new to 4 stroke v twins heeelllooooo

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
tonyhys

Re: new to 4 stroke v twins heeelllooooo

Post by tonyhys »

oh dear lord yes the ride home I had one eye on the temp gauge a finger on the kill switch and my vizier up all the way so I could hear hir better :lol:
tonyhys

Post by tonyhys »

The magic is back :clap: I cant get over the transformation of a new set of cush drive rubbers has made at low speed, I can actually run at some sensible revs without the fear of getting all crossed up :D
I know I should move on to the other forums but one last question before I do, Is the back break normally useless or should I swap the pads and if so what for? (I literally would have to stand on the pedal to lock the back up.)
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Contaminated pads? Standard OEM pads should be fine - Not sure why you'd need to lock the back brake. If coming from a IL4 just change down a gear or two before a corner, and as you ease the clutch out the V twiness should cause a rear lock up...

Check disk for wear/contmination and brake system is fully bled with fresh fluid.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Cadbury64

Post by Cadbury64 »

I agree that any pads should do in the back; I think I have some Goldfren's but I'm not that fussy, I pay a LOT more attention to the front brakes (EBC HH in CBR954 calipers are bliss). My rear brake works perfectly well and will lock up if required, so I'd suggest either contaminated pads (from your oil line leak?) or maybe a stuck piston or caliper. The caliper is on sliding pins and if these are not greased and seized then the brake force can diminish.

I managed to disable my VFR's back brake recently when I got the edge of a pad caught behind the anti-rattle spring.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
tonyhys

Post by tonyhys »

Thanks guys, I will pop the pads and check the piston movement :) Oh and I don't WANT to lock the wheel like a ten year old on a BMX :lol:
fatfreddy000

Post by fatfreddy000 »

tonyhys wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 7:26 am Thanks guys, I will pop the pads and check the piston movement :) Oh and I don't WANT to lock the wheel like a ten year old on a BMX :lol:

Mine also had a terrible rear brake when I purchased it.
The pedal was just solid under my foot and had to be stamped on to do anything.
A set of new pads and cleaning up of the piston solved this with very little effort..
“If all insects on Earth disappeared, within 50 years all life on Earth would end. If all human beings disappeared from the Earth, within 50 years all forms of life would flourish.” Biologist Jonas Salk
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

GDay Ken,

someone parks a BMW SS street style bike nearby at work, tachos goes red at 11,500 !

Wowza.
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

Bugger !

Good that you aren't 18 years old & that you knew what to do/not do...
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"