My new red track vtr

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
nickcurtis

My new red track vtr

Post by nickcurtis »

After a few years of wanting a track bike i have only gone and got one :D :D :D
Well the story goes that i have wanted to do a trackday now for some time but after i had an off on my beloved triumph the cost of rebuilding it seemed crazy so i didn't really fancy doing that again

then i was having a chat with my friend who had a vtr1000f and he said he might just sell it for £400 so i said if you are i will have it. its a sound bike but had been neglected for a few years so needs some love. so the plan is to get it ready for a trackday then over the winter strip it down completely and get all things cleaned and painted like the frame and engine

what it looks like when i brought it. i think the owner before had an off and then try to make it into a cafe racer

So i took off all the parts i didn't need like mirrors etc etc and i thought i would change the cam chain tensioners because of all the horror stories i have read online
nice red ones to go with the bike :D

i then tidied all the electrics up because they had been hacked up and fitted all new filters, engine oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid, new brake rotors and pads and gave the bike a good general mechanical service because i just couldn't wait to take it to the track :D

bike all sorted and ready for the trackday at snetterton

The day went well and was very happy with the bike. i thought the main problem was going to be the lack of fairing and that the wind was going to pull my head off but one of the problems was the engine braking, god is it strong :D i kept locking up the back wheel as i was coming down through the gears and snaking along the track as i am not used to a big v twin but it made it more interesting haha. But the main problem of the day were the brakes, i had seen online that they were bad but i didn't really know how bad until then. so as the day went on and i got more and more frustrated with them, i was going down the straight and at the bottom of the straight i took to much front brake and washed the front out and went for a nice little slide down the track 8) 8) I'm all ok and the bike did a good job also

List of things needing repairing:
clutch cover
tank dent
clip ons
radiator
foot peg hanger
thats all i can see so far

Things i want to upgrade:
brakes. was thinking about some gsxr 4 pot
suspension. don't have the money yet for usd so will just have to do the best i can
full fairing. not sure what one yet as i have to make brackets for anyone i get
quick action throttle
new rev clock
and give all the frame/sub frame/ swing arm and anything else a good powder coating

so hopefully i can get started soon on stripping the bike down and fixing her up ready for some more track day fun :D
My baby's

Triumph Street triple r
Honda pan st1100
Honda msx 125 (grom)
Honda vtr1000f
VTRDark

Re: My new red track vtr

Post by VTRDark »

They are very sexy bins. We have a bin fetish on here :lol: Hole in the clutch cover...ouch that will cost. They are about £80 second hand now and that's if you can find one and someone who is willing to sell considering how rare they are getting. That first pic looks lovely. Hard to believe that is in the UK, wombles I hate London.
==============================Enter the Darkside
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Some work to do there mate, glad you are ok.

I thought the track day marshals would have given you a bollocking for not having zip together leathers, could have been nasty if the jacket had ridden up.
AMcQ
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

Ouch. Glad you're OK
Was it the straight down to the little chicane before the long right hander?

Next time you book a day, post up on here, my brother and I do loads of track days and Snetterton is one of our favourites.

You might want to get a carbon clutch cover for that. Might protect it if you come off again.

A fairing and crash bungs would probably have saved your clip on and tank.

I came off at Snetterton this year on the fast right hander on to that long straight. Very little damage to the bike really, just a bent brake pedal and bent crash bung. Worth having, as it only cost £25 to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

for the money you payed for it, its a billy bargain :thumbup: .

brakes, put blade brakes on it.
bodywork, theres a full black set of race bodywork on ebay atm for decent money.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
nickcurtis

Post by nickcurtis »

Miztaziggy wrote:Ouch. Glad you're OK
Was it the straight down to the little chicane before the long right hander?

Next time you book a day, post up on here, my brother and I do loads of track days and Snetterton is one of our favourites.

You might want to get a carbon clutch cover for that. Might protect it if you come off again.

A fairing and crash bungs would probably have saved your clip on and tank.

I came off at Snetterton this year on the fast right hander on to that long straight. Very little damage to the bike really, just a bent brake pedal and bent crash bung. Worth having, as it only cost £25 to fix it.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk
i will be getting some clutch cover protectors now didn't know how rare/expensive the covers are. i will post on here when i go again as i only live around the corner so it is my local track
cybercarl wrote:They are very sexy bins. We have a bin fetish on here :lol: Hole in the clutch cover...ouch that will cost. They are about £80 second hand now and that's if you can find one and someone who is willing to sell considering how rare they are getting. That first pic looks lovely. Hard to believe that is in the UK, wombles I hate London.
you might just be seeing more of the bins in weeks to come haha. clutch covers seem just as rare as rocking horse sh*t. can i get the clutch cover welded up?
AMCQ46 wrote:Some work to do there mate, glad you are ok.

I thought the track day marshals would have given you a bollocking for not having zip together leathers, could have been nasty if the jacket had ridden up.
they are zip together leathers just sliding down the road pulled them apart so i will be getting a nice new one piece suit now :D
fabiostar wrote:for the money you payed for it, its a billy bargain :thumbup: .

brakes, put blade brakes on it.
bodywork, theres a full black set of race bodywork on ebay atm for decent money.
thats why the wife said i was allowed another bike :lol: i fancy a full fairing like the sp1 or something else like a fireblade one
My baby's

Triumph Street triple r
Honda pan st1100
Honda msx 125 (grom)
Honda vtr1000f
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

That Black race bodywork has been on ebay yonks now. As for welding the clutch cover if you can get someone that welds ally then yes it can be patched. Another option would be to use something like the following which some members have used with sucess in past. All you need it a butane/propane DIY style blowtorch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220865171345? ... EBIDX%3AIT
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

nickcurtis wrote: can i get the clutch cover welded up?
Yes you should be able to get it welded up, then fit a carbonardi carbon clutch cover over it.

It looks like you took a fair old tumble there, glad you're reasonably okay,

Chris.
nickcurtis

Post by nickcurtis »

cybercarl wrote:That Black race bodywork has been on ebay yonks now. As for welding the clutch cover if you can get someone that welds ally then yes it can be patched. Another option would be to use something like the following which some members have used with sucess in past. All you need it a butane/propane DIY style blowtorch.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/220865171345? ... EBIDX%3AIT
wow i didn't know these existed going to have to try them on some scrap :D
sirch345 wrote:
nickcurtis wrote: can i get the clutch cover welded up?
Yes you should be able to get it welded up, then fit a carbonardi carbon clutch cover over it.

It looks like you took a fair old tumble there, glad you're reasonably okay,

Chris.
that cover looks gawgeous i will be getting some now i know the rarity of the covers. I'm fine, i seem to like falling off :lol:
My baby's

Triumph Street triple r
Honda pan st1100
Honda msx 125 (grom)
Honda vtr1000f
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

nickcurtis wrote:
that cover looks gawgeous i will be getting some now i know the rarity of the covers. I'm fine, i seem to like falling off :lol:
Good to hear you're fine :thumbup:

Chris.
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

i seem to like falling off :lol:
Oh it's great fun going for little slides, high sides and wot not and one gets used to it, apart from the expense in bike repair bills. Cuts and bruises cost nothing to heel but it's no fun when bones get broken. :eek2 It's even worse when that damage is permanent and one has to live with it on a daily basis. Still...at least we don't have to pay for the Titanium rods and screws from the hospital and I bet it's lighter than bone so we can go even faster :lol: