hello from maryport

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
sniffipn

hello from maryport

Post by sniffipn »

hello, my names david - and i like v-twins.

having said that, for the last few years, i've ridden a z650 (1980) to work each day, unless its icy.

wondering whether to recommission an old guzzi to use this winter, rework the zed a little, or try a firestorm.

so, here to research.

seriously impressed with how the forum is organised - and the amount of info available.
Last edited by sniffipn on Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nigelrb

Re: hello from maryport

Post by nigelrb »

Hi Sniffy, and welcome.

Just bought my 1999 'Storm' yesterday. Big change from my Blades and a fun bike to ride.

There are many VTRs available at good prices. Why not grab one and save the Guzzi for best?
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Storms work well as a commuter, except in city traffic for more than half an hour, I'd say.
They are very easy to use in less than ideal weather, and even in ice and snow they cope.
But when you do get a bit of straight road or a few bends on a dry day they reward you.

They'll overheat in summer in slow or stationary commute traffic, but as they're so slim you can keep moving when most bikes are stuck behind traffic.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum.IMO.the most underrated bike made by Honda.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

There are many VTRs available at good prices. Why not grab one and save the Guzzi for best?
[/quote]
saving for best sounds like a sensible idea. having said that, the zed has been more fun for the use it gets. several winters use have been hard on it, cosmetically. content to enjoy using it, maintain, repair when it breaks, rebuild it when it rusts away. and it would be sad if the tyres got old before wearing out.

i've been watching on ebay for a week or two. nothing local - though north west cumbria is 40 mins from anywhere. if there was something in carlisle, i'd certainly go for a look. newcastle, glasgow and manchester are 2 - 2.5 hours, Liverpool a little further perhaps. sooner or later i'll see something.

they appear good value - and would go on a classic policy. :D
Last edited by sniffipn on Tue Aug 28, 2018 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:30 pm Storms work well as a commuter, except in city traffic for more than half an hour, I'd say.
They are very easy to use in less than ideal weather, and even in ice and snow they cope.
But when you do get a bit of straight road or a few bends on a dry day they reward you.

They'll overheat in summer in slow or stationary commute traffic, but as they're so slim you can keep moving when most bikes are stuck behind traffic.
thats the beauty of cumbria. little traffic. following a tractor and trailer at 30mph for a while - at silage making time is as bad as it gets. other than a caravan or two that is. plenty of alternative roads though.
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:17 am Hello and welcome to the forum.IMO.the most underrated bike made by Honda.
so i now recognize. a delight to see the interest in them.
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

the more threads i look at, the better i see this forum to be. its great
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the forum.

we take a run through Cumbria on both the yorkshire meeting at the start of teh year and on the way up to the Scotland meet that we just had 3 weeks ago.

you might have heard us :lol:
AMcQ
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

AMCQ46 wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:51 pm welcome to the forum.

we take a run through Cumbria on both the yorkshire meeting at the start of teh year and on the way up to the Scotland meet that we just had 3 weeks ago.

you might have heard us :lol:
on the m6, or the a66/a5086?

maybe next year, i'll have a vtr to join in for a few miles
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

For Yorkshire trip we went from Penrith round Ulswater over kirkstone pass and into Windermere. For the Scotland trip we got lazy and went up,the A6, but we got stuck behind a police car from Kendal to Shap, and then from Penrith up they had closed the M6 so we had to ride the white line for the rest of the A6 to Carlisle
AMcQ
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

kirkstone is an interesting ride. so are the other passes. a colleague rides them each year. best done early in the day - to avoid the traffic and mountain bikes.

i like honister in the spring and autumn. Hardknott Pass and then Wrynose Pass can be challenging when it gets busy. some bends are tight and steep. rumour has it that an ex colleague fell off his new bmw there, whilst on a training course. reminds me to have a look on youtube. dont recall the bends looking so bad on peoples videos. maybe i was riding in the wrong direction.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard David :thumbup:

Chris.
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

sirch345 wrote: Tue Aug 28, 2018 10:48 pm Welcome aboard David :thumbup:

Chris.
thanks chris. lots of interest. tech info, inspirational rebuilds, sensible conversations going on - with friendly banter.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Have you ridden a VTR yet? Or even bought one? I've not kept up with the posts.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)