vtr

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
sammy347

vtr

Post by sammy347 »

hello everyone my name is john from dublin, ireland. is it ok if i try to source some information on a 1997 vtr1000, i am 60 now, think i,m going through a mid life crisis, thinking of buying a 97 vtr but know nothing about them. will i be able to fit on it will i be able to handle it, what should i look for if i buy it. i am only 5.7 in, weigh about 11st, past bikes cg 125 cb 250 shadow 750 cb 500 fazer600 cb750, i have not ridden in about 3 yrs, glad of any info, cheers john
MacV2

Re: vtr

Post by MacV2 »

Your size wont be an issue, there are shorter bods on here with Storms, one springs to mind but I can't think of him right now...

Or your age again plenty of oldies on here, jeeze I'm 55 this year & I have 8 Storms...

The biggest thing I can think of is coming from IL4's Fazzer & CB750 you may find it unusual at first with a big V twin...You dont need to rev the nuts off them, big lazy tourque monsters, easy to be going faster than you think...& at first watch the engine braking, easy to lock the rear wheel if you go into 1st to early...

Apart from that there is a list of must dos... Check to see if it has manual CCT's or the std ones, habbit of failing & big bills if they do, £40 gets you a set of replacement manual CCT's & a couple of hours to fit...

Check the regulator / rectifier if its the std non finned one dump it ASAP & fit a mossfett type £50...

Check the rear shock linkage as they have a tendancy to dry out & seize... Compleat new bearing from a bearing factor £70, extra sleeves & bolts if required David Silver spares few quid a pop, dont buy the bearing from him or a Honda dealer as they will be twice the price...

After that good service, oil, fillter, air fillter & plugs...Change all the hydrulic fliud & give the callipers a good clean & pad check...Age of tyres ? If they are over 10 years old consider changing them, if thay have been standing on cement & are flat deff change them, regardless of how much tread they have old rubber goes stiff, they will have no grip in the dry & be dodgy to say the least in the wet...

Fork oil is worth changing if its origonal...20year old oil...

After that you can start making it a better bike & suited to you...Forks are on the soft side, plenty of people out ther you can service & set up the forks to your weight & riding style...Rear shock tends to be rock hard as std...A new shock works wonders...

There is plenty of info on here on all these subjucts have a good read through spesh...viewforum.php?f=31

Sounds like a lot to do & maybe a lot of money to throw at a 20year old bike but the same could be said of any 20year old bike...Horses for courses...

You may get lucky & the bike your looking at has a lot of these things done already...There are a few Stormers on here form Ireland I'm sure someone would be happy to help you out even looking at the bike with you before you buy...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Hard to think of you Mac as 55yrs of age this year :wink: :lol:

Welcome aboard John :thumbup:

Mac has covered your questions very well, so I can't really add a lot to that.

Normally going on the Firestorm is a reliable bike if serviced correctly, apart from CCT's (cam chain tensioners) and non-finned voltage regulator/rectifier failures, both of which Mac has already pointed out.

I came from a Suzuki GS1000 which is an inline four cylinder if you didn't already know. I would say the Firestorm is a fairly easy bike to ride first off, the only thing that caught me out on my test ride was thinking I was in top gear when I was only in 4th, and locking up the back wheel whilst entering a roundabout by changing down into 1st gear too soon (as Mac also pointed out). If you can get a test ride then go for that would be my advice, just remember the throttle is controlled by you and it goes both ways :wink:

I'm 61yrs old and bought my Firestorm in 2001,

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Can't add any thing to that except welcome to the forum. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sammy347

Post by sammy347 »

thanks for all that advice, you see used motorcycles over are fairly rough maybe because theres no mot needed on bikes, so to get a cheap one you can afford is really hard, i will try add a photo of this bike to see what you think he said the seat had a rip and a small crack on fairing under the mirror, but the bike was running well how do i add a picture by coping and paste
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Have a look in the knowledge base stickies (the ones at the top of the lists) for how to post pix.
A seat cover is cheap enough, a secondhand seat is easy to find in acceptable nick, and fairings are easy to plastic weld.
If thats all that is needed you'll be OK.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Welcome to the forum mate. There are a surprising number of storm enthusiasts In ireland
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir. storm have a good following north and south , im up the road in belfast but theres a few members not far from you :clap: ..

as mac (the cheeky fuk about height) says they are big lazy engined bikes but ,can gather there skirts up if you rev them......

have a look in the events section, we are holding a storm gathering up beside Newry in july and a few of the boys from you neck of the woods are heading upto it :D

PS im 5,7 aswell and only ten stone soaking wet.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
jackson7715

Post by jackson7715 »

With all the talk lately on Facebook, I thought id check my RR out today. Seems I have the old small one (98) fitted still. Can I use the upgraded 2001 (finned) version as a direct replacement plug and play without splicing and dicing up wires?.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes - but at a minimum make sure its a genuine Honda one not a cheap Chinese copy that abound on eBay.

Though still highly recommend a properly fitted MOSFET FH type to put any charging system reliability worries to bed.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... ty#p351482

PS I'm just down the road from you and have the proper installation crimps for installing the new connectors.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
jackson7715

Post by jackson7715 »

Hi Wicky. Where abouts?

That would be great. If u got a link on what id need to buy, ill order it then have a ride about one afternoon.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Be careful if he offers to show you his bike gallows..... :mrgreen:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:41 pm Be careful if he offers to show you his bike gallows..... :mrgreen:
:lol: you'll be getting him worried :wink:

Chris.
gabi81

Post by gabi81 »

sammy347 wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:20 pm thanks for all that advice, you see used motorcycles over are fairly rough maybe because theres no mot needed on bikes, so to get a cheap one you can afford is really hard, i will try add a photo of this bike to see what you think he said the seat had a rip and a small crack on fairing under the mirror, but the bike was running well how do i add a picture by coping and paste
Seat available if required cheap aswell :thumbup:
Aha you know what it is black and yellow...black and yellow !!!
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Best thing I've done recently. 20 yrs on a classic and wished I'd made the move when I was yr age :D . 67 a week ago and looking forward to 3 or 4 thousand miles this yr. Go for it!