can you polish a turd

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
motojohn

Re: can you polish a turd

Post by motojohn »

Wicky wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 pm Love to see you transform the VTR into something like this Suzuki TL1000R V-twin

or this
If you think my attitude stinks ,you should smell my fingers !!
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

or this
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

I see fabio found the seat on the tank :lol: You will be pleased to know that these have to be one of the easiest bikes to strip down and work on. You could have that engine out and pile of bits on the floor in a day. With something like this it comes down to how much you are willing to spend considering the prices of a complete VTR. A nice blank canvas for a project though.

Welcome to the forum :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

;-)

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

VTRDark wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 1:26 am I see fabio found the seat on the tank :lol: You will be pleased to know that these have to be one of the easiest bikes to strip down and work on. You could have that engine out and pile of bits on the floor in a day. With something like this it comes down to how much you are willing to spend considering the prices of a complete VTR. A nice blank canvas for a project though.

Welcome to the forum :beer:
That is kind of why i bought it it was cheap and it ran and i can do any thing to it , i am looking at race seats and then i can make the subframe to fit , what i don't want is a naff streetfighter look but something that looks like it came from the factory
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

Wicky wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 7:19 am ;-)

thats nasty :lol: :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Once a turd always a turd...

You all know my opinion of 'fighters'...

Burn them all, burn them with fire lots of it !

Trouble is motojohn, throwing loads of cash at it will polish your turd but the more you strip that down the more horrors you'll find & the more ££££'s you'll have to spend...

Good luck...if it was me I'd brake it up & get me money back TBH.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
motojohn

Post by motojohn »

you are right about chucking lots of money at it the first thing is a full service then the build will have a budget that will be quite tight and i have lots of spare parts in my workshop that can be made to fit
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

MacV2 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 am

Trouble is motojohn, throwing loads of cash at it will polish your turd but the more you strip that down the more horrors you'll find & the more ££££'s you'll have to spend...

Same here with fighters....well, the majority of them. Unless they are done properly and to a high spec they are shite and simply cry out smashed up wreck of a bike that has been rebuilt.

The problem with this one is tht it's not even worht breaking, I mean, what's left of any value that there are not allready a dozen parts being sold on eBay. You'd struggle to sell what's left on that.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Wicky wrote: Thu May 03, 2018 10:10 pm Love to see you transform the VTR into something like this Suzuki TL1000R V-twin

This build got me thinking too - Sorry about the highjack motojohn.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Reminds me off Harley engined roadsters before Buell, that had half-a chance of handling twisties.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

motojohn

Post by motojohn »

VTRDark wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 11:15 am
MacV2 wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 8:03 am

Same here with fighters....well, the majority of them. Unless they are done properly and to a high spec they are shite and simply cry out smashed up wreck of a bike that has been rebuilt.

The problem with this one is tht it's not even worht breaking, I mean, what's left of any value that there are not allready a dozen parts being sold on eBay. You'd struggle to sell what's left on that.
thanks for the bleak outlook but i think you are wrong , yes the bike is not worth breaking as the most popular parts on ebay are body work , but as im not going to put it back to standard its not a problem ,its a good project that will not cost me much to do as i can do most of the jobs myself
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Exacty...not worth breaking you have a good canvas to do something good with there. :wink:

Love that silver one with Red seat freeridenick has posted. Reminds me of a 1200 Thruxton.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Fun bit for customisers of naked VTRs is finding a hiding place for the radiators so its V-twinnyness can be appreciated even on a hot day...

freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

The one I posted is an RSV Milie with a Featherbed style frame and the rad is under the seat.
Wicky wrote: Fri May 04, 2018 4:35 pm Fun bit for customisers of naked VTRs is finding a hiding place for the radiators so its V-twinnyness can be appreciated even on a hot day...