Acquired a 1999 Firestorm

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
MacV2

Re: Acquired a 1999 Firestorm

Post by MacV2 »

Dazza2910 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:56 am Will need to get some paddocks stands too. Already have two, but the front one is an under yoke one and I don't have the right pin size. The rear one I have has hooks and the Firestorm swingarm doesn't have anywhere to screw in bobbins!

So another purchase......

Although I'm going to need something else when I take the swingarm out!!

Fun and games!
You have a PM Sir...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Dazza2910 wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:56 am Will need to get some paddocks stands too. Already have two, but the front one is an under yoke one and I don't have the right pin size. The rear one I have has hooks and the Firestorm swingarm doesn't have anywhere to screw in bobbins!

So another purchase......

Although I'm going to need something else when I take the swingarm out!!

Fun and games!

I had to improvise a pin using a 17mm ½" socket

Just remember to put a towel on the front mudguard/fender to avaoid scratches

And use a step ladder or garage joist to support the bike when dismembering the rear end

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Mac mentioned using an old socket. Pretty sure I still have my imperial ones kicking about somewhere that never get used, so will try that later. I learnt my lesson with the towel trick when I scratched one of my bikes years ago!!

Had looked into one of these lifts that goes under the engine for when the swingarm is out. Will cross that bridge when I come to it. My old garage had handy rafters in the roof for such work.

Daz
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Was speaking to the got I got the bike off today and he was asking how I was getting on and what I was going to do next. Turns out he's already put manual cam chain tensioners in. Result!

Engine service and coolant flush at the weekend is the plan.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Are you certain it has manual CCTs installed?

Your bike

Manual tensioner

OEM Honda imploding CCT

Unless it's a Bazza converted pair

Last edited by Wicky on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Dickiebig

Post by Dickiebig »

Looks like standard honda ones to me. :(
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Richard wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 5:54 pm Looks like standard honda ones to me. :(
Looks like autos to me as well Richard.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Oh well. I said manual ones to him, maybe he meant just standard ones. Bike hasn't been used since they were fitted.
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

That is often the worst case scenario. At least to the stopper mod mate.
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Stopper mod?
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Open up a CCT and use a small rod to prevent the CCT completely letting go when the spring breaks.

sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Dazza2910 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:14 pm Stopper mod?
Here you go:-

viewtopic.php?f=31&t=19416

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

The stopper mod does not stop the cct's from failing,but it does prevent engine damage.Imho the cct's may just as well be replaced with manual cct's as the autos have to be removed to do the stopper mod, so it makes sense to me to replace them and then it's job done for good.If you want to keep the original look of the bike there is a member on this site (bazza696) that converts autos to manuals.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Dazza,
Welcome form another Scot, there are a few on here but typically scattered around this fine land.
If your needing a set, i have a spare set of Bazza ones, were for another member, but he sold the bike first. Or just ask out, i'm sure the providers will be around soon enough to sell their wares. I have meetings in Edinburgh every month and always down to Murrayfield. the job itself is easy enough, you just need balls when you hit the Fire up button the first time round.

Anyway, if you tracking it, will knockhill be your local, or heading further south. Get it road going then you can enjoy both worlds.
Very nice of your friend just to hand it over, but Project bikes take dedication to get complete, just go look see how long some are ongoing in the "Projects" section. but be aware, they are very addictive when you do start moding them.

Be warned, they are a strange bunch on here, great when pissed, great avice and knoledge including some very tallented people from around the world. just dont be offended if someone makes a comment negatively (probable cause they have screwed it up previously.. you all know who you are..)
anyway you need to get the bike sorted by next summer so you can come join the nutters for some ride outs. you do drink dont yah :beer: :beer: :roll: :beer: :beer:
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
Dazza2910

Post by Dazza2910 »

Not sure about putting it in the road yet as it's something else to tax and insure! Plus I love my KTM so know I'll be out on that more.

First track day on it will probably be Knockhill so it's not too far from home. Will maybe do a couple down south too. I love Oulton Park!

Definitely interested in the CCT's. Doing some work on it at the weekend so will let you know.

No, I don't drink. Well rarely anyway. Still know how to have fun though, just don't need a drink to enjoy myself!