Manual cam chain tensioners

New here? Come in and introduce yourself
Geeman

Manual cam chain tensioners

Post by Geeman »

Hi there
As a newbie on here don't shout at me if you have herd it all before. When fitting manual cam chain tensioners do you really have to strip cam covers and all the tank and air box etc to fit the tensioners, Someone said it takes half an hour...dreaming or true...cheers
StormyRob

Re: Manual cam chain tensioners

Post by StormyRob »

I considered myself new to all this when I did mine and I personally would say 30 minutes is dreaming if you are going to do it.

You need to check timing etc so yes the cam covers need to come off mate. And the only way to do that on the front is to get the tank and airbox off.

1) You will only need to do it once. Hopefully
2) It will give you more of a feel for how the bike works etc.

Go for it. Good guide on here and plenty of people that can help.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
alanfjones1411

Post by alanfjones1411 »

I had never done any work of this nature before but with the step by step guide on the forum I done it. It took all day and part of the next day.
SO WHEN DOES THIS OLD ENOUGH TO KNOW BETTER KICK IN
MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Simple answer is yes you can do it without stripping half the bike down...

With a proviso or two...

1/ You know what your doing & are fully confident in your abilitie's with spanners & the inside of a VTR. :thumbup:

2/Your not botherd if it goes wrong & have a deep pockets to pay for the repair's coz you feked it up taking short cut's. :crazy:

3/ You have the time to do it all again this time properly as the timings out coz you couln't see the relevent bits as you didnt strip it down far enough. :roll:

So take your time do it properly or get some who knows how to do it & either pay them or let them advise you along the way... Someone on here will no doubt be willing to help if local for the price of tea/coffee & busciuts/cake/baccon butties.

Might help if you let us know where abouts you live...Put a location in your name box thingy...

Oh & in your opening post you asked if ''do you really have to strip cam covers and all the tank and air box etc '' Well I think you'll find that the tank & airbox has to come off first to get to the cam covers...

So I think that rules out point 1/... :wink:

Look I may have been sarcastic there but I didn't shout... :lol: :lol:
Last edited by MacV2 on Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

ImageVTR Firestorm and other bikes t-shirts
AMCQ46

Post by AMCQ46 »

anybody who says they will do it for you without taking the cam covers off .... don't let them do the work, run away and take your keys with you.

on a 4 cyl bike you can do the CCT without setting the correct TDC position, but on a single cyl engine you cant do that and the V twin is effectively 2 singles on a common crank.

there is a way to do the front CCT without taking the front cam cover off, but that's the only shortcut I would allow, and for that you would need to follow some extra instructions for how to set the tension on the front CCT based on the number of turns out from fully hand tight that you used for the rear CCT at 7mm slack
AMcQ
fabiostar

Post by fabiostar »

these men speak the truth :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
the older i get,the faster i was :lol:
Geeman

Post by Geeman »

Hi there
Thanks all...we have had all the carbs etc off as the bike has been laid up for a few years so we stripped it to within an inch of its life to check for rubbish in the carbs etc...spanners and engines dont phase me so if the instructions are there not a problem...is there a link anyone can put on so i can have a browse. I am getting them from Ade as they look the most engineered etc...thanks all
Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

I want to do my ones and implement the infamous 'stopper mod' not had the guts yet! Thought I might wait for the colder months so if I F it up I haven't missed the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If we don't learn from our mistakes we are destin to repeat them
StormyRob

Post by StormyRob »

Geeman wrote:Hi there
Thanks all...we have had all the carbs etc off as the bike has been laid up for a few years so we stripped it to within an inch of its life to check for rubbish in the carbs etc...spanners and engines dont phase me so if the instructions are there not a problem...is there a link anyone can put on so i can have a browse. I am getting them from Ade as they look the most engineered etc...thanks all
Just for future reference it's easy enough to use the search function on the site.

http://www.vtr1000.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?t=28583

This is a decent guide. I used it and mine worked afterwards.
If you don't try you never know if you can do it.
Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Look in the workshop knowledgebase section
Geeman wrote:Hi there
It may be that your whole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Don't you live Colchester way Wicky? I might call in you for some advice.

Wicky

Post by Wicky »

Solarboy wrote:Don't you live Colchester way Wicky? I might call in you for some advice. Image
Yup i'm a little bimble down the road

Solarboy

Post by Solarboy »

Cool, well if you ever need advice on heat pumps or renewables I'm your man.

MacV2

Post by MacV2 »

Solarboy wrote:I want to do my ones and implement the infamous 'stopper mod' not had the guts yet! Thought I might wait for the colder months so if I F it up I haven't missed the summer. Image
The Accts as fitted may not wait till the colder months to go pop...best get it done before then...
Making up since 2007, sometimes it's true...Honest...