Newbie.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Pezed

Newbie.

Post by Pezed »

Hi everyone. Today is Friday, evening at mo, and on Monday I am trading in my Transalp for a Firestorm! It's all arranged, I've just got to ride a 700 mile round trip. I nearly went for a very well spec'd teal vtr, but in the event I chose a blue one, single owner, 18k from 99. Can hardly wait, I'm looking forward to finding out,first hand, just what the script is with these machines! I do not yet know if the dreaded CCT's have been changed, so if they're the originals, they're gonna have to last the trip back home, at least there's a month warranty! I shall no doubt be asking silly newbie questions in the near future, so until then, adieu. 😊
Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
KermitLeFrog

Re: Newbie.

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Welcome. There are no silly questions, only silly answers.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Welcome and good choice of colour too.......... :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:
I might see you down Hayle bike night in the summer :)

Good luck with your intended purchase, fingers crossed and everything else for better weather on Monday.

One thing you can check before you do the deal, and that is the front cylinder exhaust header studs and nuts, as they can become very rusted and possibly seized if not maintained properly. The rear cylinder doesn't get that problem as it's protected from the water thrown up by the front wheel, unlike the front cylinder.

Apart from the CCT's as you've already mentioned, if it has a non-finned rectifier (which it will have if it's still got the original) that will need changing (it's situated under the tail / seat plastic's on the rear brake pedal side). That can be accessed with the seat removed enough to feel with your hand / fingers if it's a non-finned unit,

Chris.
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

Thanks for your comments fellas.

Chris, ref the studs and nuts, what size are those nuts? (12 at a guess ) I'll take a socket along and see if they can be cracked off and re tightened, gingerly tho, I'll not want to shear anything. If they're all seized up, there won't be much else that I can do until I get it home really, then I guess it'll be a heat job and replacement.
I'll put the finned unit on the shopping list along with some manual CCT's, and if anybody can give recommend as which ones I ought to get, I'd appreciate that.
I'll deffo be along to the Hayle meet and look forward to meeting any other Stormers!
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Pezed wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 pm I'll put the finned unit on the shopping list along with some manual CCT's, and if anybody can give recommend as which ones I ought to get, I'd appreciate that.
*** Read Me for New Members *** > Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Pezed wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 pm Thanks for your comments fellas.

Chris, ref the studs and nuts, what size are those nuts? (12 at a guess ) I'll take a socket along and see if they can be cracked off and re tightened, gingerly tho, I'll not want to shear anything. If they're all seized up, there won't be much else that I can do until I get it home really, then I guess it'll be a heat job and replacement.
I'll put the finned unit on the shopping list along with some manual CCT's, and if anybody can give recommend as which ones I ought to get, I'd appreciate that.
I'll deffo be along to the Hayle meet and look forward to meeting any other Stormers!
I like your enthusiasm :wink: You don't really need to take tools to try to undo them unless you really want to of course (if you do decide to I have feeling they could be a 10mm size spanner / socket, although not 100% on that size). A good visual look should be sufficient, you'll be able to see if the protruding studs above the nuts are badly rusted / corroded. It's not the end of the world if they are, but it might go in your favour price-wise if they are, although it'll mean a job for you sometime. The clamp plate held in place by those studs can also become rusty, so don't be too alarmed if that is the case,

Chris.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

A 10mm socket is required but do not try and spin them off until you are ready to shear the studs. Wait until you get home and soak them in plus gas for a few days then use a blow torch. That way you have a 50 50 chance of getting them off.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

To be sure, use a nut splitter and buy new 7mm nuts.
They aren't a standard size nut but are cheap enough from Honda.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

I think I was wrong about the 10mm socket but CBA to go outside and check.

I concur with Tony, however a 7mm nut splitter is a rare beast. Not sure if the other sizes work?

And, when you have nice new nuts on clean studs, use loads of hi-temp antisieze and replace once a year.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

It's worth mentioning that there are aftermarket stainless stud and nut sets available, they seem to use standard nuts instead of the taller Honda ones, and need an 1mm metric spanner.
They work well enough.

If your bike needs an 11mm spanner, this conversion has already been done.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

sirch345 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:12 pm
Pezed wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:13 pm Thanks for your comments fellas.

I like your enthusiasm :wink: You don't really need to take tools to try to undo them unless you really want to of course (if you do decide to I have feeling they could be a 10mm size spanner / socket, although not 100% on that size). A good visual look should be sufficient, you'll be able to see if the protruding studs above the nuts are badly rusted / corroded. It's not the end of the world if they are, but it might go in your favour price-wise if they are, although it'll mean a job for you sometime. The clamp plate held in place by those studs can also become rusty, so don't be too alarmed if that is the case,

Chris.
If you did make the journey today you could have done alright with the weather :D

A bit late for you now I know, but I had the bike out today so I remembered to check the exhaust header nut size. I was right in that they do take a 10mm spanner or socket, but I was wrong about the studs sticking through the nuts as I said above, unless the bike you're intending to purchase has after market manifold nuts which will probably be shorter than the originals OEM, so then the studs would be protruding,

Chris.
Pezed

Post by Pezed »

I returned from collecting the bike at 22:00hrs, that was an interesting experience that I would rather have done during daylight hours, and not in the bloody freezing cold! Never mind, we're back now, and soon the work can commence.
I have pretty much decided that raising the bars and lowering the pegs will be the second task, or maybe even the first if I discover that the CCT mod has already been embodied. I shall check that tomorrow when not at work.
I have noticed that there are a few posts detailing this, so all should be well. :D
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Awesome!
It must have been a pretty chilly start this morning and it didn't get much better during the day.
At least you've managed to give it a good shake down on the homeward trip. It's long and boring on the motorway in the cold. but at least you've made it and a couple of tank fulls of fuel to get it all the cobwebs blown out :thumbup:
Well done!

Pete.l
My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal