looking to buy

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
tyga400

looking to buy

Post by tyga400 »

hi all looking at a 2001 vtr with 30,000 miles on it , what are the main things to look out for also what is considered as high mileage , are these bikes good for high mileage ,cheers everyone.
i would post the sale site but someone else might beat me too it 8O
Wicky

Re: looking to buy

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
tyga400

Post by tyga400 »

cheers bud i shall read and digest
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

30,000 miles is not high. my bike is low mileage for its age at over 50,000 and it still looks & goes like new.

buy the bike based on the condition and the owners OCD, ignore age and mileage. …. if the owner is passionate and into the details, and has books and books of receipts, wants to tell you about the regulator & swingarm bearings ……. that is a good sign.
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

I agree 30,000 miles isn't high mileage for these bikes. We have had some owners go over 100,000 miles with their bikes no problem. Regular servicing such as oil and filter changes are more important than ultra low mileage.

However if very low mileage is what you want, I'm sure there are bikes out there like that, you just got to keep looking :) as they do pop up now and again.

The only real faults with these bikes are CCT's (cam chain tensioners) than can let go and rectifier. The rectifier/regulator issue only really applies to the earlier version (16Ltr fuel tank model). The later versions had finned rectifiers which the earlier ones didn't so the heat killed them quicker.

Al (AMcQ46) mentions swingarm bearings. These can be a problem if not kept on top of with servicing. If you push down on the seat of a bike you are viewing the movement of the rear end going down and returning should be smooth, you definitely down't want to hear a squeak then, if you do then some new bearings at minimum will most likely need replacing,

Chris.