv

Post by lumpyv »

freeridenick wrote:Very nice indeed.

I'd love a 2-stroke but have even less knowledge of keeping them running than I do a 4-stoke.
lot less moving parts :thumbup:
3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the worlds population.
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

mate had this in his shed last time i stopped by, just one of many ... not my bag really but would love a blast on one

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

great collection of bikes and i so dont hate you for getting a 500 lol.... it was the one i never got. went through the 2/350 lc , x5, x7 aircooled RDs, kawa triple cr250, kx500 RD200 ,TZ350, stage and would dearly love another few of them.. :eek2
the older i get,the faster i was :lol: