Forum newbie

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
KingNog

Forum newbie

Post by KingNog »

Hi all
Had a good look round and it seems like a friendly place and so I thought I'd sign up. I'm not new to Honda based forums but I'm a Firestorm noob through and through. Picked up a '98 frame and engine plus some ancilleries last week and have the intention of creating a Monster inspired naked. Really liked what I've seen here so far, some lovely stuff created by real enthusiasts. I'm sniffing about for ideas and first hand experiences, in particular with VFR800 read end swaps and suitable subframes. I'm on a modest budget, so no SP2 front ends or ohlins goodies for me at this time but never say never. I'm based just South of Bristol and would be keen to chat anything bike related really, but with a view to learning more about the VTR and what is possible. I appreciate nakeds are not everyone's bag and I get a sense that some folk view it as sacrilege but I'm old and creaky,and have a ZX7R for when I want to be uncomfortable. Which is still surprisingly often. Anyhoo, nice to meet you all, cheers Jon.
Dickiebig

Re: Forum newbie

Post by Dickiebig »

Hi welcome to the mad house.
Lots of good advice here, by much more knowledge people than myself.
But first and foremost read the information post to new owners details essential mods
If not already done, mcct and rectifiers are essentials to consider and NEVER use full synth oils.
ATB. Enjoy
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Jon :wave: Lots of good advice here.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Hiya Jon, and welcome.

A build thread of your project will make good reading!!
KingNog

Post by KingNog »

Thanks guys.. I'm enjoying reading through old threads. I get a sense there's a real affection for the VTR here, over and above what I would expect from an owners group for what is still (in my fuzzy and bewildered brain) a relatively modern bike. Particularly one that sort of slipped through the net a bit when compared to more popular, i.e common, stuff like blades and such like. I've never ridden a VTR, or really considered owning one until recently, but an unfinished, and in truth virtually unstarted project fell into my lap.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Jon :thumbup:

What you have planned sounds interesting :D

As for fitting a VFR800 SSSingarm, the only downside as far as I know is it lengthens the wheelbase which equates to slowing down the steering somewhat, although that may not bother you seeing as you're not investing in after-market suspension upgrades just yet. Even so I do like the look of a SSSwingarm 8)

Chris.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the club mate.

As you have observed, a passionate, inventive, imaginative and slightly deranged group of individuals on here. All Brought here by a shared interest in what was in its time a fairly average bike, but I actually think that that is just a cover story!

Yes sure, some of us get very enthusiastic about modding the bike, but even when People get bored with the Vtr and sell it for something new and sexy..... They still stay on this forum!!! Why is that? I think it's the fact that we actually discovered a club where we fit in, and the people are worth knowing. Even though this is on the internet, where you have never actually met, they will still offer you help without conditions, The jokes and sarcasm are balanced with honesty and integrity, and nobody is allowed to get up their own butt before somebody gets their feet back down to earth.

Feck me, I have just re read what I just wrote and think I must have mis read the instructions on the prescription. nurse, NURSE, NURSE

Get some photos up about your build :thumbup:
AMcQ
KingNog

Post by KingNog »

That all sounds suspiciously grown up Chris. :problem:
I'll be starting a build thread soonish. As it stands I've got an engine in a frame with a front fairing mount snapped off the headstock writing the bike off. The chap I got it from not only sold it to me for a proper, proper mates rate 'oh, just take it away I'm not gonna do anything with it' sort of thing but he also threw in the spare frame he'd bought and the spare subframe. It also came with rider foot rests and hangers, rear brake m\c, carbs, loom and all electric components, airbox, headers, clutch m\c, rads, undamaged fuel tank, saddle and new leather saddle cover. I've bought a vtr front end minus the wheel which will be substituted by a vfr wheel to match the vfr sssa mounted rear. My understanding is the vtr forks leave room for a front mounted single rad. The only other major mod will be a smaller rear subframe and seat arrangement but I've yet to ID a suitable donor(all suggestions welcome).
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along jon..... one thing that is a MUST do on this forum is pictures have to have bins in the background :lol: , i have no idea why its just the law or something :D .

start a build thread and lets be seeing it,, parts are easy to find, most of us hoard them, some people to extremes (mac :D ). for a cheap front end, any of the early to late 90s blade front just go straight in and are cheap to buy.. :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Good to have you look in.
Try asking on here before paying eblag rates for stuff, most of us have sheds full of bits and pieces.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club mate. Good luck with the build :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Jun 08, 2020 10:08 pm . . . but even when People get bored with the Vtr and sell it for something new and sexy..... They still stay on this forum!!! . . .
And, in many cases (as I have done) end up buying another Storm/Hawk later on. I have a few bikes, but it is SO EASY to become obsessed with these things. :biggrin
Nosepicker

Post by Nosepicker »

Hello and welcome :wave:
As said, photos and updates on your project would be interesting - and I for one wouldn't mind an accidental shot of that ZX7R :D
Bad choices make good stories :D
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Welcome to the fun

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
KingNog

Post by KingNog »

Thanks for all the welcomes, and the interests chaps. I'm going to show my webunsavvyness now and plead absolute farkin ignorance in how to upload photos to these forums. I've never managed it once, largely because my raging ADHD prevents me from being able to absorb the necessary info. I see it written on the screen and my brain just blanks it. I can't even read all the way to the end of the instructions before the words turn into blah blah blah.... Also I don't own a PC and rely on my kindle for all my web access, but my phone for taking pics. I'd like to start a build thread, and include pics, but the frustration of trying and continually failing usually results in something electronic that has not been designed to fly doing just that. Incidentally that largely describes my riding style. Is there a reason these forums are so complicated to upload pics to? I'm not generally a complete div,but by Christ I really lose my rag with unintuitive sh*t.