Hello all - newbie

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Vtr punisher

Re: Hello all - newbie

Post by Vtr punisher »

My battery stopped charging so I changed the generator windings for a new set, all was great for a couple hundred miles then my rectifier melted, I sent the new generator windings back to manufacturer as faulty and they sent a new set but, the same thing happened. So I got out my digital multimeter and started testing and probing everything electrical as per the workshop manual, everything checked out . But my rectifier was still getting red hot after only a few minutes of the bike running, I eventually decided to take a direct live feed from the battery to the rectifier, also fitting a 40amp fuse into the live, also I took a direct negative feed from battery to the rectifier, this approach cuts out the way too long wiring loom from the solenoid to the rectifier hence reducing the load on the rectifier, I also cut the spade connectors out of the block connector at the rectifier so I could get a better connection to the connection points, I then cleaned off all the paint on the rectifier mounting plate so that I had a good earth between the two surfaces, this also helped the frame to be a semi conductor so that any heat build up can dissipate more easily and lastly I swapped the oem rectifier which is a shunt system which is only rated to 20amps with a mosfet rectifier rated to 60amps, the mosfet opens and closes the circuits much quicker vastly reducing the heat build up within the rectifier, now my bike runs all day and there is no heat build up at the rectifier at all