newbie and need talking into it

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
tyga400

newbie and need talking into it

Post by tyga400 »

hi guys , new to the forum im looking at buying a bike and i did have a firestorm many years ago , fortunately im in a good position now to buy another one and do a few mods to it so come on talk me into buying another one ( well at least when this virus has gone away)
popkat

Re: newbie and need talking into it

Post by popkat »

If you had one before then you'll know if you want one... I'm not going to talk you into it as you'll probably want one for peanuts and contribute to devalue the rest of them :think: :wink:

What mods do you have in mind ?

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
tyga400

Post by tyga400 »

i aint no monkey but ill have one for peanuts if you insist :D , not sure on what mods i want/need to do just after some pointers. on a serious note though i am on the lookout for one ( not for peanuts though ) willing to pay good money for the right bike hopefully i can find one :o
popkat

Post by popkat »

There's still some really nice ones about that come up for sale, you just missed a 8k mile silver one last week that looked mint... what's your location ?, might help with finding one in your area..

Best performance mods are to the suspension, if not already done. Cheapest mods are fork springs and oil then a spacer on top of the rear shock, there's good knowledge here on exactly how to do it. if your pockets are deeper then a Nitron shock is a big improvement..
Other mods like end cans are common, if just doing the cans leave the carbs alone and keep a stock air filter (don't fit short big bore cans), these bikes make what they make and unless you have lots of money you won't get noticeably more power.

MOST important reliability mods are a change to Manual cam chain tensioners as the auto ones will fail. reg/rec upgrades, suspension linkage servicing.

http://www.bidefordmotorcycles.co.uk
2014 CRMC Post classic Superbike champion.
2014 CRMC Post classic senior production champion. On a Suzuki Katana 1100
My bikes, Firestorm, Suzuki GSX-s1000 Katana, VFR800Fi. Projects, 1986 popup Katana, 3 XJ600’s
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:

Probably one of the most value for money bikes you can buy :D
No doubt you already know that seeing as you're thinking about getting another one :wink:

(1) sort out the CCT's.

(2) sort out the rectifier if it's not already been done, or it's the later bike with the finned version.

(3) let it breath properly with some after market cans, may need re-jetting too.

(4) sort out the suspension.

With those things taken care of, you'll have a well sorted bike,

Chris.
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Hi and welcome.

sirch345 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:18 pm
Probably one of the most value for money bikes you can buy :D
Very true. Always many for sale, but the key is to hang out for a good one. They will always come up (like the member's silver one already mentioned) and there will always be guys also waiting in the wings to pluck one. And 'peanuts' is relevant; £2500 is peanuts for a very low mileage one owner, just as £1200 is peanuts for a 70,000 mile 7 owners. I know which one I'd jump at!! :thumbup:
Pentode

Post by Pentode »

Just buy it, you know it makes absolute sense! 😃👍
Insufferable halfwit.