The fruit of my labour...

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Stephan

Re: The fruit of my labour...

Post by Stephan »

Miztaziggy wrote:Looks good, but I'm more interested in how you get 18 km/l.

That's over 50 MPG.

Meaning 12 litres (roughly when my fuel light comes on) will get you 135 miles.

How is that possible?

I'm lucky to see 90 miles between fuel lights, and a couple of weeks ago chasing through Scotland, it was as low as 75 miles before the light.
I have 7.5 l/100 km or 38 MPG on street and not over 10 or 28 on track. On street my working revs are 5-8, bike has 122 bhp and rich fuelling issues (at least on full throttle) at 5k.

If Mik´s bike is running properly and he is using lower revs, I believe it is possible. HC pistons make engine more effective.
Miztaziggy

Post by Miztaziggy »

mik_str wrote: finely tuned jetting, massively reduced rotating weight (and static too), increased compression (over 12:1), better bearings, engine coatings... everything has been optimised to the best of my ability....
Which would you say gave the biggest improvement to fuel economy?

I would imagine tuning the jetting?
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

hard to say as I haven't kept track of fuel economy over the years (being on my 15th year of ownership of the bike)... that being said, I did monitor it in recent years and it's as good now as I have ever known it to be, but the bike is way more potent and responsive now, so there's no downside to the performance.....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Still looks great :-) when are you fitting a turbo ?
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

great work mate... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
mik_str

Post by mik_str »

A "kind of" update:

During our ride last week, Jack Flash (superhawkforum member and maker of long fuel screws) and I traded bikes for a bit, this now being the second bike I have tried this summer in addition to my own (the other being a pristine ZX-11 owned by buddy). When switching on to other bikes, or rather back onto mine, one is immediately struck by the lightness and quickness of it (and not just engine-wise). It feels like riding a 250 two-stroke enduro almost given the quickness of response to steering. It is certainly less "reassuring" compared to Jack's VTR and said ZX-11, the nervousness being a bit unsettling until you realise the bike will not do anything untoward. The engine too responds very quickly, though I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of JF's bike (strong and smooth, just less frantic). The brakes, too, are very immediate in their response. In other words, it is diametrically opposite to a cruiser... nothing lazy and mundane about the Carbon Express... :)

Anyhow, thought I would share that...... Love my bike, and its ability to make me smile grows every time I ride it....
99 VTR1000F Firestorm, a.k.a. The Carbon Express
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

mik_str wrote:A "kind of" update:

During our ride last week, Jack Flash (superhawkforum member and maker of long fuel screws) and I traded bikes for a bit, this now being the second bike I have tried this summer in addition to my own (the other being a pristine ZX-11 owned by buddy). When switching on to other bikes, or rather back onto mine, one is immediately struck by the lightness and quickness of it (and not just engine-wise). It feels like riding a 250 two-stroke enduro almost given the quickness of response to steering. It is certainly less "reassuring" compared to Jack's VTR and said ZX-11, the nervousness being a bit unsettling until you realise the bike will not do anything untoward. The engine too responds very quickly, though I was pleasantly surprised by the performance of JF's bike (strong and smooth, just less frantic). The brakes, too, are very immediate in their response. In other words, it is diametrically opposite to a cruiser... nothing lazy and mundane about the Carbon Express... :)

Anyhow, thought I would share that...... Love my bike, and its ability to make me smile grows every time I ride it....
Well you certainly deserve it Micky after all the hard work, time, effort, money and dedication you put into building the Carbon Express :D

Good to hear your opinion on the comparisons :thumbup:

Chris.