AMCQ46 KH125 thread

Show off your bike, modifications or projects and share them with the world.
AMCQ46

AMCQ46 KH125 thread

Post by AMCQ46 »

Had this little 1976 KH125 for about 3yrs now and the back story is that I also owned it about 20yrs ago as well ...... when my uncle gave it to me when he retired and left the city. My uncle bought it new and used it for commuting and when he stopped working it stayed in his shed and when he moved away from Brum he asked if I wanted it.......... even though I had no use for it back then, I said "OK", as it was a free bike. :D

Anyway, it then sat in my shed till one of my mates asked to buy it to pass his test on, and I told him he couldn't buy it, but he could use it and give it back to me when he was done with it. he passed his test and then passed the bike on to someone else under the same rules, they MOT'd and taxed it and passed it on a total of 4 times, by which time we had all forgotten about it :lol:
so roll on 14yrs and I am reminded about the bike when a friend is looking for a commuter bike for her son, so the search starts and after a few weeks it is tracked down to somebody's granny's garage, where it is hiding under a blanket........ 7000miles on the clock and only a bit of surface rust on the chrome......... now it is a classic I am interested again.

I get it home and clean the carb, throw out the airfilter as the foam is crumbling, and I get it started. Ride it about 2 miles and it starts to splitter and it dies :( , and I need to get towed home........... turns out all the crank seals were perished and I had lost all the crank case compression to suck the new charge in from the carb, then up to the combustion chamber.
I tell our fried that it will take too long / cost too much to fix and tell her son to look else where, but in truth I didn't what a 17yr old thrashing this old family airloom .... it needs cherishing and looking after in its retirement.

get gasket set and new bottom end brgs and crank seals from China for about £20 and strip it down................ a 1970's air cooled 2 stroke single is about the simplest thing in the world and its done in a few nights... only need to remember the impact driver for all the "soft as feck" Philips head screws that they used back then. Piston has seen a few seizures, but I clean it up just to make sure it is a runner.

result...... it runs, but when it gets very hot it starts to cut out [after about 10 mins thrashing]..... I fix that with a new condenser [its 6 volt, points and kick start]. now it will run flat out and get hot with no problems.

so having invested a whole £25 on it, I know it is a runner and also a keeper as it reminds me what it was like being 16 and going everywhere at full throttle :D

so the big investments now..........
2 new tyres :lol: and run it for a year doing errands and summer day pootleing etc.
Then last year I get hold of a +0.5 oversize piston and it gets a rebore.
and now I manage to get a NOS Micron expansion pipe.

so the plan now is to keep modding it like every 17yr old did in the early 80s and make it into a boy racer tribute :lol:

so the photo history from when I found it the 2nd time.

Once I got it running

sitting in the sun with the rest of my girls

last night with new pipe

A cut and paste image of where I want it to head

Last edited by AMCQ46 on Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.
AMcQ
StuartWags

Re: AMCQ46 KH125 thread

Post by StuartWags »

stuff like that is fetching silly money too
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

i will add that my biggest dilemma is going to come when I have to do any irreversible changes, like cutting off brackets, as I am aware that its biggest asset is the fact it is totally standard.
I saw one go on ebay for £1200 in similar age and condition, so it will be worth more than the storm soon :lol: .
But as I know I wont be selling it, I want to try and go as far as possible without doing anything irreversible, then take a good look and see if I want to go forwards or return it to standard.
AMcQ
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

AMCQ46 wrote:i will add that my biggest dilemma is going to come when I have to do any irreversible changes, like cutting off brackets, as I am aware that its biggest asset is the fact it is totally standard.
I saw one go on ebay for £1200 in similar age and condition, so it will be worth more than the storm soon :lol: .
But as I know I wont be selling it, I want to try and go as far as possible without doing anything irreversible, then take a good look and see if I want to go forwards or return it to standard.
Storm is so much easier with this dilemma. If I have doubts, I just buy second part easily and cheap :-)
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Good story , very nice bike and looks better in person .
Be a shame to cut bits off but it's your mid life crisis and needs must .
Enjoy it
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Keep it standard, it's a minter!

If you want to cut and shut get an old clunker. That KH is far too good to butcher.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

KermitLeFrog wrote:Keep it standard, it's a minter!

If you want to cut and shut get an old clunker. That KH is far too good to butcher.
I am looking at getting a frame off a scrapper for that reason.
AMcQ
macdee

Post by macdee »

LOOK QUEENY JUST LEAVE IT AS IT IS

its to good to mess up

find another scraper an mess with it

i don't no young boys these days :roll:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

lol,

if it was a 250 or 500 KH then it would be sacrilege, but its just a commuter bike saved from being used as a field bike by some young scrotes.

it will now be used as a road racer by an old scrote :D
AMcQ
macdee

Post by macdee »

i cant understand how you forgot about the bike i would have been all over him like a rash :Argue:
told you not to but oh no you knew better
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

Similar seat units are up on eBay, cheap enough too.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SFORZA-Racing ... 2ca1e4c886

Then you'll be measuring up for one of these :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sforza-Racing ... 2ca2275c99

For that KR125 look :wink:

Kawasaki KR125 GP special.

This bike was built out of a number of parts and special kits. It is not a Kawasaki factory racer but a very good imitation of what could have been. The bike is based on a KH125 and uses Honda MTR body parts to a large extent.

http://ozebook.com/bikes/?cat=8
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

More ideas.....

Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

If you put that seat on it you have to get some ACE bars to go with it :thumbup:
Awesome!
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Vara... You are running away with it now :lol:

Pete, that will be the kind of direction I will be going
AMcQ
Varastorm

Post by Varastorm »

AMCQ46 wrote:Vara... You are running away with it now :lol:
Sorry AMCQ46, I just can't help myself :lol: :lol: :thumbup:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Race-Clip-ons ... 35e54b6c0c

some interesting info here too :thumbup:

http://sites.google.com/site/kh125uk/kh ... l/a3-tuned

Just keep your eyes peeled on eBay for KX125 A3 pistons & bores. Maybe a carb too :thumbup: