New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Crofty

Post by Crofty »

Greetings from South Australia!
2000 VTR, fork springs and oils done, braided lines, Yoshi pipe, MCCT's all done but what shock to replace the stock one????
Attachments
Warm summer riding
Warm summer riding
MacV2

Re: New member

Post by MacV2 »

Wecome in...

Any aftermarket shock is better tham the origonal one !

Depends on your budget really...

High end would be Ohlins...

Good mid to high cost Nitron...

Budget-ish YSS or lower still Hagon...

All above assuming you can get them in Aus & new...

If you go for 2nd hand factor in a refresh into the cost...

A new Ohlins is gonna be £1000+ A 2nd hand one anything from £3-400 but a full service of said shock £300+

However things may be a bit different downunder so best check with someone your side of the world...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

I just picked my vtr up. Previous owner put a Wilbers "race" shock on it.
Piggy back res, hi and lo speed adjustments.
Never hesrd of them so looked it up, apparently well regarded brand and they go fo 11-1200aud.
Best rear suspensikn ive had which isnt sayin that much, but it is very nice.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

A few of us have Penske shocks fitted. Only heard good things about them as well :thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VTRsquid wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 am I just picked my vtr up. Previous owner put a Wilbers "race" shock on it.
Never hesrd of them so looked it up, apparently well regarded brand and they go fo 11-1200aud.
Wilber was a decent shock for the VTR, but they are no more... No longer available.
Marquez Motorcycle Services
Solutions to recurring maintenance
Race/Adventure ride event prep
Post event services

Total Rider
Your path to a TX motorcycle license
And advanced Rider training
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

DMr BD40 Series Rear Shock
Designed and manufactured by a long time VTR rider.
New DMr BD40 Series Rear Shock!!!
This is really exciting news for us here at DMr - last month we released to the public our new shock, coined BD40 Series.

A very brief back story: when I started this business over 19 years ago the dream was to build my own shock design. At the time getting ready to start a family, was still in my 20's, etc.......so things were different. I decided to start slowly and employ the crawl-walk-run philosophy. That worked great, except at the walk stage I became very busy and could just about keep up with workload. That was a real blessing and I'm still thankful to this day. However, success sometimes has a negative side, in this case it was distracting me from the original dream. I had been looking at the shock design on the computer screen for over 10 years but hadn't made it a reality.

Fast forward to 2017 when I made a conscious decision to transition our business and focus on our rear shock design. Then about 6 months later I moved the shop and that delayed things again. I pushed hard during 2018 and made it happen.

Here are some photos of the final result. Naturally, the VTR is one of the models we are offering this shock for. Shocks have spring preload, compression and rebound damping, and ride height adjustments. A high/low compression adjustment model is on the dyno being tested now and will be available very soon. The list price for the single compression adjustment version is $675. I'm offering them at an introductory price of $625 but that won't last long so if anyone is interested please let me know right away.

While our website is being updated please shoot me an email for ordering information. jamie@daughertymotorsports.com I'd also like to hear your feedback on what you think!
Dmr shock1.jpg
Dmr shock2.jpg
Post event services

Total Rider
VTRsquid

Post by VTRsquid »

E.Marquez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:50 pm
VTRsquid wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:47 am I just picked my vtr up. Previous owner put a Wilbers "race" shock on it.
Wilber was a decent shock for the VTR, but they are no more... No longer available.
You sure about that? I did a google and there were UK, US and AUS websites.
I clicked the aus one and turns out they are just around the corner from me!
https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcyc ... ?year=2000
The shock is great.
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

Well I was very sure when I posted,,,,but I guess now I'll recheck the info I thought I knew.
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

E.Marquez wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:23 am Well I was very sure when I posted,,,,but I guess now I'll recheck the info I thought I knew.
They do seem to be in business still...perhaps I confused Wilbers with another small brand company.I'll keep looking
Thanks for the correction
Post event services

Total Rider
E.Marquez

Post by E.Marquez »

VTRsquid wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:09 pm
E.Marquez wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:50 pm
You sure about that? I did a google and there were UK, US and AUS websites.
I clicked the aus one and turns out they are just around the corner from me!
https://www.wilbers-shop.de/en/Motorcyc ... ?year=2000
The shock is great.
SO NO Im not sure, but this is what I wrote in 2007,
No more Wilbers shocks from Wilber Usa
No longer sells or supplies Wilber shocks. I asked for a quote the other day and received a very courteous reply explaining the situation that has led them to no longer sell this product.
This is the reply I got. And below that the letter Wilbers USA wrote telling their side of the story.
Quote:
Hi Erik,
I apologize for answering your request for a quote in this way, but
we have a situation here which I was hoping would be resolved for the better
of all of us. Instead I have to inform you that we are not in a position to
offer Wilbers products any longer.
Please see attached letter to understand the situation better.
The new product from Hyperpro is available to you.
It has the same features where rebound damping, high and low speed
compression damping, ride height adjuster and remote pre-load adjuster. The
shocks come as either emulsion shock, with hose mounted reservoir or with
fixed or swivable piggy back reservoir. The shock is called the " 3 D "
model.
Yes, we can supply you with a custom shock for the Superhawk, please see
detailed quote below.
Our web site with the new product will be up shortly.
The Hyperpro shock has some advantages over the Wilebrs and other products
on the marketplace today.
It has a 16 mm shaft which is not only sturdier, but also displaces more oil
in the compression stroke so that you can regulate the compression and
rebound damping better.
Wilbers USA April 16, 2007
Ref.: Wilbers line of products, manufactured in Germany
Dear Customer:
I am sorry to say that as of 4-16-07 we will not be offering the Wilbers products out of Germany.
Orders for Wilbers shocks or springs out of Germany, that have been placed with us after March 1 – 07 up to April 13 - 07, can not be delivered, because the manufacturer decided not to ship our orders, despite acknowledging them in writing.
What has happened???
I decided some time ago to expand my business by adding a line of high quality, but more economically priced twin-shocks for the vintage market, the YSS product.
Please understand that I started marketing the Wilbers products back in 2001 without an exclusive contract from the manufacturer, and still do not have one today.
Mr. Wilbers came to know about my interest in the YSS products a few weeks ago, and as a reprimand, told me that I am not part of their “preferred” vendor group any longer. As such, the delivery commitment of 14 working days would not apply to Wilbers USA any longer. I would have to wait for the product to be delivered when they are ready to ship it. I swallowed, waited, and told my customers that there is a delivery crunch due to high order volume in Germany, hoping that Germany would ship the pending orders a bit later.
Asking for the delivery time again after about 10 days, I was told that as long as I would invest money with a competitor, I would not be supplied outstanding orders. I asked him to discuss the issue so we could arrive at a solution that would be satisfactory to both of us. He declined, demanding that I would state and commit in writing to be an exclusive Wilbers supplier, not carrying any competitive product, without offering me an exclusive contract. I declined respectfully and again expressed my interest in continuing with Wilbers, but the need to discuss the issue.
I suggested to continue the supply of product to the US market and not to “penalize” the customer base because of our differences. I offered to turn the business over to a successor if we would not arrive at an agreeable solution, but to continue serving the market until that point of time. Mr. Wilbers strongly declined, telling me that I would not understand the seriousness of the situation and told me that my orders – all of which had been confirmed – would not be shipped to us.
I am sorry that it came to this, but my business ethics do not allow me to continue dealing with a person or business under those threats. Disagreements happen every day, and can be resolved by discussing them, but they should not be carried out on the back of the people we both need most – our customers.
I have contacted another supplier of High Quality shocks in the Netherlands – HYPERPRO, explained the situation and asked if they would work with me. I am glad to say that they agreed, and as of today April 17, I am proud to offer the HYPERPRO line of shock absorbers.
All current orders will be contacted over the next few days, informed of the situation, and asked whether they want to accept the Hyperpro product, or cancel the order and receive a refund of their down-payment.
We continue doing business under the registered name of Wilbers USA. We continue serving the Wilbers products we sold in the past with warranty claims, regular service, modifications etc. We will honor the 5 year warranty extended to you at time of purchase to the fullest.
I know it will be difficult in the next few months promoting a new product, and basically starting from scratch, but I am committed to do so. Please contact us with your suspension questions and needs, and say hello when you see us at the next rally, show or meeting.
It is a long explanation, but I felt you needed to get the full story to understand the situation.
Thank you for your time in reading this letter. I am looking forward doing business with you in the future.
Sincerely
Klaus Huenecke
Post event services

Total Rider
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir... can we have some off your weather please.... also on the shock thing, anythings better than standard.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Welcome !!!

Great to see you got the best colour one !!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Crofty from Australia :thumbup:

Chris.
kenmoore

Post by kenmoore »

Welcome aboard mate.

I am in N.S.W and have had my VTR for seven years now.

One of the last things I have done apart from normal maintenance is fit a DMR shock.

Look up Daugherty Motorsports.

A guy named Jamie owns and operates the business, he is a member on the U.S site and owns a VTR so he knows them .

The shock he sells is a revelation compared to the standard item ( I fitted an Eibach Spring to the standard )

And the good part is that it is cheaper than a budget shock of well known brands .

I researched it to the enth degree and every time the Dmr shock came up trumps.

It's a modified CBR 600 unit with remote and all adjustments.

I ordered it and it turned up about 10 days later, great service, filled out a fact sheet on line, weight, type of riding etc .

Get one , you won't regret it, I haven't.
South Coast
New South Wales
Australia