Hello - a new VTR rider

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Shibby46

Re: Hello - a new VTR rider

Post by Shibby46 »

Thanks, yeah sounds soooooo good now! Just spent the morning washing and polishing her up a treat 👌🏻 Love the blue, will get the small belly pan painted blue to match I feel.

DFE1DABE-4D9B-4A5F-921B-AA16D8C94AC1.jpeg
9212FBED-E56F-4962-82C1-18E487C7B99B.jpeg
sirch345 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 6:25 pm
Shibby46 wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 12:19 pm New Exhausts are fitted and look/sound epic!

YouTube link for sound -

http://vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php ... 0b#p486747

6FD9428F-6C19-4929-B3E8-4912B1B968A6.jpeg
I really like the look, and the finish (titanium look) works very well too 8)
It sounds great :thumbup:

Chris.
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Looking good. Amazing how well these bikes can come up with just a bit of tlc
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Time to start getting those MCCT sorted 😂👍
Shibby46

Post by Shibby46 »

Richard wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:11 pm Time to start getting those MCCT sorted 😂👍
Eek.. I know... gonna save it for a day when I feel confident haha.. I own a land rover defender so used to fixing/taking apart parts, just wanna give my self a fun day
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Well if you have a Landy you'll be used to hitting things with a large hammer. Just as well as the inspection plug needs some gentle persuasion. A 2lb toffee hammer will do it 🥳🥳
Shibby46

Post by Shibby46 »

The CCT’s have been done and now are MCCT’s!! I followed the instructions from on here which was amazing and super helpful, though the 2.5 hour job time was a little bit of and underestimate 😂 it too me all day! 6 hours start to finish but I did go slow and take my time. Gonna run the bike at home for 10min once warmed to check for any oil leaks (fingers crossed all good). I did scratch the tank though which I’m gutted about but chips away can sort that soon.

Job done though!
142622C9-10C0-4E5C-950C-7B6816931C02.jpeg
1F2938D1-10DE-4893-8A7B-CC98F198B7D7.jpeg
337DEB98-DCA4-4FAB-8385-D18A83084D87.jpeg
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Top man well done.
My go took a lot longer than that

I also completely wombles a tank when I tried to seal it. All slumped in a big pool in one side of the tank. I could have sent it away but found an exact match on eBay so went that route
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Took me a lot longer than six hours,but like you followed the instructions on this site.I turned it over by hand God knows how many times and was hesitant to press starter.Great joy when it fired up though.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Well done mate, it’s not a race and it’s better to be sure everything is buttoned up properly. Enormous sense of achievement and satisfaction knowing you’ve got rid of the worry of a catastrophic cct failure
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Shibby46 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 pm The CCT’s have been done and now are MCCT’s!! I followed the instructions from on here which was amazing and super helpful, though the 2.5 hour job time was a little bit of and underestimate 😂 it too me all day! 6 hours start to finish but I did go slow and take my time. Gonna run the bike at home for 10min once warmed to check for any oil leaks (fingers crossed all good). I did scratch the tank though which I’m gutted about but chips away can sort that soon.

Job done though!

Was it hard to remove the carbs from the engine and what tools did you use.
I'm having to do the same as you with the mcct's and I'm as far as now needing to remove the carbs and the tray/ shield cover to gain access to the coolant hoses and a few other things while I'm in there.

I noticed the clamps have an 8mm or philips head bolt for removing the carbs from their rubber perch.
Mine are not where it will be easy to get to as the previous owner or someone not worrying about the next guy just randomly locked down the clamps wherever and now I've got to figure out how to get at it.

Also did you see some fuel residue leakage (very minor) from the carb where it mounts? That normal?

Last question, did you re-sync your carbs when you put it all back together as mine was running superb prior to the tear down.
Thanks and congrats on getting a tough job done. :thumbup: 8)
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
Shibby46

Post by Shibby46 »

misnblu wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:45 am
Shibby46 wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:11 pm The CCT’s have been done and now are MCCT’s!! I followed the instructions from on here which was amazing and super helpful, though the 2.5 hour job time was a little bit of and underestimate 😂 it too me all day! 6 hours start to finish but I did go slow and take my time. Gonna run the bike at home for 10min once warmed to check for any oil leaks (fingers crossed all good). I did scratch the tank though which I’m gutted about but chips away can sort that soon.

Job done though!

Was it hard to remove the carbs from the engine and what tools did you use.
I'm having to do the same as you with the mcct's and I'm as far as now needing to remove the carbs and the tray/ shield cover to gain access to the coolant hoses and a few other things while I'm in there.

I noticed the clamps have an 8mm or philips head bolt for removing the carbs from their rubber perch.
Mine are not where it will be easy to get to as the previous owner or someone not worrying about the next guy just randomly locked down the clamps wherever and now I've got to figure out how to get at it.

Also did you see some fuel residue leakage (very minor) from the carb where it mounts? That normal?

Last question, did you re-sync your carbs when you put it all back together as mine was running superb prior to the tear down.
Thanks and congrats on getting a tough job done. :thumbup: 8)

The carbs are a little awks, just undoing the screws around the front carb rubber seal is fiddly but doable with a long thing Philips screwdriver.the plastic tray above the carbs is simple to take off wins bit of wiggling. Getting off the front plastic cam cover is the most awkard for me (got it back on ok though). If you can’t get to the screws (because of the first owner screws you) try a little long hook and try to pull them round to accesse them with a screwdriver (through the hole in he plastic)

I just used my Halfords tool kit I bought half price a few years ago at Christmas (paid £100), only other tools I used was a hammer with rubber end (to tap off the old cct’s and tap the rear plastic cover off) and also used the Honda spark plug socket that was in the bikes tool kit.

I did have some fuel leak out as I moved the carb to the shed, but that’s prob as I held it sideways as I carried it off 🙈 I didn’t see any fuel residue at the mounts.

I didn’t re-sync the carbs, they are running just as good as before thankfully. Long as the mcct’s are set right you should be fine.

Would recommend having the Haynes manual standing by, I had mine - helped when I got a little confused over some of the steps.

I’m no novice when it comes to engine work but I’m def not expert either! Take your time, read all instructions twice and should be fine.

I was sooooo nervous starting the bike back up! But I hand turned the engine twice round, hit the started and she purred to life, I was soooooo happy!
Shibby46

Post by Shibby46 »

Just let her run for 10min to get to temp, oil level still perfect and I couldn’t see any leaks around the new mcct’s or the plastic covers and nothing dripping down. Sounds and runs great. Had a little light smoking just under the tank right of the carbs but that stopped and didn’t smell of anything so don’t believe it was a cable (I’d smell the plastic melting), hoping just a little excess oil/fuel burning off. Fingers crossed all should be fine now. It’s def a job that has to be done but sure is a nerve racking one to do yourself 😂🙈
Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Top man!!!
Now you have done that, your valve shimming will be a piece of p@ss
misnblu

Post by misnblu »

Shibby46 wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:16 pm Just let her run for 10min to get to temp, oil level still perfect and I couldn’t see any leaks around the new mcct’s or the plastic covers and nothing dripping down. Sounds and runs great. Had a little light smoking just under the tank right of the carbs but that stopped and didn’t smell of anything so don’t believe it was a cable (I’d smell the plastic melting), hoping just a little excess oil/fuel burning off. Fingers crossed all should be fine now. It’s def a job that has to be done but sure is a nerve racking one to do yourself 😂🙈
Thank you very much for the help and tips.
Glad she's running good and continued good luck with it on the road. :thumbup: :Beer1: :Worship1:
1998 Honda SuperHawk aka FireStorm
https://www.dwn4lif.com
My website 👆
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Job done though!

I wouldn't worry about how long it took, the main thing is you've done it, well done :clap:

Chris.