Life Changes

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Big_Jim59

Life Changes

Post by Big_Jim59 »

So, I dropped out of sight for a while, (again) but thought I would pop in and tell you what has been going on. Yes, I still have my Storm. No, I don't get to ride is as much as i would like. You see I took a new job. I work as the director of marketing for a Harley Davidson dealership.

It's actually pretty fantastic. Harley-Davidson is a very well run company with a lot of great people and good support. They also have one hell of a customer support program. They know what and how I ride and I take a bit of good natured ribbing but there are a surprising number of people that ride both cruisers and sport bikes.

It's great to be working again at a real job after so many years. It's also fantastic to be working with and around motorcycle people.

Big Jim
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Cadbury64

Re: Life Changes

Post by Cadbury64 »

Good for you Jim. I imagine marketing is a very big deal for H-D as their brand value is huge.
2017 MT-10SP, 2019 Vespa Primavera 150
mags@port

Post by mags@port »

All those bikes, must be tempting just to jump on a HD and go for a blast. Sounds great but would imagine very hard work with added pressure. Enjoy it and organise a track day for HD employees :D
Break it, mend it, mod it, thrash it. If it's made then it's bettered by beer and goggles. Me bikes had Kwak ZZR, Suzuki TL1000s, Yama R1, Aprilia RSV. Now have VTR, Honda CB750 hand built brat/trickster, Yama XS750 and wee old Vespa.
Stephan

Post by Stephan »

congratz Jim, seems like fantastic job :)
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

What a great job Jim.Congrats and enjoy.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
VTRDark

Post by VTRDark »

Nic one Jim :thumbup: Harley's may not be the best built bikes in the world and not your style but one thing's for sure they are great biking community that stick together like family. Who know's maybe you will end up with a Harley to go along side the VTR and VFR. Lets face they would be extremly comfortble and easy to pack lots on for those longer touring trips.
==============================Enter the Darkside
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Let us know when the H-D LiveWire arrives and what's it like to ride.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/31/1695 ... cycle-2019
Last edited by Wicky on Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Good to see you back Jim.

You've had a bit of a bad year or so what with one thing and another.

I'm sorry but it's time for my Harley joke... Feel free to share it at the shop... :wink:

Did you know that 95% of harleys ever built are still on the road ?

The other 5% made it home...

Ba Boom Tish..I fank yew..I'm here all week.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

:lol: the old ones are the best Mac :thumbup:

Good to hear from you again Jim :thumbup:
I'm pleased to hear you have managed to find a job that you are happy with by the sounds of it :clap:
I hope it all goes well for you,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

good news jimbob.. all those tractors to look at each day :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome back Jim ... sounds like a positive change so far
AMcQ
KermitLeFrog

Post by KermitLeFrog »

Good for you!

I haven't ridden a Harley for years (decades...) but I'm lead to believe they have improved no end as the one I rode was a little lacking in the handling and braking departments. Mind you, there are plenty of YouTube videos out there of Harleys eating jap sportsbikes off the line. Fun to watch.

I'd be very interested to hear of how you go about marketing the brand. It could be a really interesting thing to be involved with,

Kind regards
Ian

ps. I've had a few life changes myself recently. They can be a good thing.
"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I squandered" (George Best, RIP)
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

Wicky wrote: Sat Mar 31, 2018 2:44 pm Let us know when the H-D LiveWire arrives and what's it like to ride.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/31/1695 ... cycle-2019
It's funny you should say that but I have a serious lust for a truly good electric bike. I worked for a Zero dealer and got to ride them and I will tell you that an electric bike is serious fun. If they ever get the charging cycle faster and the range a little more they will be a contender for a huge portion of the sporting/commuter market.
Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

They know I like sport or sport touring bikes. They refer to my VFR800 as a "crotch rocket" not realizing that in my world it is actually a gentleman's touring mount. I rode it to work and parked it in the back. They knew it belong to someone that worked there but they couldn't figure out who. I strolled out and mounted up and they were shocked. "Your Old" they said! I got a good laugh out of that.

Below is a video of me riding a Sportster around the block. The video was cut for time because I was actually fumbling with the key and starter button. The starter and the hazard button are on the same side of the switch and you can see that I have set off the hazard lights as I pull away.

https://www.facebook.com/TexomaHarley/v ... 021379128/

A buddy of mine says I would like the Ogre Shrek. When i watch the video I think he is right! (My back hurt that day.)

By the way, it's really different than what we are used to. It has torque like a freight train. It really didn't want to rev past 4K and you don't need to. It has pistons like coffee cans and a long stroke. I can see how that can become addictive.
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I rode a 2018 Street Glide, on the cart paths of a local golf club with their permission. We sponsored a Hole-In_one contest and the HD was the grand prize. No one won the prize. It was quite an experience as the Street Glide is not my usual type of ride.