New to Forum

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
MacV2

Re: New to Forum

Post by MacV2 »

Dave check your private message board... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

...So it seems I am still looking for a left exhaust hanger with foot peg. Can anyone oblige?

Thanks to Mac for the right hanger and can.

Cheers,

Dave
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

So my assumption that the damaged cannwas on the same side as the tank damage was wrong, it is in fact the left can that is damaged. Whilst Mac goes to look at his left one for condition, does anyone else have one? I’ve noted the pair on eBay but I don’t really need a right one...

Cheers

Dave
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

I'll check for you tomorrow once the the winds have died down...

Deff have one just need to check condition of it...
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

So I got the bike back together. Checked oil, fluids etc today fired her up and threw my leg over for the first time in 9 years for a 50mtr round trip off road. "OMG this thing handles like a Jelly" I thought. Felt like it had flat tyres. brought it back to the pits and just as well as it did - have flat tyres! They looked OK but had 11 and 20 PSI in them. Rectified that (whilst asking myself why I hadn't done it anyway and happy to say feels proper now. No MOT, insurance or tax so they are next on the list.

The Mig cans sound OK at idle but with any degree of throttle they are deafening. Not sure if they are standard MIG or doctored but I wont be going anywhere with those on it!

Question regarding the choke. Mine springs right back in if I let go of it. You cannot leave it during warm up. Is that by design or just another problem with mine?

I also have no indicators. Well I do but they don't work. Is there a known issue or do I just need to dig into the wiring?

Cheers,

Dave
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

The choke has a plastic nut directly behind the pull button, tighten it up a bit.

MIG's are fairly loud anyway, even better with no baffles in.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

If that fails a temporary bodge is a...

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

So... I go outside to see if the nut that adjusts the choke stiction is able to be tightened only to find that my "new" bike is peeing petrol everywhere. It was fine earlier but has since decided to haemorrhage but not from an overflow pipe, it's coming from everywhere :?:

I've chucked a tray under it for tonight. More work needed.

Back to the choke nut. It seems to be as tight as it will go. Is there an o-ring behind that which gets squashed onto the shaft? Maybe that's worn away. Maybe I need a new one but for now I got bigger fish to fry.

On a more positive note I stripped the whole left bar switch assembly, cleaned and lubricated. Now indicators are working, though I've now been told my indicators are illegal so I'm on the look out for a full set of originals if anyone has some. Yes maybe I'm boring in that respect but life is full of too many other hassles than to attract attention to my indicators at MOT time. Someone fitted flush ones to the front and miniature ones to the rear so back to standard for me on those if I can get them...

Cheers

Dave
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

davebrannigan wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 8:11 pm So... I go outside to see if the nut that adjusts the choke stiction is able to be tightened only to find that my "new" bike is peeing petrol everywhere. It was fine earlier but has since decided to haemorrhage but not from an overflow pipe, it's coming from everywhere :?:

I've chucked a tray under it for tonight. More work needed.

Back to the choke nut. It seems to be as tight as it will go. Is there an o-ring behind that which gets squashed onto the shaft? Maybe that's worn away. Maybe I need a new one but for now I got bigger fish to fry.

On a more positive note I stripped the whole left bar switch assembly, cleaned and lubricated. Now indicators are working, though I've now been told my indicators are illegal so I'm on the look out for a full set of originals if anyone has some. Yes maybe I'm boring in that respect but life is full of too many other hassles than to attract attention to my indicators at MOT time. Someone fitted flush ones to the front and miniature ones to the rear so back to standard for me on those if I can get them...

Cheers

Dave
Your indis are not illegal...As long as they work they are OK...However the flush ones arn't exactly very visable...

Re the petrol...First check the base of the tank is sound & not rusty, esp the seems & around the sender plate, square plate with the wire coming from it & around the petcock...Back of the petcock has a spigot facing down, this is an overflow if the diaphragm has failed, it will drip onto the rubber sheet under the petcock, so can flow out either side as it drips out. could be a fule pipe leak... Or the seals have gone on the carb bowls...

No O ring on the choke, sometimes the nurled plastic nut splits & so wont tighten...
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Ok so i removed the carbs again to find only to find the front cylinder inlet tract full of fuel. Both valves closed I guess and fuel tight seal. Not the best way to test valve seats but...

The rear cylinder inlet tract was also soaking though in this case the piston was holding back the fuel as the valves were open.

I’m just clad I hadn’t just tried cranking it as the hydraulic lock may have caused serious damage.

I’ve now drained the engine and left it open to breath the fumes away. I cleaned the carbs again manually as I think my ultrasonic clean was not actually done. The strainer in the fuel tank was split and the auto rock leaking past. Compound failure.
My “Free” bike is starting to cost me.
So far I’m into a petcock repair kit and strainer (from America coz nobody sells them here in the uk) a new choke cable as mine is worn beyond gripping the shaft, exhaust hangers, one end can, 4 legal indicators, oil and filter and a key blank as it only came with one. Ideally could do with a seal for the tank cap but it’s not listed separately. Then there’s the mot, insurance, clothing coz mine has shrunk in 9 years. Free bike not so free any more :-)
Just hope I like it now.
Cheers,
Dave
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Hi All, update.

Thanks to Mac I now have the OEM pipes back on the bike and I'm half way through replacing the indicators with OEM-esque ones from M&P.

For anyone interested I bought a petcock repair kit off the internerd and it was rubbish. It simply would not seal. If you looked through one of the fuel take off ports you could see that the rubber valve was nowhere near the seat - about 2mm away. The reason for doing this was that the original one was passing through being distorted and combined with a holed fuel screen in the tank meant the float valves didn't seal (rust on valve seats) and I ended up with a sump full of petrol. The cheap aftermarket valve would make no difference to this situation so I invested in a proper OEM part 16953ML0034 and though nearly twice the price it worked flawlessly. Sometimes OEM is the best policy. The fuel valve part of the assembly was clearly different to the pattern part, more flexible thinner, different material and longer than the aftermarket one. Anyone thinking of replacing theirs don't waste your time with cheap parts on this item!

Nearly ready for MOT and first ride on the beast. Judgement day looms.

Cheers

Dave
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

davebrannigan wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 7:54 pm Hi All, update.

Thanks to Mac I now have the OEM pipes back on the bike and I'm half way through replacing the indicators with OEM-esque ones from M&P.

For anyone interested I bought a petcock repair kit off the internerd and it was rubbish. It simply would not seal. If you looked through one of the fuel take off ports you could see that the rubber valve was nowhere near the seat - about 2mm away. The reason for doing this was that the original one was passing through being distorted and combined with a holed fuel screen in the tank meant the float valves didn't seal (rust on valve seats) and I ended up with a sump full of petrol. The cheap aftermarket valve would make no difference to this situation so I invested in a proper OEM part 16953ML0034 and though nearly twice the price it worked flawlessly. Sometimes OEM is the best policy. The fuel valve part of the assembly was clearly different to the pattern part, more flexible thinner, different material and longer than the aftermarket one. Anyone thinking of replacing theirs don't waste your time with cheap parts on this item!

Nearly ready for MOT and first ride on the beast. Judgement day looms.

Cheers

Dave
Glad you got there in the end :clap:
Thanks for the tip, and the OEM part number :thumbup:

Chris.
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

So the bike past it’s MOT yesterday with just one advisory - the front brake lever is a little bent. Happy with that all things considered. If I keep it that will get changed but for now I’ve done a URI Gellar on it and it’s not too bad as a mirror image of the clutch.
Just realised from the MOT mileage history that the bike has done 80 miles since 2011 and just 12 since it’s last MOT in 2014!

I trailered it back and fore so I still don’t know what it’s like to ride! With the current forecast I’m unlikely to find out this week. Getting close now though.
davebrannigan

Post by davebrannigan »

Right guys got a break in the weather for a first ride today. The Jury is out. I'm surprised at how the big twin has such a braking effect on the downshifts compared to a multi like the blade. Something you get used to I guess and account for with a slightly bigger throttle blip on the downshifts. She's also not great at clutchless upshifts - again compared to a multi. These are things you grow to like or hate I guess. Time will tell.

A bigger problem though is that with very light throttle openings in any gear there is hesitancy. As soon as the throttle is opened a little more it clears and she pulls but it was REALLY annoying through much of the ride. I'm going to guess that I have a bit of crap or Lacquer in a jet so It's looking like a carb strip again. If you read the whole thread you'll know that this was meant to have been ultrasonically cleaned but I think it sat on a shelf before being returned. I have a small ultrasonic bath of my own so I will drop the jets in it when I get chance. What is the best solution to use with such a device on Fuel lacquer?

If anyone has any tips on setting jets etc I'm all ears.

Other than that I'm sat on the fence with it. It will need more time in the saddle to decide if it's a keeper or not but it certainly hasn't put me off. Just a shame about the fuelling.
Cheers

Dave