Currently in Coshocton, Ohio

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Fabiodriven

Currently in Coshocton, Ohio

Post by Fabiodriven »

I appreciate the thorough lesson in hydraulic systems, but I am very well versed. I do appreciate your taking the time to explain very thoroughly though. I was not aware of aftermarket options, so thank you for those! Personally I don't mind a clutch with little feel, or a "lightswitch". Almost every vehicle I've owned has been a stick, I drove tractor trailer for many years, and I've always had bikes. My problem is with it grabbing so far out. That's just incorrect, whether it's Honda's fault or not. I'll start a new thread on the clutch when I get to that point.

For today the fork rebuild was on the agenda.

The first obstacle I encountered was a stuck caliper pin. It was missing it's plug cover, and thus the pin froze into it's threads. The hex head stripped out leaving me no choice but to cut the pads off and drill the pin. I tried a combination of heat on the caliper and CRC Freeze Off on the pin, which worked on the other caliper and pin, but this one wasn't going. More OEM parts on order! I think I can still use this pin until the other one arrives. At least it's out and the caliper is OK.

The forks and front brake were full of puke. Black, muddy, puke. The fork seals had been replaced before with aftermarket seals, which is probably why they leaked again. No matter. I have the forks assembled and ready to go back on the bike, after I track down some fork oil tomorrow. I plan on finding a local motorcycle shop to buy fork oil from, and hopefully they can also balance my front wheel. After I get the front back together I can lift the rear of the bike and replace the chain and sprockets. While I'm doing that I can hopefully bring the rear wheel down to the aforementioned shop and have them balance that as well. Then sort out the low fuel sensor and random missing hardware and such.

In the following specification, I'm assuming this means 450cl of fork oil? The Haynes manual could be a little more clear on this.

Last edited by Fabiodriven on Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wicky

Re: Currently in Coshocton, Ohio

Post by Wicky »

When filling the forks measure the air gap to get equal levels. And while apart a good opportunity to fit new springs to sort the squidgy front end.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=29710
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Fabiodriven

Post by Fabiodriven »

That is quite the thread, and thanks so much for sharing. I'll have to tackle those modifications at a later date though, as I'd like to get this bike back together today.
Fabiodriven

Post by Fabiodriven »

I got the bike back together today with the rebuilt forks, balanced wheels, and new brakes. One issue I'm having is kind of a soft front brake. It works really well now and it's safe, but I think the 20 year old hoses have had it. It's too soft for my liking. My truck is a 99 and I literally just had to put stainless brake hoses on it under a week ago. 20 years is a long time for a rubber brake hose. I'd also like to rebuild the calipers. They don't leak or anything, but that one was subjected to some good heat from the torch which is hell on seals.

So it does ride better, but it leaves something to be desired. I think part of that is from coming off my Buell, which was the best handling bike I've ever ridden, far and away. I might be spoiled. I do think there still may be something to look at in the front though. I wanted to check the stem bearings while it was laid up, but I hung the bike from the top triple when I had the front end up so I couldn't really check the stem. I swear it feels shaky. The wheel is fine, and as I said, balanced now. I could take my hands off the bars as long as I wanted to on the Buell, but this bike wants to shake. I can take my hands away here and there, but they always have to be ready to get back on the bars stat. It was funny, the parts guy at the BMW dealer who balanced my wheels knew a lot about the Superhawk. He was well aware of the odd clutch and sub-par forks, so the word is on the street apparently, haha.

An issue I definitely could use some help on is my low fuel light. It hasn't worked since I got the bike. I investigated the old sensor, and I found primer on the copper leads in the plug. Seemed like an obvious solution, so I cleaned them and it still didn't work. By not working, I'm holding it outside of the tank in the open air, which I would assume would cause it to register low fuel. I removed the plug and shorted the two leads on the bike side of the harness, and the low fuel light does indeed come on, so the light works. I removed and cleaned the copper leads from the plug on the sensor side and stripped off the large protective sheath so I could see the wires, and they were good. I'm guessing there is likely a way to check the sensor using a meter, but I don't know how to do that and I didn't do it. I just assumed the problem was a bad sensor, so I ordered a new one. Well I installed the new sensor, and holding it out in the open air I would assume the low fuel light would come on. It doesn't. I'm inclined to think my low fuel light still doesn't work, but I don't know that. Any suggestions in this department would be appreciated.

The new chain and sprockets went on without incident, and this was my first go-around with a rivet type master link. I'm not sure why they don't just send a mechanical master link. I've never seen a regular master link fail, ever. I'm sure it happens, but I've had a lot of machines over the years, and I've never seen one fail. Anyhow I peened the rivet link using a C-clamp, a tapered punch, and a ball peen hammer. Looks like it should work fine, but I would have preferred a regular master link.

Thanks for reading.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

''so I ordered a new one. Well I installed the new sensor, and holding it out in the open air I would assume the low fuel light would come on. It doesn't. I'm inclined to think my low fuel light still doesn't work, but I don't know that. Any suggestions in this department would be appreciated. ''

Drain/syphon the fule out & see if the light comes on...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
8541Hawk

Post by 8541Hawk »

How long did you wait for the light to come one once you plugged it in?

From running the bike and watching the light kick on and off due to things like bumps in the road, I do believe it takes a little bit for the light to kick on once the sensor is dry.
If you haven't yet, try leaving it plugged in for 30 sec to a min and see if that changes anything
Loud pipes don't save lives, knowing how to ride your bike will save your life.
Fabiodriven

Post by Fabiodriven »

I actually didn't wait long at all, but it doesn't matter anyways because the light worked today! Woot! Thanks for the replies!

I spent the whole day riding today and the bike did really well. It runs great. The stem bearings definitely have at least a little play, I'm certain now. I jabbed the front brake on and off at a low speed and I was able to make the stem clack forward and back. I'll have to try to snug them up.
Fabiodriven

Post by Fabiodriven »

No longer in Coshocton, Ohio! I loaded up and headed to Brazil, Indiana about two weeks ago! That's where I am now.

So picking up where we left off, I was correct about the stem bearings, as they were loose. I got about a third of a turn out of the top nut and they snugged up. Upon riding the bike after that, it was drastically improved, but I swear I could still feel something in the front end. The trouble is, with me knowing how this bike felt from the beginning, I cannot be positive that I'm not imagining a problem with the front end at this point. I think what I need is for someone else to ride it without telling them anything about the front end and see if they pick up on anything. It's good enough for now though.

I ended up ordering a set of new brake hoses, so we'll see if that firms up the feel of the front brake. If the lever still has too much travel, I will rebuild the calipers. The rotors definitely need some scuffing, so at some point I'll make up a jig to spin them so I can hit them with a flapper wheel.

One complaint I have about this bike is the headlight. It's terrible. On high beam it's not super bright but at least projects a little ways, and on low it lights up in front of me but I can't see anything past about 20 feet in front of the bike. My first step will be to remove and inspect the bulb, because I have no idea if it's the correct bulb or if it's even installed correctly. If anyone has good leads on what bulb works best, I'm open to suggestions. I bought a small set of auxiliary lights to add to the bike, but I couldn't find anywhere to mount them where they wouldn't look atrocious. These are the smallest lights I could find.

Thanks for reading!
Bennyboy

Post by Bennyboy »

Hi and welcome