Hello

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Gothrick
Location: Gods own - Yorkshire (well just over the border really in North Notts)

Hello

Post by Gothrick »

Just saying hello to all you Firestormers.
Brilliant site and so full of useful information which helped me no end in choosing my first VTR which I pick up in two days time. It's a yellow 02 low mileage (less than 4K) machine, largely standard but with the all important manual CCT's fitted. Can't wait!
Hoping to do all my own maintenance and problem solving using the valuable hints and tips posted here by such a fine bunch of experienced owners and contributors.
Thanks guys,
Rick
Kev L

Re: Hello

Post by Kev L »

Welcome to the club Rick. Hope you gel with the VTR, they really are a great buy
:thumbup:
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
lloydie

Post by lloydie »

Yellow !!! I wouldn’t bother
hello and welcome
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along.. fastest colour i see :D .. keep the oil changed and just ride away at it.....oh and pictures,we like pretty pictures round these parts :mrgreen:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Rick :thumbup:
A nice low mileage Storm you've found yourself :)

Chris.
tony.mon

Post by tony.mon »

Hi.
You can double the mileage before Christmas, no trouble....
It's not falling off, it's an upgrade opportunity.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello & welcome to the forum.Shame about the colour. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
baycat

Post by baycat »

welcome to the forum Rick
Gothrick
Location: Gods own - Yorkshire (well just over the border really in North Notts)

Post by Gothrick »

Thanks guys, could have been worse..............dare I say.............teal.
freeridenick

Post by freeridenick »

Welcome Rick.

I don't know about excellent advice on here. All I've been told is to upgrade it!
Watty

Post by Watty »

Gothrick wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 8:22 pm Thanks guys, could have been worse..............dare I say.............teal.
WTF how very dare you :Argue 1: . Sadly she's not with me :(
Welcome aboard Sir :thumbup:
SH#T HAPPENS!!!!!!!!
Gothrick

Post by Gothrick »

Well, collected the beast and on closer inspection now have a list of jobs to do. What's the saying "mileage isn't always an indicator of condition". With only 3600 miles on it over 15 years one would expect it to be in near perfect condition. Sadly, less than ideal storage conditions and cleaning discipline has left its mark. So things to look at are: -
Side stand switch inoperative
Front r/h indicator stalk broken
Rear tyre condition?
Crack to inner fairing near indicator mount
Brake/clutch fluids dark brown
Consider replacing coolant and air filter
Twist grip rubber loose
Starter motor body badly corroded
Bits on rear subframe corroded
Idling way too fast at 1700rpm
Needs a bloody good clean, some TLC and to be ridden

Nothing major really. On the plus side it does have manual CCT's fitted and was recommissioned prior to sale with carbs ultrasonically cleaned, new front tyre, oil and filter and 12 months MOT. Also double bubble screen, Rentec grab rail and datatool alarm (which I can't stand) fitted, seller also chucked in Haynes manual and paddock stand. Think I'll add a hugger and fenda extenda and might ditch the grab rail and look for a seat cowl. Instead of replacing front indicator stalk the flush ones look interesting.

Having said all that lets get down to what it's all about. The bike joins a stable of Hypersports ZZR 1400, crazy Street Tiple 675 and good all rounder VFR 800 (non vtec) and I've already found the V Twin vibe, handling and overall character of the Storm incredibly intoxicating. It's an absolute hoot!

Sorry if I've bored your t**s off and thanks for looking. Would appreciate any comments or tips on proposed jobs/changes.
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

4k miles is seriously low mileage. Good buy. Appreciate there are some tlc issues but once they are sorted I am sure you will be happy. Welcome to the forum
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

welcome to the club, sometimes low mileage bike is not as good as a bike from an OCD owner that does high mileage.

from your list of Jobs:

Side stand switch inoperative - check wiring is plugged in, otherwise replace
Front r/h indicator stalk broken - good chance to change to a newer looking Indicator syle
Rear tyre condition? - if its old then bin it as a priority, have a look at the date code on the sidewall
Crack to inner fairing near indicator mount
Brake/clutch fluids dark brown - yes bleed them through with clean fresh fluid. the front calipers might also benefit from a strip and clean on the pistons
Consider replacing coolant and air filter - at this age the coolant should need be replaced, the airfilter should be visual inspected and then change depending on what you see
Twist grip rubber loose - that is dangerous, either glue and lockwire back on for the std look, or go to renthals
Starter motor body badly corroded - the outside will clean, but it is important to lift the rubber boot and look at the condition of the wiring terminal, if it is bad then you will lose starter performance.
Bits on rear subframe corroded - taking it off to blast and paint is a bit of a mission, but the result will be worth it
Idling way too fast at 1700rpm - the screw is between the cylinders and you acess it from the left side as you sit on the bike.
Needs a bloody good clean, some TLC and to be ridden - yes ride it ;)

also suggest you strip and lube the rear shock linkage and check the Rectifier as per the sticky topics in the workshop knowledge base
AMcQ
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Like you say, there's nothing major there to be worrying about. If a Firestorm/Superhawk falls over with front standard indicators fitted, it's usually the case it breaks the inner panel. As you're thinking, I fitted flush mounts to mind to avoid that happening in the case of a tumble,

Chris.