New Storm owner

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Commando77

New Storm owner

Post by Commando77 »

Hi Gents, well I was a new owner from sat to today when I returned the bike. Really nice early STD machine (and red) but with v5c issues and an engine change not recorded on the book. Not the low mileage example I thought I'd bought. Currently have an old Commando which needs company and is missing it's new short term red friend so if there's a low mileage stock bike out there I have the cash, Hants, Surrey, Berks etc. Still at least I know at my age I can still get my leg over! Really enjoyed the 120 miles we did together. Seriously looking, cheers. Keith
podman

Re: New Storm owner

Post by podman »

Id imagine you was very shocked and disappointed when you found that out, at least you managed to return it without hassle by the sound of it and know for certain you need another storm in your life!

Keep an open mind as to the mileage, there all getting on in years and a well maintained, cherished machine can be a better buy than something with lower mileage, my own bike has done around 8,000 miles but I saw a storm today with 23,000 miles on it and it was in far better condition than mine...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Hello and welcome to the fun house. If you get a standard one. It won't stay standard for long. :wave: :thumbup:
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Thanks guys, yep it was a complete pi**er. Not sure what the owner can do since he bought it from a dealer like that. I used to modify everything but now I like std. though the cans are a bit quiet. The Norton is earsplitting after 30 mins when moving along and it gets tiring even with earplugs.
Cheers, I'm sure I'll have questions if I can't find the answers here though it looks like you've got most issues covered.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Probably had a replacement engine fitted to replace original engine due to self-destructed auto tensioners...
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
Big_Jim59

Post by Big_Jim59 »

I rebuilt my engine using the case and internals of a different engine. The crank and the bearing races were scored and rather than take a change I negotiated a set of internals plus the pistons, rods and oil pump from an ebay seller. My bike has 32,000 but the engine is fresh.

BTW the Storm makes a prefect companion to the Commando. They both have that low end torque but you can ride the Storm hard and not break bolts!

I have since sold it on but that's my old Command with my Viffer.

Motorcycling is a tool with which you can accomplish something meaningful in your life. It is an art." Theresa Wallach
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Now i read that honda engine nos never match the vin. Wish id researched better. Still, the vin/docs "error" might have taken some sorting.
Only broken one commando engine. Rebuild in 02 now on 44k miles.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along sir.. any pics of the commando?
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Keith :thumbup:

Chris.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Thanks for the welcomes. Commando has been all colours from yellow thru black and a 70's White, red & blue John Player scheme. Currently green and was a cafe racer style (as avatar)since 2007 which I've returned to std this yr. She gets well used, runs well, doesn't leak but is hard work over 80 and probably not as clean as the pic shows, more of a 5 footer!
Attachments
DSCF1719.JPG
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

very nice. but best of all a bike that gets used :clap:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

At least you still have your Commando after handing back the Firestorm, and very clean and tidy one too by the looks of it, especially when you click on the photo and see it in full size 8)

Good luck in finding the right bike,

Chris.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Well i found another red one, not as low mileage but a late model and it seems ok, a bit whirry but rides and goes well. Im assuming the owner wasnt on here as he didnt seem to know the cct issue. I will be doing these and asking if the ebay "trackstar" specials are worth buying. I read that a forum member was doing them but those were old threads. Cheers.
Commando77

Post by Commando77 »

Just seen a recent entry after i posted...answers my second question.
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Commando77 wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:11 am Well i found another red one, not as low mileage but a late model and it seems ok, a bit whirry but rides and goes well. Im assuming the owner wasnt on here as he didnt seem to know the cct issue. I will be doing these and asking if the ebay "trackstar" specials are worth buying. I read that a forum member was doing them but those were old threads. Cheers.
Bazza is your man he does moddifeid std ones at a very good price. He will recycle your old ones as well, as long as you send them to him...

I'll PM him for you.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...