Hello.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Daygan

Hello.

Post by Daygan »

Hello to one and all,i've been on the road with bikes for decades now,never had a v twin before so I just recently purchased a very good condition lovly 1998 black VTR1000,only one previous owner and 10,000 miles on the clock,(backed up with MOT's)it will be getting delivered next week,looking forward to it,and looking forward to reading some of the threads on here.
All the best. Daygan :D
Daygan

Re: Hello.

Post by Daygan »

:? Hmmmm no replies, thought I'd written it in the right area for introduction?maybe it's an inactive site?
Hmmmm ok?
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.They must be all still be in bed.We need a picture and as is normal must include a bin in the background.The best forum out there with a wealth of knowledge about VTR's.Where are you based as it's always handy to know in case you need help with anything.Enjoy. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings

Sounds like a find. How come the bike's got such low milage after all these years? When it arrives post some pics, and in the meantime have a read of Bike Maintenance and Upgrades/Modifications
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Daygan wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:03 am :? Hmmmm no replies, thought I'd written it in the right area for introduction?maybe it's an inactive site?
Hmmmm ok?
Nah we are all getting on a bit these days so all long in bed at 12.08 AM... :lol: :lol:

Welcome in, pull up a chair & have a good read whilst you wait for the delivery...

This is far from an inactive site, a little slow somedays but thats coz a lot of them have balck VTR's... :wink:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Daygan :thumbup:

Chris.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:50 am
Daygan wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:03 am :? Hmmmm no replies, thought I'd written it in the right area for introduction?maybe it's an inactive site?
Hmmmm ok?
Nah we are all getting on a bit these days so all long in bed at 12.08 AM... :lol: :lol:

Welcome in, pull up a chair & have a good read whilst you wait for the delivery...

This is far from an inactive site, a little slow somedays but thats coz a lot of them have balck VTR's... :wink:
My post said 11:08pm. Never knew Grain was in a different time zone. A different country maybe? Do you need your passport to get to work?
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

It's me I'm in a different zone most of the time... :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

see its 11.26 & post says 12.26...

Maybe your right Ian... :lol: :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:27 am see its 11.26 & post says 12.26...

You need to change your time zone settings Mac, you're still on summer time :D

Chris.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

sirch345 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am

Chris.
I know it make me feel warmer...

It's the blood forum that is wrong not me FFS

& it's bloody freezing today I even wore me VTR wool hat this morn on me trip to the PO...
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

MacV2 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:58 am
sirch345 wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:29 am

Chris.
I know it make me feel warmer...

It's the blood forum that is wrong not me FFS

& it's bloody freezing today I even wore me VTR wool hat this morn on me trip to the PO...
Sick payment cheque day?
You can buy another storm.... :Boxing:
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
Daygan

Post by Daygan »

Thank you for the welcome all,so it is are you very active site, Great I was hoping so.
Wicky asked a question,The bike has low mileage because some years it was barely used,it mainly lifting a garage,One very careful owner,pretty much standard apart from the end cans, and the jets needed changing too apparently,well i'll be changing it more,I already want a belly pan and bar-raises,heated grips. Lol
I get the bike next week,can't wait,early Christmas present.

Are the some other modifications worth doing?
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

My bike had a similar story behind it to yours.I changed it from auto cct's to manual ones at 5000 miles as it had been standing for years.I also changed the reg/rec to a mosfet one.These two jobs are a a must do mod for extra reliability.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Daygan wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 9:03 am Thank you for the welcome all,so it is are you very active site, Great I was hoping so.
Wicky asked a question,The bike has low mileage because some years it was barely used,it mainly lifting a garage,One very careful owner,pretty much standard apart from the end cans, and the jets needed changing too apparently,well i'll be changing it more,I already want a belly pan and bar-raises,heated grips. Lol
I get the bike next week,can't wait,early Christmas present.

Are the some other modifications worth doing?
Firstly paint it RED...

Nah only jokeing it'll still be black underneath so it makes no difference...

No 1 mod... Manual CCT's !!!!

No 2 mod...make sure it has a finned reg/rec or better still fit a mosfet R/R.

No3 mod...make sure you have a nice heatlthy bank balance then you can...Sort the forks, get a better shock, sort the brakes, head race bearings & the often overlooked from when it was new the shock linkage...(Very important to at least check your linkage & re grease at a min)...then its personal adjustments to the look...If your a chav there are plenty of shiny bits you could fit if your that way inclined...

Re forks...at a min stip & clean as the oil will be past its best, stage two would be new springs, stage three would be to get them Rogered...Stage four if you fancy something a bit more fancy is to retro fit with different forks... Some are straight fit most will require new head stock bearings, stem swap, matching wheel & discs...It can get a bit complex...

Re Shock... As stadard its on the hard side & has little adjusment, new aftermarket ones from around £250 upto over a Grand for a new Ohlins...2nd hand ones do come up but factor in a rebuild & spring to suit in the costs...

Re brakes...As a min, new fluid is a must...do the rear & clutch whilst you have the fresh fluid to hand...Strip & clean the callipers, new pads, braided lines... Upgrade callipers CBR600f4i is a popular mod, little bit of work to make them fit & you will need a matching M/C..ebay around £100...Often much cheaper if you can blag a set from the US but shipping can be high & you'll prob get stung with import duties...The bonus is the dont throw salt on the roads in the winter...

Have a bloody good read through the posts in the workshop section, there is plenty of good info onb all these mods & upgrades...

Have fun & whatch the over draft... :lol: