98 firestorm, new owner

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
DavoVTR1000

98 firestorm, new owner

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Hi there have been here for a week or so but have only just picked it the firestorm today.

First impressions are very good, rides well and my god it goes.

Hope to learn more about the bike and my tinkering abilities in the coming months.

Also what a weekend to have it, will be riding more than anything else I think this weekend.

Take it steady

Davo

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kev L

Re: 98 firestorm, new owner

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Mate. Looks like it’s on standard CCT’s! :eek2
Be careful
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Thanks. That is one of the first jobs on the list. Although it’s all quiet at the minute. How can you tell? The only technical knowledge I have of the firestorm is what I’ve read on here the last week.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Also missing tank rubbers and a bin...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Have a look on the search facility for manual Camchain tensioners or look on E Bay. You’ll see the difference.
The standard ones can go on for a long time with no issues, particularly if treated as a service item and renewed fairly regularly, but they can let go in an instant especially the front one, and spoil your party very quickly. The only variable is if the previous owner has completed the stopper mod. A piece of bar which stops the tensioner retracting fully if the spring fails and stops the cams skipping teeth.
I would check it sooner rather than later mate.
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Ok will order some this weekend and look up a guide to change them. There is a rubber spacer under the tank but it’s abit lower than what I’ve seen on images of vtrs on google. Not quite sure what you mean by bin? It was a bit of an impulse buy and I got it a good price with 12 months mot. I have a A4 page full of things I want to do/modify. Was also half tempted to paint it yellow??

Kev L

Post by Kev L »

If you view most of the images on here of peoples bikes (although many of them have been lost due to the tight gits at photofuket) they normally have a bin in the background, to the extent where there was a competition to include as many as possible. I think Mac won that one if I remember correctly :thumbup:
Last edited by Kev L on Sat May 05, 2018 12:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Ah right the bin is on the other side of the drive but If you look at the bottom left that bit of board is over the man hole in the drive, parked the car on it and it broke the cover. Waiting for the new cover to arrive to swap it over. I’m working tomorrow so looking forward to the 25 mile ride to work, although I may have to go the long route and make it 40 miles.

AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

Welcome to the forum, enjoy the good weather :thumbup:
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along davo.... but get a bin in the shot or it didnt happen :clap: :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Thanks and I’ll sort a bin picture later.

Rode the bike to work this morning, all fine and very happy with it but just walked past it in the car park and noticed a drop of oil next to the side stand and a small amount of oil on the top of the stand itself. Looks like I’m going to be investigating it later.

mags@port

Post by mags@port »

Welcome bud, I like the silver ones and it looks a clean bike.
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Thanks. The oil leak was just grease or oil off the chain where it had dropped off after riding to work. I think for the first few days the slightest thing I’m going to assume the worse.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome in...no real need for a bin shot it's silver... :wink:

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
DavoVTR1000

Post by DavoVTR1000 »

Mac I think you definitely win the bin in the photo comp. I did look for a yellow storm but couldn’t find one close to me at the price I wanted to pay. Not seen many in silver for sale though. Will be good to get out and meet people from here over the summer. Think I’ve spend best part of 5 hours in total on the storm today, filled it up this morning and had to do it again this afternoon. Can’t get enough of it. Does that ever wear off?