Hello from Fetsund, Norway

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
kvandahl

Hello from Fetsund, Norway

Post by kvandahl »

Hi all.

I have a red Firestorm from 1997, that I bought in 2000. I have been riding it every spring,summer and autumn to work in absolute all kinds of weather. I do not ride with ice on the road, but that is the only reason for me not to take the bike. I think the bike is narrow and great for driving in between cars in heavy traffic.

I have not done many mods, except for stiffer Øhlins springs, high mount MIG alu Slip ons, one "clip" bigger main jets (it was running a bit lean), and a Zero gravity windscreen.

At 25.000Km the CCT in the front said goodbye and wrecked one or two valves. Today the bike has about 105.000Km, and I i thinking of doing the CCT fail safe mod, but I have to find the proper measurements for the locking tool (the measurements is said to be in the Honda Workshop guide in the forum, but I can't find it).

Solved trip counter issue:
My trip conter started to zero out every time i turned the ignition of, but after some diagnostics I found that the red main wire between the main fuse and the fuse box with the battery was broken just below the fuse box because of wear against the rear fender. All the wires below the fuse box was filled with gravel and was very dirty.

Unsolved issue when driving in heavy rain:
Every time the sky opens up the bike start to studder and it sounds like it is running on 0.5 cylinders. It is hard to keep the ening running and it has almost no power.

Yesterday I changed the clutch plates and I managed to break one clutch spring bolt, but I managed to "lirk" ut out with a very small flat screwdriver. It was impossible to get a new original one for weeks, so I bought some M6x40mm and cut them to 32mm and resused the washers.

Thanks for a great forum!
And here is my bike:
Zundapp GTS 50
Suzuki ER 50
Kawasaki GT 100
Suzuki GT 380
Honda CB 1100 Super Wobbledoor
Firestorm
KermitLeFrog

Re: Hello from Fetsund, Norway

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Welcome! Go to see you getting so many miles (kilometres) on the bike.

There are plenty of people on here who are much more knowledgeable than me but the cutting out in raid may be due to the front cylinder drain hole being blocked. The front cylinder spark plug recess has a small hole to the front of the cylinder head to drain away any water that collects around the spark plug. It can easily get blocked.

With respect to the locking key there are dimensioned drawings on the forum somewhere. Wicky will probably tell you where. I made this when I did my stopper mod.

You have to hold it in position but it's not too difficult to get the correct dimensions.

Good luck

Kind regards
Ian
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Greetings!
locking tool (the measurements is said to be in the Honda Workshop guide in the forum, but I can't find it).
CCT (Cam Chain Tensioner) Fail Safe Mod. (aka Stopper Mod) > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 16#p221602
1 - The dimensions of the locking tool in the Haynes manual are wrong I think. Make the tang (the business end) 3mm shorter else it won't lock. The proper dimensions are in the Honda workshop guide available on the forum.
The Workshop Knowledgebase > VTR1000F (Superhawk) Firestorm Service Manual PDF

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... dea7cbae2a
Unsolved issue when driving in heavy rain:
Every time the sky opens up the bike start to studder and it sounds like it is running on 0.5 cylinders. It is hard to keep the ening running and it has almost no power.
Check that the drain hole for the spark plug recess is clear on the front of the front cylinder and allows water to exit.

Spark drain hole > http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic ... 60#p352319

After experiencing the same problem as you I also added a good smear of silcone grease around the rubber spark plug cap where it wedges into the cam cover to keep water out.

Another thing that also gets hit by water and road grime is the starter motor terminal under the rubber hood. Keep that lubed up. Plus the rear shock/swingarm linkage bearings can suffer hidden away out of sight & mind. An inspection and fresh grease before they squeakily disintegrate or seize will do wonders.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
grumpyfrog

Post by grumpyfrog »

Welcome along sir.
Tidy looking bike there. Look after those Migs, they are getting very rare. Lovely sound off them and very well made.
What they said 're the wet weather riding issues.

Oh and an early Happy Mid summer.
:beer:
Don't hassle me
I'll get there at some time
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard :thumbup:
Nice looking bike, I too like the Migs 8)

CCT locking tool drawing taken from this link:-
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13751

I realise we all have our own opinions, but for me personally I find it's easier to do the job using one of these,

Chris.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir :thumbup: . nice looking storm and love those migs..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
kvandahl

Post by kvandahl »

Thanks all.

After reading about CCTs on this forum I have decided to go for the Kriegers manual CCT. About driving in the wet, I have to clean the drain hole again and also use silicone to avoid water getting down to the spark plug in the front cylinder as suggested by Wicki. Perhaps the drain hole is made to small for a long drive in really heavy rain.
Zundapp GTS 50
Suzuki ER 50
Kawasaki GT 100
Suzuki GT 380
Honda CB 1100 Super Wobbledoor
Firestorm
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome
AMcQ