New to the forum

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
allanparanihi

New to the forum

Post by allanparanihi »

Hi folks I've joined the forum because i enjoy the info you get here and I need your help. I have the 1998 model storm and my ride it pinging while accelerating from standing start, 1st gear 2nd gear and when at low rev's pulling away, also decelerating. What changes have taken place? well i took the rubber inlet manifolds out and filed back the metal plate in the middle of manifolds flush with the rubber. This is a 1998 model so this plate also known as a restrictor plate in the late model storms is minimal size in my bike, it was less than 2 mm so I didn't file much out. But I also know that these bikes or my bike is very sensitive to the slightest change in anything. My understanding is that the ignition timing cannot be adjusted the top end power is as it should be awesome, mid and low power is also fine except for the valve pinging. Ive adjusted my fuel/air mixture up and down from it's sweet spot and still pings. The TPS is correct at 500 ohms, and i've got brand new plugs. I do realize i have to check the ignition timing, pulse generator, ICM etc this weekend coming but I was hoping some one has had this problem or have dealt with this pinging situation. Its never done this before only happened after i adjusted the manifold inlet track and I'm starting to wonder if I've changed the high/low pressure ratio's regarding cylinder compression's plus I'm trying to track down another set of stock inlet manifold rubbers to refit and test. Any ideas greatly appreciated.
fabiostar

Re: New to the forum

Post by fabiostar »

welcome to the forum Allan.. :D ...it wont help bit your new flywheel should be halfway to you by the time you read this :thumbup: :thumbup: .

pinging? as in what we would call pinking over here? what mains and pilot are you using atm in the carbs?

Rob
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hell0 Allan and welcome to the forum.No doubt some one will be along with a suggestion or two soon. :wave:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Allan :thumbup:

If it is pinking (as Fabio mentions above) trying a higer octance fuel could stop it or reduce it, at least you would then know for sure it was that,

Chris.
allanparanihi

Post by allanparanihi »

Yes sorry pinking and I am trying a high octane today. The jets are 48 pilots and 180 182 mains rob but remember this problem has only just started. Cheers everyone for the welcome.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Removing the metal restrictors makes little difference, and shouldn't have had any effect on detonation.
Pinking (detonation) is caused by a lean mixture, over advanced ignition or too high cylinder compression.

When you put the carbs back, did you make sure they were properly seated, with no leaks?

As regards timing, if there was a problem with ignition advance (ecu, tps, ignition sensor etc) it would stay retarded- and that's the opposite of the over advance that can cause pinking, so that's not the problem.

You can't affect cylinder compression unless you take the heads off, so that's out, too.

What do the plugs look like?
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

By the way, the restrictors are there to increase gas flow speed in the inlets to try to reduce or eradicate the carb cough problem, where the incoming mixture ignites before the intake is complete due to valve overlap.

In practice they aren't very effective, a longer and smaller diameter inlet tract would have helped, as the gas would flow quicker but there isn't room for that in the design.

In practice there's no noticeable benefit to removing them, I found.
allanparanihi

Post by allanparanihi »

Awesome info thank you. As far as I can see and feel the manifols look tight and right but maybe they're not maybe there's a leak there I'll recheck maybe seal with something. The plugs are looking good no uneven burn pattern. Yes your right it does make sense what you posted thanks I'll look at tonight or tomorrow morning.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

allan start it up and when its warm and ticking over spray some easy start in around the inlet stubbs and if the revs rise its an airleak..worth a go
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

fabiostar wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:04 pm allan start it up and when its warm and ticking over spray some easy start in around the inlet stubbs and if the revs rise its an airleak..worth a go
Be careful, it's flammable........
allanparanihi

Post by allanparanihi »

Boom! pinking gone :cool2 took it apart and reset the manifolds, cheers folks for the help, tony.mon. So what I'll do is buy a new set from somewhere.
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

allanparanihi wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:14 pm Boom! pinking gone :cool2 took it apart and reset the manifolds, cheers folks for the help, tony.mon. So what I'll do is buy a new set from somewhere.
:clap: glad you've found the culprit, well done :thumbup:

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

happy days thats her sorted then? :clap:
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

I love an easy fix.

You need to push down very had to seat the carbs properly, don't use sealant on the manifold stubs, but a smear of oil or washing up liquid helps, and wiggle them back and forth sideways as you lean on them.
You should feel a small "thunk" as the rear one seats if you start with the front one.
allanparanihi

Post by allanparanihi »

Hi yeah all sorted then, I'll try and buy a pair of new rubbers soon just waiting for the flywheel Rob. Got a new clutch kit I've had for sometime might time that in with the flywheel fitting. What about the water pump if I go in there do you need to service it? Can you service it cheers.