VTR Cafe Fighter Project

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
Ant

VTR Cafe Fighter Project

Post by Ant »

Hello,

So.... I got my self a Storm two weeks ago, here's what she looked like when I got her:

It was written off a few years ago by it's 6th owner and the guy I bought it off; Paul just had to put a new rad and a headlight on it and off he went. He didn't stop there though, it's got a Ducati "Mono Posto" seat from (I think a 916???) an aftermarket speedo, leather tank cover and LSL bar risers. He also did the CCT's and the regulator / rectifier. The bike seems in reasonable nick, bit of grime but the engine seems to pull well, got the dreaded suspension linkage squeak but all in all seems in good mechanical order.

So after riding it up the road a few times I stuck it in the workshop and spent a few days soaking all the bolts in WD40 (Love the stuff) and last weekend I stripped it down. Here's a pic which I'm gonna use for photo chopping and a bit of CAD work:

I'm planning a Cafe/Fighter look for it which will involve a custom seat unit, rad cowls and headlight. My main inspiration (so far) has been this:

So that gives you an idea of the styling I'll be going for..

Will be starting on the engine this weekend, so will keep y'all up to date!
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
Sir-knob-head

Re: VTR Cafe Fighter Project

Post by Sir-knob-head »

That'll look great.
The last project of mime was an xj600 cafe racer. Period looking with controlled rust. Straight through pipes and spokies. If uou ever went to Rye you would have seen / heard it there

Good luck to you bud. I do fibreglass so if 7ou need custom stuff lemme know
Idiots exist everywhere
Doesn't mean you have to argue with them

Live to ride. Ride to live
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

that's looking good.I got a 1200 bandit that i streetfightered up for sale and a pal of mine is coming round for it tomorrow morning.So i shall be putting all my biking miles on the vtr.Will be sorry to see it go but i don't get time to ride one bike let alone two.Good luck with your project.
P.S.what are doing with the seat & subframe thats on the bike now? :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I look forward to seeing how you go with this, good luck :D

Chris.
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

sirch345 wrote:I look forward to seeing how you go with this, good luck :D

Chris.
Same here .
I like these special build [THUMBS UP SIGN]
Ant

Post by Ant »

Sir-knob-head wrote:That'll look great.
The last project of mime was an xj600 cafe racer. Period looking with controlled rust. Straight through pipes and spokies. If uou ever went to Rye you would have seen / heard it there

Cheers Sir KH,

Only been to Rye once I must have missed ya! Do remember there's a sign warning people that the sea gulls have become "Aggressive and unnaturally dependent on people for food!"

I'm gonna give it a go myself first off but if I F*@k it up I'll let you know!

Out of interest, if I sculpt the tail out of a medium density foam to make a positive mould what should I use to cover it before taking the negative? I'm guessing some sort of high build primer but are there any types to avoid?
If it's broken; should it move? Yes: Use WD40 No: Use cable ties. Now it's fixed!
Ant

Post by Ant »

alanfjones1411 wrote:that's looking good.I got a 1200 bandit that i streetfightered up for sale and a pal of mine is coming round for it tomorrow morning.So i shall be putting all my biking miles on the vtr.Will be sorry to see it go but i don't get time to ride one bike let alone two.Good luck with your project.
P.S.what are doing with the seat & subframe thats on the bike now? :thumbup:
Hello Alan,

I'm gonna keep it for now just in case this ends up on the back burner, I can stick it back on (I know not exactly fighting talk). PM me if your interested and I'll give you first refusal if it all goes to plan!

Ant
Ant

Post by Ant »

sirch345 wrote:I look forward to seeing how you go with this, good luck :D

Chris.
So do I!!! :D
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Good luck with the build Ant :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Sir-knob-head

Post by Sir-knob-head »

Ant wrote:
Sir-knob-head wrote:That'll look great.

Cheers Sir KH,

Only been to Rye once I must have missed ya! Do remember there's a sign warning people that the sea gulls have become "Aggressive and unnaturally dependent on people for food!"

I'm gonna give it a go myself first off but if I F*@k it up I'll let you know!

Out of interest, if I sculpt the tail out of a medium density foam to make a positive mould what should I use to cover it before taking the negative? I'm guessing some sort of high build primer but are there any types to avoid?
Never done foam method. I always use a super fine mesh as a Base. Add fibreglass to get it how I want it. Sand it smooth then wax it to make my mould I'm far from pro but I can make a mould and get a fairly decent result

If you do that method. Look up east coast fibreglass. I know they do loads of filler compounds to do the sort of Job you want. I just not sure which
Idiots exist everywhere

fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

good luck with the build Ant, it looks like you have a decent bike to base it on..... except for the purple shock which of course i would be interested in lol :clap: :D
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Ant

Post by Ant »

Cheers for the advice Sir KH I'll look them up!
Ant

Post by Ant »

fabiostar wrote:good luck with the build Ant, it looks like you have a decent bike to base it on..... except for the purple shock which of course i would be interested in lol :clap: :D
What is that purple shock, not the standard one I'm guessing?
Sir-knob-head

Post by Sir-knob-head »

Ant wrote:
fabiostar wrote:good luck with the build Ant, it looks like you have a decent bike to base it on..... except for the purple shock which of course i would be interested in lol :clap: :D
What is that purple shock, not the standard one I'm guessing?
Either a hyper pro spring or shock. They do progressive kits which are much nicer IMHO
Idiots exist everywhere

bigtwinthing

Post by bigtwinthing »

i like that very much and white wheels :thumbup:
missing the noise, not the vibes. However never say never!