Newbie from Exeter

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
PeteF

Newbie from Exeter

Post by PeteF »

Hi all
I just joined, although I have to admit to viewing anonymously every now and again over the past few years. Always found this forum a great source of info and advice, but the time has come to fully engage - I'm starting to need to ask questions :-)

I've had my 'Storm from new since 1999, although it's a '98 FW model, red. Previous bikes: Triumph 3TA (cost £35 s/hand in 1969 ;-) which became a metallic purple T100SS chopper style with high level pipes (sometimes they even had reverse cone mega's on, the rest of the time straight-thru), then a Trident, a Z900 which got nicked and finally a Kawasaki GT750 bought specifically for touring (which I really didn't like much, sorry to any fans).

The Storm's only done 8,000 mostly dry and sunny miles, I should be ashamed. It's also been in bits in the garage for the past 24 months, after I got all keen one day and decided to give it a bit of a refurb and some proper brake hoses. That episode ended in a sheered off front exhaust stud and a badly corroded starter motor connector - none of you will have ever heard of those problems before ;-)

Net result, I ended up taking the engine out to make exhaust stud removal easier, and anyway it seemed like a good idea at the time, having started, to go the whole hog. Having read the advice of the cogniscenti on here, it makes fitting manual CCTs a bit easier anyway, so I feel vindicated. You never really know your bike until you've taken it all apart, do you? Oh...and put it back together properly again. But now I'm a member on here that won't be a problem, right?!

I *think* I've found recommendations on here for the essential things to do whilst a refurb is being done. So thanks already for the tips I've gleaned, in advance for any further help you'll give me, and apologies too for any dumb questions to come.

Pete
Kev L

Re: Newbie from Exeter

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Pete :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Duffy1964

Post by Duffy1964 »

Welcome Pete

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Duffy1964
Yellow 1997 Storm R.I.P. Orange 2000 Streetfighter (Rufus), Red & Silver 1968 Triumph Trophy 650, Blue 2003 Storm Project, Red 2007 Montesa Cota Trials 250 & 1959 BSA D7 175cc Bantam Trials Project
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome ro the forum .... As long as you can remember where all the bits are hiding, you should have no problem building it all back up .... Well we hope so.

With the help of this lot of experts / idiots you will have it running in no time.
AMcQ
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Pete :wave: :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
TaxiDriver

Post by TaxiDriver »

Welcome along and stick at it,it'll be worth it.
Pete.L
Forum Health And Safety Officer

Post by Pete.L »

Great name
Hope you’re not as forgetful as me

My new ride is a bit of a Howler and I love to make her Squeal
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Pete :thumbup:

I like your introduction :D

Chris.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Heya :wave: Welcome to the forums :thumbup:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

You know sometimes someone's selling a bike that's been taken apart but they swear it's all there and was running perfectly before they took it apart?

I've never understood how that might come to be.
Until now...

It'll be fine.
I've always found it easier to just remove a head rather than take the whole engine out, to fix a snapped stud, but now it's out, it's out.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
MaroonMachine

Post by MaroonMachine »

Welcome to another member from the south :biggrin
Not So lean,Not so mean,Ex-Maroon Machine
PeteF

Post by PeteF »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 pm You know sometimes someone's selling a bike that's been taken apart but they swear it's all there and was running perfectly before they took it apart?

I've never understood how that might come to be.
Until now...
Thanks Tony, that really did make me laugh out loud. Just to save anyone the worry of buying my 97%-bike load of bits though, I have no intention of selling it, and hope to get everything done and put together by spring.
tony.mon wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:49 pm I've always found it easier to just remove a head rather than take the whole engine out, to fix a snapped stud, but now it's out, it's out.
Oh boll*x, what a smart arsed idea, wish I'd asked you before I ploughed ahead! The head is a lot lighter to cart around than the whole flipping' engine too. Although it has given me that extra experience, and a hernia ;-)

It's made me think, is there anything that you can - and need to - do with the engine out, that you can't with it in?

Your comments did also make me think about what my signature could be though, and I reckon "If it ain't broke, take it apart, figure out how it works, clean it and put it back together again". Reckon anyone has grabbed that already?

I read your (excellent) review of CCT "fix" methods from 2012, and a few posts more recent. It seems little has changed, and there's little to chose between the different solutions. I have to admit that I tend to favour Bazza's approach, at least it re-uses a chunk of metal which will otherwise probably end up in landfill. Can I still get this? I appreciate that I'm a new member and don't have the posts to PM him. I'll try, honest :-)

On a similar vein, I really appreciated marty/agent pineapple's post about starter motor refurbishment. Owning a bike that does <not many> mpg I feel it's the least I can do to try and salvage bits that are able to be spruced up. Is this still possible too?

Enough for now, need to reply to some more posts.... :-)
PeteF

Post by PeteF »

Kev L wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:48 pm Welcome to the club Pete :thumbup:
Thanks Kev. My bike came from Moore's of Hemel Hempstead, although I didn't live anywhere near there, I had a find who lived around there.

Cheers
Pete
PeteF

Post by PeteF »

Duffy1964 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:53 pm Welcome Pete Image

Thanks Duffy :-)
PeteF

Post by PeteF »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:11 pm welcome ro the forum .... As long as you can remember where all the bits are hiding, you should have no problem building it all back up .... Well we hope so.

With the help of this lot of experts / idiots you will have it running in no time.
Well, there are brick walls around the garage, no air bricks, and it has a roof. So wtf can any of the bits go?!

Cheers
Pete