Speedo stopped working

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
minirolls

Speedo stopped working

Post by minirolls »

Hi peeps, just signed up so hi to you all. New to this so bare with me.
So I've just bought a W reg VTR1000 really good nick only 21,000 miles, soooo happy with it. Anyway only shortly after buying it I noticed a fault in the speedo. If I accelerated slowly it was fine but if I accelerated hard the speedo would drop considerably for a moment then catch up and read the correct speed.Thought it might be a loose connection but couldn't find one. This went on for a couple of rides then I noticed it was simply stuck on zero and has not moved since. Read loads of blogs, Tried continuity tests on all the wires, checked voltages going into the clocks, all seemed fine. 5V going into the speedo. I've got an old Haines manual and it mentioned a test. I put the bike on an axle stand switched on and measured the voltage going into the speedo whilst spinning the back wheel, it read 5V but did not fluctuate from 0 to 5V so it concluded it must be the speedo that was at fault. Bought a replacement instrument panel from ebay, popped it on and you guessed it. The speedo was still not moving. So do I conclude it must be a faulty speed sensor or am I missing something. Is there a quick test to find out if it is faulty or will I have to buy one and find out?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards
Min
Wicky

Re: Speedo stopped working

Post by Wicky »

check / replace the speedo sensor cable - from back of engine near to CCT and plugs into the loom by rear brake nr battery.

Expensive new (£75ish) but a secondhand one quite cheap here

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-VTR1000 ... 2556717193
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
StuartWags

Post by StuartWags »

I had a dodgy sensor. I had a fiddle with the connection and the wiggled the wires at the sensor. Managed to get the Speedo to work for a bit. Not really a scientific test I know but it gave me confirmation that the sensor was dodgy. Plus I knew it had been snagged with a lock and chain
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

Welcome to the forum min. There is a dashboard wiring loom on eBay with the same fella as wickey posted.Maybe that.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
minirolls

Post by minirolls »

Cheers guys, bought the one Wicky posted a link to, gotta be worth a try for 20 quid, if not I can always bang back on ebay. If this doesn't work I guess it must be the loom although I'm reading the correct voltages on the back of the instrument panel so doubt it's that. Will let you know if it works.
Furrybiker

Post by Furrybiker »

I had something similar on mine, I replaced the sensor cable and all was fine for a while.
Then it started playing up again, I simply loosened the bolts that fix the sensor to the gearbox, since then all fine.
I am tempting fate here, aren’t I!