Potential VTR owner here looking for advice

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Jerakeen

Potential VTR owner here looking for advice

Post by Jerakeen »

Hi,

I'm Colin and I'm planning to get a bike in the next couple of months.

I have narrowed my choices down to two bikes.

The bike is going to be mainly used for commuting and a bit of fun as well so my sensible option is a Kawa GPZ500 and my "OohIwantoneofthose" choice is the VTR.

Both very different bikes I know, the GPZ is a consummate commuter bike but I'm leaning towards the VTR. I've always wanted one but I don't know how well it'll deal with traffic. Also I'm going to have to find someone prepared to let me sit on their pride and joy and see if the riding position is one I can cope with on longer runs. I used to have an RF900 which was great up to about 50 miles but much more than that had my knees seizing up.

I'll be posting some questions which I hope the experts on here will be able to help me with.
Murv

Re: Potential VTR owner here looking for advice

Post by Murv »

I use mine for commuting.

Not ideal... to small a tank range, thirsty, a bit lumpy in traffic, can be a bit too torquey on tight, greasy roundabouts when negotiating dozy car drivers.

Had a GPZ600 a few Years ago for commuting... economical, easy to ride, enough power... but boring as hell.

I can't honestly day that the 'storm is a great commuter, personally, but I wouldn't have anything else. Just that noise, and the grunt makes it worthwhile and I find it a comfortable bike. certainly a lot better than the R1 that went before it, it's all relative :lol:
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

A storm makes an ideal do it all bike...

I have 4 at the mo...One I use for commuting a 35mile trip 5days a week so 350 miles per week..(when i'm at work that is before anyone point's out the fact I've been off work most of this year... :lol: :lol: )

Fill it up every 3rd trip ride it in a sensible manor i.e. ride like a granny, avoid heavy acceleration & braking milage can be quite good...I don't ride particulary sensible but only get the RLOD sometimes on the way out in the morning when I know I'm going to fill it up anyway...

As for the ride things can be done to improve things...std seats are a bit skinny on the padding, foam is not very dense so commpresses easily so in effect your sitting on a thinly padded base...Easy fix get it re padded ...From £50 for a pro to do it, about £20 if you do it yourself...

The other big bug bear with them is the comfort on the wrists...Now this is hightend somewhat in the stop start of commuting. My commuter hack is in std trim & I dont have a particular problem with it but there are lots of options out there...Most do require slightly cutting the fairing & longer cables & brakelines may be required on others...

However as std the bike is very narrow so Ideal for splitting traffic, start adding wider bars & wider mirrors ( another bug bear for some mainly a veiw of your elbows...again not a huge issue that I've had...) & you negate one of the bikes traits that make a good commuter...

Luggage racks & top boxes are available if you so inclined...

Now it's been a long time since I had a go on a Gpz 500...I do remember them being a bit lumpy at tick over fairly smoothe when on the move but overal a bit ...mehhh boring really...

I doubt very much that a Gpz will have anywhere near the finish of a Storm, wheel paint on Kwaks is notoriously thin...

Both the Storm & the Gpz wre built at a price the Gpz shows it more IMO.

There are plenty of us out there that do big milage on Storms...For me Kent to Devon or Wales easy on a Storm. Not sure I'd be so keen to do it on a Gpz500.

What you need to do is let us know wherebouts you live...If your anywhere near Kent you'd be welcome to come & try one of mine for size.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Jerakeen

Post by Jerakeen »

Thanks for your input guys.
I currently live in Peterborough but I'm moving to Gosport in the next couple of months (once the solicitors get their act together) so Kent isn't particularly close either way :(

It's the riding position that mainly worries me. I'm not as flexible as I used to be.

Incidentally the GPZ isn't as boring as you might think. I've had a couple of them over the years and tbh there's not much that can leave you behind when you get the bit between your teeth. I had a pair of Renegade cans on my last one and the sound was glorious.

But I've had those. I really think I want something different and the VTR is a bike I've wanted ever since they came out. I'm not going to be getting anything until after I've moved so I've got plenty of time to find one to sit on.
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

convert to flat bars and it is a huge difference in comfort, then easy to work round town..... Sorted
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

put it another way..buy the GPZ and a few months down the line you will be saying,god i wish id bought the VTR now..

buy the VTR and a few months down the line you will say,whats a GPZ ??? :lol:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
sirch345
Site Admin

Post by sirch345 »

AMCQ46 wrote: Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:01 pm convert to flat bars and it is a huge difference in comfort, then easy to work round town..... Sorted
That's what I was thinking :)

All I can really add is, there's a massive difference between the two bikes you are considering, you've only got to look up the spec's.

It comes down to your personal choice IMHO, probably not a lot of help :eh:

Good luck with whichever bike you end up with,

Chris.

PS. Welcome aboard Colin :thumbup:
Kev L

Post by Kev L »

Might want to have a look at this one, and it's the best colour! -

Honda VTR Firestorm 2004 F2 https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112559193489
Carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero
F3, 954 USD front, K Tech springs, Braced swinger, Penske shock, Six spoke Mockesini wheels, Harris rearsets, QaT, Flywheel diet!, A&L stacks, stick coils, K&N, FP Ti jets, lashings of Ti & CF
agentpineapple

Post by agentpineapple »

Kev L wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 10:33 am Might want to have a look at this one, and it's the best colour! -

Honda VTR Firestorm 2004 F2 https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/112559193489
shame they cut the fairings for the high bars tho. :(
oh and it needs to be yellow..... :wink:
HEY YOU GUYS!!!!!!
podman

Post by podman »

As worthy as a GPZ500 is, I dont think it would hold your interest that long and you'd be looking to pass it on within a limited amount of time perhaps, a Storm would hold your interest that bit longer and be a more engaging long term proposition , what is comfortable or not is down to the individual , there's plenty of storms around for sale, so pop to a dealer and blag a test ride.