Hi from Somerset.

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
DazB

Hi from Somerset.

Post by DazB »

Hello. New to the forum and new to the VTR.

I've been riding for 15 years, ish! In that time I've had a number of CRR600s and a Aprilia Falco, and RSV-r (the real one with Oz wheels Ohlins Suspension and carbon bits) I also had a ZZ600, but less about that the better!

I love me V-twins but always had a inline 4 for winter. I gave up bikes 4 years back after the death of my brother who was the one responsible for my love of bikes. The biker in me died for a bit, but I decided in October to sell the car and go back to bikes full time! Long story short, I wanted an all year bike with a V-twin and the VTR1000 was the one I went for.

I've a 1999 VTR in Silver, standard apart from cosmetic, screen, hugger... So far I'm loving it, but its not been without its downers. It's not as quick as the RSV or even the Falco! The VTR goes round corners well, but not really had the weather to push it yet. I have found it a bit soft of the front, but I know that from what Ive read before I bought it. The tank is studio small, but again I know that. The odd thing I soon noticed is a lazy left indicator when its cold! Need to sort that somehow if anyone has an idea?

I'm kinda doing everything on a budget so I'll be looking to maintain her myself, so I'll be looking for advice for sure. ;)

I've done a number of trackdays but I wouldn't call myself quick. My riding style; I like to have fun, and sometime that's speeding a little, but I like to think I'm a considerate rider and a true believer in a time and a place. I also ride like every car wants to kill me, so I try to be as safe as I can. I learnt the hard way and Ive had more off's than I want to admit. Ive done my bit for biker safety too, in the mid and late 00's I co-founded a campaign (KillSpills) to highlight the danger of diesel spills. We did some good work, but maybe more in another post. But if you didn't already know, diesel spills kill, avoid diesel on the roads if you can, you might smell it and you can see it, in the rain it'll look like a rainbowie oily puddle. Found mostly on roundabouts and corners.

Anyway! Im going on a bit. :wtf:

Sorry if it reads like a 12 year old, thats my reading age, as Im dyslecix! So, grammer police please cut be some slack. :biggrin

Daz :cool2
MacV2

Re: Hi from Somerset.

Post by MacV2 »

Welcome in.

Lazy blinker is either the switch needing cleaning or the relay playing up.

Get yourself some contact cleaner open up the switch & give it a blast.

There is a Storm get together in Devon in June... Have a look here... viewtopic.php?f=14&t=41803#p455416
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
DazB

Post by DazB »

Thanks MacV2

Im going to add that job to my list this weekend, thanks. Its due to get cold next week so would be nice to have a quicker starting blinker and not have to guess the timing.

Ta for the heads-up on meet, I'll check it out.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir good to see you found a storm... if it has standard cans ditch those, that will help it breath a little easier.... :D

and we all love pictures of storms..

heavier oil and springs help the forks, as for doing it on a budget, if the bits you need arnt on here somebody will know how to get there hands on what you need..
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the forum Daz. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Daz :thumbup: Nice intro :)

Chris.
DazB

Post by DazB »

fabiostar wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 7:24 pm welcome along sir good to see you found a storm... if it has standard cans ditch those, that will help it breath a little easier.... :D

and we all love pictures of storms..

heavier oil and springs help the forks, as for doing it on a budget, if the bits you need arnt on here somebody will know how to get there hands on what you need..
Thanks fabiostar.

Cans are first on my mod list after some braded hoses, new chain and sprokes, service stuff and some new boots. So yeah, maybe not fisrt on the list! :oops:

I can live with the forks for a bit.

And I get some pic of the Storm up when im on my own computer and not the womans laptop.

Thanks for the welcome. :)
DazB

Post by DazB »

alanfjones1411 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:21 pm Hello and welcome to the forum Daz. :wave: :thumbup:
Thanks chap
sirch345 wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:22 pm Welcome aboard Daz :thumbup: Nice intro :)

Chris.
Thanks dude
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the club.

you are wise to avoid rushing into a weekend away with a bunch of strange blokes you met on the internet ... some things can never be unseen [like marty in his stained undercrackers]
AMcQ
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

AMCQ46 wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:25 pm welcome to the club.

you are wise to avoid rushing into a weekend away with a bunch of strange blokes you met on the internet ... some things can never be unseen [like marty in his stained undercrackers]
They weren't stained until you arrived, as I recall........but it was the nipple tassels that upset me most......
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
exTRX850

Post by exTRX850 »

a workmate came off his scooter (slowly) coz of diesel, a nice reminder - thanks.
as seen on a low doorway lintel a long time ago, far, far away - "be kind to your mind"
DazB

Post by DazB »

exTRX850 wrote:a workmate came off his scooter (slowly) coz of diesel, a nice reminder - thanks.
Sorry to hear about your bud, I hope he/she’s ok? Diesel spills are not so bad now days but you still get them. Always good to look out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

DazB wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:55 pm I've done a number of trackdays but I wouldn't call myself quick. My riding style; I like to have fun, and sometime that's speeding a little, but I like to think I'm a considerate rider and a true believer in a time and a place. I also ride like every car wants to kill me, so I try to be as safe as I can. I learnt the hard way and Ive had more off's than I want to admit. Ive done my bit for biker safety too, in the mid and late 00's I co-founded a campaign (KillSpills) to highlight the danger of diesel spills. We did some good work, but maybe more in another post. But if you didn't already know, diesel spills kill, avoid diesel on the roads if you can, you might smell it and you can see it, in the rain it'll look like a rainbowie oily puddle. Found mostly on roundabouts and corners.

Daz :cool2
Daz, just to add, thanks for pointing that out about the diesel, not everyone may know about it,

Chris.
DazB

Post by DazB »

Always happy to bang on about diesel spills.

lol just found an old youtube from back in 06 on one of our rally. The good old days. :biggrin
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Nice one :thumbup:

Chris.