Hi from new member! Advice before buying Firestorm please!!

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
MikeTheKnight

Hi from new member! Advice before buying Firestorm please!!

Post by MikeTheKnight »

Hi all,
Thanks for accepting me in your forum!

I realy want a Firestorm. I have had a variety of 600cc and 1000cc inline 4s, a 650 parallell twin and a 675 triple but I have never had a big V-twin. I reckon its everything I want in a bike right now!

Anyways...

I know the Firestorm was updated in 2001, but I have seen some bikes that are registered 2002 but are still the earlier spec. I guess they were just late registered? I have been in touch with one seller of a 2002 reg bike who says it has the larger fuel tank, but not the digi clocks. I havn't seen the bike in person, or pics of the dash but that doesn't sound right. So first question is did Honda ever make the bike a half-way house of the 2 specs? or does the lack of digi clocks (updated dash) mean its definately the older spec?

Secondly, when i'm looking at bikes, how can I tell if the cam chain tensioner is original, or been replaced with the manual one?

Thanks in advance
VTRDark

Re: Hi from new member! Advice before buying Firestorm please!!

Post by VTRDark »

Sounds to me like a late registered made to look like a later one. The 19l tank is not much good without the later clocks as you want the digital fuel gauge with a 19l tank otherwise it will have a modified, bent and possibly inaccurate fuel tank sender unit from a 16l tank or another bike for when the level drops. The later 19l Tank has a float that moves up and down with the level of fuel. No there was no middle ground VTR.

Welcome to the forum :beer:
==============================Enter the Darkside
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

What VTRDARK said

If the 19l is a requirement for you then wait for a proper one.

However it is only 3 litres. Not going to make a huge difference. There is no denying it is a petrol hungry bike but it is magnificent. Personally I would spend my budget on a decent model regardless of the tank size.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Shauned71

Post by Shauned71 »

Heya :wave: Welcome to the forums :thumbup:

Cam chain tensioners.. look at pic below... top is manual bottom is auto. There can be subtle differences to the manuals but the auto's all look the same.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20131201/7a8ejaze.jpg

No Firestorm has a true digital clock unless it's after market.. both early and late models have analogue speedo/rev gauges and both have a digital display of sorts.

Early model clocks - http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/8 ... 8ra-01.jpg

Late model clocks - http://www.elfshot.com/vtr/images/dash.jpg
VTRDark wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:15 am The 19l tank is not much good without the later clocks as you want the digital fuel gauge with a 19l tank otherwise it will have a modified, bent and possibly inaccurate fuel tank sender unit from a 16l tank or another bike for when the level drops.
Just to clarify.. the above^ is not an issue. If it was an older bike with a later tank... it's not exactly hard to work out what your reserve is and to adjust it if needed.
MikeTheKnight

Post by MikeTheKnight »

Shauned71 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:24 am Heya :wave: Welcome to the forums :thumbup:

Cam chain tensioners.. look at pic below... top is manual bottom is auto. There can be subtle differences to the manuals but the auto's all look the same.

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20131201/7a8ejaze.jpg

No Firestorm has a true digital clock unless it's after market.. both early and late models have analogue speedo/rev gauges and both have a digital display of sorts.

Early model clocks - http://images.mcn.bauercdn.com/upload/8 ... 8ra-01.jpg

Late model clocks - http://www.elfshot.com/vtr/images/dash.jpg
Thanks! forgive me for being mechanically naive, is it possible to see the CCT on the bike, and where do i look? Just so i know if the auto has been replaced when i buy the bike.

many thanks
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Unless its a std one thats been converted...

Which looks like this...

https://tse2.mm.bing.net/th?id=OIP.t4jz ... Co&pid=Api

Right hand side of the bike, the lower part of the rear cylinder you will find the CCT

Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Yes look at the right side above the footpeg / swinger pivot at the back of the rear pot. The front one is hidden by the right hand side frame rail / fuel tank.

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

The other thing worth considering is if your not 100% sure about a bike you like/would consider purchasing is to have someone from here help at a veiwing...

Of course you'll have to let us know where abouts you live for someone local to step forward to help.

Most will work for beer money or a cup of tea/coffee but expect biscuits to be requested...Some will only work for sexual favours so make sure you have lube at hand... :lol: :lol:
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

MacV2 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 10:11 am The other thing worth considering is if your not 100% sure about a bike you like/would consider purchasing is to have someone from here help at a veiwing...

Of course you'll have to let us know where abouts you live for someone local to step forward to help.

Most will work for beer money or a cup of tea/coffee but expect biscuits to be requested...Some will only work for sexual favours so make sure you have lube at hand... :lol: :lol:
It's always handy to know where you are located.The manual tensioners usually have a bolt poking out with a lock nut.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MikeTheKnight

Post by MikeTheKnight »

Thanks all for the info and advice - all really useful, especially the lube...... :lol:
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

good luck finding a bike fella, look for condition, has it been well cared for, just because it's shiny doesn't mean it's a good bike, I've been caught out by that myself.
check the bikes mot history online, it costs nothing. it's a bonus if its had the cct's changed to manuals.
late model bikes cost a little more. and there's plenty of bikes out there, prices have been on the up for a while now, but you can still find the odd bargain, and £1750 should buy you a very decent bike.... :thumbup:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

Welcome aboard Mike :thumbup:

I think most things have been covered so I can't really add to that.
Taking someone with you who does know about bikes is a good suggestion.

Good luck with your search,

Chris.
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

welcome along mike. happy hunting. as with any bike try to figure out if the owner is a numb nuts or not... dont be to worried about the miles on storms. they do get better with age.
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I wouldn't worry about fuel capacity,as said it's only 3 litres.I recently got 127 miles from fuel light to fuel light,but i was sticking to speed limits and taking it steady.A member of this forum currently has a very nice bike for sale at the moment on ebay item number 263252372410. Take a look.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN