Another Hello

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
nigelrb

Another Hello

Post by nigelrb »

Hi there. I'm Nigel from West Midlands (near Worcester) UK.

Just bought my first V-Twin today, a 1999 red 'F' series VTR Firestorm. Got a few miles on it, but has been really well maintained with heaps of service history and runs well, and quiet. No CCT issues!

I used to bike ride (bicycle) 100 mile round trips on a weekend just for fun. I guess the natural progression was to motorcycles. When I was 16, I would ogle BSA Thunderbolts in the police barracks. I bought a CB 175 (gold/white) in 1970, and later traded up to a red CB 750 K1 in 1971. Took to racing that in 1972. Bored out to 820 using CB 350 pistons, running on Methanol (before it was a nightclub favourite) factory aluminium tank and twin discs - which only factory bikes had at the time. Also reduced front wheel from 19" to 18 with both rims alloy Boranni.

Sold the lot to enter the arena of marriage and family and had nothing until 1984 when I bought a new VF 750. Had that for a while until divorce took everything except a kettle and a pair of worn Adidas.

Had crap runabouts for a while - the likes of Kawasaki 250 single four stroke, but didn't re-enter scene until April last year when I bought a second-hand CBR250R. That served to rekindle the flame, and 6 months later, in October last year, I bought a 2011 Blade. Have been on a bit of a buying spree since, but rather than be seen to be bragging or big-noting, I might mention some of these in future posts.

I am active on a couple of biking forums and look forward to generous participation. Will do the mandatory pics tomorrow, but leave this crap one for now.

Ruddy

Re: Another Hello

Post by Ruddy »

Welcome aboard Nigel, what a great intro. I'm new here myself but they seem a friendly and helpful bunch. I take the kettle wasn't a nice kwak tripple.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

Ruddy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm I take the kettle wasn't a nice kwak tripple.
Thanks. Don't want to sound like a smart-butt in my 2nd post, but the 'kettle' was a Suzuki. You're forgiven if you're not old enough to remember! :)
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the forum.
Also from near Worcester in the Birmingham direction so might see you out on the A44
AMcQ
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:17 pm Welcome to the forum.
Also from near Worcester in the Birmingham direction so might see you out on the A44
Cheers! I often go to Suttons in Bromsgrove for a bit of a look around. Rare to find the good stuff in dealers now though, and if you do, they want top money!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Nigel, nice introduction :thumbup:

Chris.
Ruddy

Post by Ruddy »

nigelrb wrote:
Ruddy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 6:05 pm I take the kettle wasn't a nice kwak tripple.
Thanks. Don't want to sound like a smart-butt in my 2nd post, but the 'kettle' was a Suzuki. You're forgiven if you're not old enough to remember! :)
My bad,Image the sad thing is I am old enough to remember, I've just got a sh1t memory Image. Worse thing is a guy I know has one.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club matey
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Ruddy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:38 pm
nigelrb wrote:
My bad,Image the sad thing is I am old enough to remember, I've just got a sh1t memory Image. Worse thing is a guy I know has one.
Yep, everyone knows someone with a sh1t memory.
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along to the wrinkly club sir :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

fabiostar wrote: Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:20 am welcome along to the wrinkly club sir :clap:
Damn! I forgot my Botox appointment :oops:

Upgraded pics here. Certainly not a mint bike, but good value and might even whet my appetite for an SP1 or 2 :D .

sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

looks clean and tidy nigel. what drew you to the vtr, with having a few fireblades?
sniffipn

Post by sniffipn »

tony.mon wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:00 pm
Ruddy wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 10:38 pm
nigelrb wrote:
Yep, everyone knows someone with a sh1t memory.
cant always remember who though. glad not to be the only one who has a few senior moments
nigelrb

Post by nigelrb »

sniffipn wrote: Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:26 pm looks clean and tidy nigel. what drew you to the vtr, with having a few fireblades?
I'm going to sound like a friggin' idiot, but I wanted a cheaper 'runabout' to save the mileage on my other bikes. (Those with the 'OCD factor' will understand me :) ). I first thought about a CBR600F, and then noticed that VTRs were much more affordable. I guess many on here will agree that they are good value.

I'd never had a V-twin before, and that was also appealing. Really liked the visual appeal of the SP1, but didn't want to spend that much, but with the joy I'm getting from this 'basic' model I sort of regret not going the whole hog.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

nigelrb wrote: Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:55 am but with the joy I'm getting from this 'basic' model I sort of regret not going the whole hog.
Nigel, the only thing the SP1 & 2 have in common with the Storm is the VTR letters on the faring. when you ride them back to back you don't even think they are from the same company, even the engine characteristics are different. The SP is a proper HRc track bike, and the firestorm is a budget sports bike, but they can both put a smile on your face, just in very different ways.

if you had bought the SP you would now be looking for another cheap bike to keep the milage off the SP :lol:
AMcQ