hello from maryport

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
sniffipn

Re: hello from maryport

Post by sniffipn »

KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 am Have you ridden a VTR yet? Or even bought one? I've not kept up with the posts.
no.
sadly not
lots appearing in ebay.
i can message the 'for sale on forum' now, so more choice.
looking to see whether there is a 'common faults and problem', other than the cam chain tensioners.
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

You're welcome to take mine for a ride. It needs some miles being put on it.

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
bobbler

Post by bobbler »

sniffipn wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:03 pm
KermitLeFrog wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:55 am Have you ridden a VTR yet? Or even bought one? I've not kept up with the posts.
no.
sadly not
lots appearing in ebay.
looking to see whether there is a 'common faults and problem', other than the cam chain tensioners.
Can chain tensioners and regulator-rectifier are about the only two main common problems I think
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

bobbler wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 1:09 pm
sniffipn wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 10:03 pm
no.
sadly not
lots appearing in ebay.
Can chain tensioners and regulator-rectifier are about the only two main common problems I think
& the shock linkage not having been sevrviced, & the forks being soft & possibly having 20 year old oil in them & the rear shock being too hard...

In general it's a 20 year old bike that has probably been through multiple owners all with their own idea of how to or not to look after it...

Don't get me wrong they are a great bike, thats why i'm here, you just have to be aware when buying & be prepared to spend some coin on either making it 'yours' or making it right... :thumbup:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

tony.mon wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:30 pm Storms work well as a commuter, except in city traffic for more than half an hour, I'd say.
They are very easy to use in less than ideal weather, and even in ice and snow they cope.
But when you do get a bit of straight road or a few bends on a dry day they reward you.

They'll overheat in summer in slow or stationary commute traffic, but as they're so slim you can keep moving when most bikes are stuck behind traffic.
in my short term experience 100%
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"